• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Modernist Ingredient Kits

Chris Hennes

. . . .

I have the ThinkGeek kit and it is good for what it is and contains. I noticed the kit is actually French in origin so no doubt you could order from them direct. I checked their website and they had a purchasing section. The company is Cuisine Innovation. Interestingly, they have a recipe book, but only in French at this time.

Thanks! I was starting to think that I'd have to just pick up some things at L'Epicerie when I was in NYC, and I didn't really love the idea of transporting bags/jars of white poweders through customs, and having the TSA folks open and paw everything with dirty rubber gloves.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

For those who are looking in Australia, Red Spoon has a starter kit containing:

Spherification:

200g Sodium Alginate

250g Calcium Chloride

250g Sodium Citrate

150g Calcium Gluconate

Emulsion, Stabilise and Thicken:

200g Xanthan Gum

180g Lecithin Powder

180g Methylcellulose

250g Guar Gum

200g Locust Bean Gum

Texture

180g Maltodextrin

250g Isomalt

Gelling

200g Agar Agar Powder

180g Kappa Powder

180g Iota Powder

It is $207.65 at the moment.

Link here.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

Anyone else in London getting the book but needs some of the modernist ingredients.

A while back purchased most of the Texturas range which come in giant pots that as a home cook I'll probably never get through (Way to much lethicin - want rancid) and also was at a supplier presentation for a supermarket and blagged a sample kit of additives. Guar gum, Locust bean gum etc etc.

I'd be happy to supply some bags of white powder to get you going (Oh dear now I'm sounding like a drug dealer), also it woiuld be good to meet up with others working with these ingredients. Be handy to get a group together so we could share the cost of some of ingredients that are often more economically or only available in sizes way to large for an experimental cook.

Intersted message me

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

What is everyone doing about a gram scale for all these ingredients?

I currently have a Jennings 50XV which measures in increments of .01g up to 50 grams. I haven't felt the need of a scale measuring greater than 50 grams (just have to allow for the container I'm weighing in to). Anyone find they need a larger capacity for any of the recipes they have tried so far?

I need to pick up a couple for people who are asking - if anyone (I'm thinking Canadians here - although I do cross the border fairly often) wants to go in on a group buy send me a PM and I'll see if I can get us a deal.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

I currently have a Jennings 50XV which measures in increments of .01g up to 50 grams. I haven't felt the need of a scale measuring greater than 50 grams (just have to allow for the container I'm weighing in to). Anyone find they need a larger capacity for any of the recipes they have tried so far?

I need to pick up a couple for people who are asking - if anyone (I'm thinking Canadians here - although I do cross the border fairly often) wants to go in on a group buy send me a PM and I'll see if I can get us a deal.

Kerry,

In this thread

the Chris Brothers told me about a pocket scale they both own and like. It's cheap, it's accurate, and it's shipped free.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/digital-pocket-scale-2lb-1kg-1165

I bought that one and then the one that is accurate to .01g just in case I had to measure very small amounts.

I currently have a Jennings 50XV which measures in increments of .01g up to 50 grams.

I'd have to check to see what brand mine is but it goes to 50g in .001g increments. I have other scales for weights over 50g, I've never needed .001 accuracy for anything that I was using over 50g of.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I haven't: all the measures I have seen max out at hundredths of a gram, and the majority in tenths. Of course, my scale resolving only to tenths is obviously iffy when the recipe calls for tenths, you'd like one additional digit. Also, this only applies if you are making the stated quantity: if you want to cut a recipe down, now you might be talking about wanting more accuracy. Surprisingly (to me anyway) is that the recipes given seem to be geared toward making four portions, so it's not like these are recipes you are going to want to make 10% of or something.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Going into that range isn't particularly uncommon with some ingredients, especially when doing very small batches for testing purposes. I don't have Modernist Cuisine and it may be quite a while before I do so I don't know if there's any need for it in regards to the recipes in that book. As to whether using .01g instead of .012g or .02g instead of .018g is going to make a significant difference in the end result, I'd say in most cases no... I'm just kinda OCD about things being "right".

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I have an American Weigh BT2-201 scale purchased from Amazon for $15 plus about $5.00 shipping. It reads to .01 grams and seems to be pretty reproduceable to plus or minus .02 grams. Realistically, if I'm within .1 grams on a 5 gram measurement it's good enough for me.

Reviews on Amazon have been good. The lid hinge is kind of bogus but I'm very happy with this scale, especially considering the price.

Larry Lofthouse

I'd still love to see some smaller portions of transglutaminase.

There seems to be a product opportunity for Nathan (or a partner) here.

The problem is that the company that sells it doesn't pack it anything smaller than the 1 kg packages (other than the sample 100g packs which they don't sell) and once any individual opens that 1 kg package to divide it into smaller quantities the shelf life is very greatly reduced. Around two months from opening if you immediately divide it, vacuum seal it, toss it in the freezer and have luck on your side. So unless someone can convince them to make the 100g packs available to distributors, we're out of luck on smaller packaging. Even then, going through 100g in two months isn't as easy as it may sound unless you have a lot of projects already lined up in advance.

I'd still love to see some smaller portions of transglutaminase.

There seems to be a product opportunity for Nathan (or a partner) here.

The problem is that the company that sells it doesn't pack it anything smaller than the 1 kg packages (other than the sample 100g packs which they don't sell) and once any individual opens that 1 kg package to divide it into smaller quantities the shelf life is very greatly reduced. Around two months from opening if you immediately divide it, vacuum seal it, toss it in the freezer and have luck on your side. So unless someone can convince them to make the 100g packs available to distributors, we're out of luck on smaller packaging. Even then, going through 100g in two months isn't as easy as it may sound unless you have a lot of projects already lined up in advance.

How is it packaged in the 1 kg so it has a longer shelf life?

There is an oxygen absorbing packet in the lining of the bag, and the bag itself is made of thick mylar in the outer layer (which is very airtight).

What is the shelf life packaged that way?

There is an oxygen absorbing packet in the lining of the bag, and the bag itself is made of thick mylar in the outer layer (which is very airtight).

What is the shelf life packaged that way?

Supposed to be at least a year, I've never kept one unopened that long to find out though.

Can mylar be sealed in a vacuum chamber?

I don't know but if you ever want to split a bag, let me know. You can take yours and get it safely sealed and stashed away before sending mine on to me because I'll probably be less concerned about the shelf life than you may be. I have some projects in mind that I was going to need more for eventually but they aren't on a particular time schedule. Just some ideas I want to play with.

I suspect the Mylar serves two purposes: 1) prevents exposure to light and air, and 2) looks cool. There are a number of ways to deal with both that don't require resealing.

I'm not claiming there are no work-arounds out there that people have come up with. Just in my personal experience, I've never got more than a couple months out of it once opened. If there are ways to stretch it significantly beyond that, I'd love to hear about them because it would be much better than tossing a percentage of a relatively expensive ingredient if I don't find a way to use it up in time.