• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Modernist Ingredient Kits

Chris Hennes

The smallest quantity of PGA FMC sells is 20 kg. I've requested a sample, but does anyone know of a source for smaller quantities?

I was talking to the rep at the PMCA today about getting a sample of PGA - we ran up against a little issue as she needed me to pin myself down to exactly which PGA I needed and for the life of me I couldn't figure that out.

What recipe is it for?

I confirmed in the book last night that it should be the protonal ester variety; I was interested in the bulletproof beurre blanc, but it comes up a lot.

The smallest quantity of PGA FMC sells is 20 kg. I've requested a sample, but does anyone know of a source for smaller quantities?

I was talking to the rep at the PMCA today about getting a sample of PGA - we ran up against a little issue as she needed me to pin myself down to exactly which PGA I needed and for the life of me I couldn't figure that out.

What recipe is it for?

I confirmed in the book last night that it should be the protonal ester variety; I was interested in the bulletproof beurre blanc, but it comes up a lot.

Thanks - I e-mailed her back and told her what I wanted - now to see if I actually get it.

Thanks. Did you notice any difference in your burger bun using it?

I had searched amazon but I guess I just saw the bottle and assumed it was more tablets. Should have looked closer. I'll see if I can find that brand in Canada.

I have never made the burger buns without it, so I can't compare. The dough was quite slack, but perhaps not as slack as I expected. Then again, at the time I lacked a milligram scale, so I sort of eyeballed the very minute quantity called for. Coupled with the fact that it appears that this L-cystein is only about 75% pure, I probably didn't have enough in there. The only way to be certain, of course, is to make the buns a couple more times with various iterations.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Then again, at the time I lacked a milligram scale, so I sort of eyeballed the very minute quantity called for.

I take it you now have a milligram scale? Where did you find one, and did it cost you an arm and a leg? The only ones I've found are more expensive than I'm willing to spend at the moment.

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Then again, at the time I lacked a milligram scale, so I sort of eyeballed the very minute quantity called for.

I take it you now have a milligram scale? Where did you find one, and did it cost you an arm and a leg? The only ones I've found are more expensive than I'm willing to spend at the moment.

MelissaH

I've got some nice ones - I could bring one along for you to the chocolate conference.

I've got some nice ones - I could bring one along for you to the chocolate conference.

I wish that would work—but unfortunately, I'm not even going to be able to make it over to Buffalo on Friday. Unless someone wants to hire me a limo with driver?

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

What recipe is it for?

Thanks - I e-mailed her back and told her what I wanted - now to see if I actually get it.

I asked for the Protanal Ester BV830, whatever the aerated Coffee Ice Cream calls for. Are there other versions of the PGA called for in the book somewhere?

Mike

Im not sure where it should go, here or an MC thread, but could we start compiling a list of Modernist Ingredients, and the recipe they are used in?

For Example

Mac and Cheese - Sodium Citrate

That way we could also ad generic name if a brand name is used, and successful alternatives if someone uses one.

Im not sure where it should go, here or an MC thread, but could we start compiling a list of Modernist Ingredients, and the recipe they are used in?

For Example

Mac and Cheese - Sodium Citrate

That way we could also ad generic name if a brand name is used, and successful alternatives if someone uses one.

This would be good on the Wiki

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

Anyone (preferably in Canada) who has already bought Iota Carrageenan and would sell me a smaller quantity than the 500 gram container that I have found so far? Or two or 3 people who would like to share in said quantity. Perhaps other ingredients as well, though not sure what else I might want/need - I have only just received MC and it will take ages to get through it and figure out what else I need. A list of popular ingredients would be useful indeed (It is probably in MC already though?)

Would like to try the Mac & Cheese but it would take a long time and lots of pasta to go through 500g.

Llyn Strelau

Calgary, Alberta

Canada

Anyone (preferably in Canada) who has already bought Iota Carrageenan and would sell me a smaller quantity than the 500 gram container that I have found so far? Or two or 3 people who would like to share in said quantity. Perhaps other ingredients as well, though not sure what else I might want/need - I have only just received MC and it will take ages to get through it and figure out what else I need. A list of popular ingredients would be useful indeed (It is probably in MC already though?)

Would like to try the Mac & Cheese but it would take a long time and lots of pasta to go through 500g.

Send me a PM - I'm sure we can get some stuff out to you.

• 4 weeks later...

I just bit the bullet and ordered 1 kilo of Activa RM. Since that's at least a 10 lifetime supply I'll share it at my cost. E-mail me if you're interested.

Has anyone found a source that will actually sell propylene glycol alginate (protanal esther) yet?

Larry

Larry Lofthouse

• 2 weeks later...

I really want to make the Pistachio Gelato but I'm having trouble finding a reliable source for the Polysorbate 80 (Tween 80). I have locust bean gum already, lambda carrageenen should be easy enough and glycerol monostearate seems to be common in bodybuilding so that can probably be found fairly easy too.

• 2 months later...

I've looked high and low. I can't seem to find any supplier.... I even doubt that FMC would sell it to me, 20 kg or not. Anyone have any luck?

I've looked high and low. I can't seem to find any supplier.... I even doubt that FMC would sell it to me, 20 kg or not. Anyone have any luck?

I ran into the same dead end. Oh well.

They will sell through their distributors. Here is an e-mail I got from the western distributor.

Your request sent into FMC was forwarded onto me. E.T. Horn is the official distributor for FMC in the West. I have attached the specification sheet for the BV 4830 to this email for your review.

The Protanal Ester BV 4830 is packed in a 20kg bag with 50 bags per pallet. This is not a normal stock item for us, so please allow 4-6 weeks lead time.

20kg 200kg

Protanal Ester BV 4830 $42.86/kg $37.15/kg

Above prices are FOB La Mirada,CA.

Please let me know if you would like any other information...

Thank you,

Jacqueline

HTH,

Larry

Edited by LoftyNotions (log)

Larry Lofthouse

• 1 month later...

If you haven't already found something, they may be able to help you here. I haven't had need of it but I had this bookmarked in case I ever do.

I organized the toys today, I was actually a bit surprised at how much of this stuff I've accumulated.

acid, ascorbic

acid, citric

acid, malic

acid, tartaric

activa RM

calcium ascorbate

calcium chloride

calcium lactate

calcium lactate gluconate

carrageenan, iota

carrageenan, kappa

carrageenan, lambda

gellan, high acyl

gellan, low acyl

glucono delta lactone

glycerol monostearate

gum, agar

gum, arabic

gum, guar

gum, konjac

gum, locust bean

gum, tara

gum, ticaloid 310-S

gum, xanthan

lecithin

methylcellulose, SGA-16M

methylcellulose, SGA-7C

methylcellulose, F50

N-zorbit tapioca maltodextrin

pectin, apple

pectin, G

pectin, LM104-AS

pectin, NH

pectin, yellow slow-set

sodium alginate

sodium citrate

sodium hexameta phosphate

sorbitol

stabi 3000

stabi sorbet

ultrasperse 3

ultrasperse M

ultratex 3

versawhip 600k

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.