• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Modernist Ingredient Kits

Chris Hennes

I just got the "Artistre" kit from Amazon, which is a pretty nice starter collection. It's got about 50g of:

• Tapioca Maltodextrin
  • Kappa Carageenan
  • Sodium Citrate
  • Sodium Alginate
  • Calcium Lactate Gluconate
  • Glycerin flakes
  • Methocellulose F50
  • Calcium Lactate
  • Calcium Chloride
  • Xantham Gum
  • Lecithin
  • Agar Agar

All told it's a pretty nice starter kit (though I wish it had Iota Carageenan so I could make the Macaroni and Cheese in Modernist Cuisine). Has anyone else bought this one, or any of the others out there?

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Thanks, Chris. I just ordered my set.

I was eyeing that mac & cheese too, but the only reasonable source I could find for the Iota Carrageenan was here. Over $50 with shipping and I don't need a pound. Ideas?

Doesn't help you at all but the price of these things differs so much from place to place. I could get you 30oz for $52 shipped...

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...

Chef Facebook HQ Menlo Park, CA

My eGullet Foodblog

I was eyeing that mac & cheese too, but the only reasonable source I could find for the Iota Carrageenan was here. Over $50 with shipping and I don't need a pound. Ideas?

Split it with other eG folks?

Looks like at least one taker in this thread already.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Bummer, that Experimental Kit Artistre says "Shipping for this item is only available within the Continental U.S."

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Thanks for starting this topic, Chris, and for your efforts to help us stock our Modernist pantries. I'll check out that Amazon kit.

I'd certainly be up for sharing ingredients like the iota carrageenan, too. Buying a pound when you need a gram at a time is hard to swallow.

Thanks, Chris. I just ordered my set.

Check the price and shipping at L'Epicerie

And check their other Molecular Gastronomy ingredients.

Note under "Specials" that there is free delivery in Manhattan.

P.S. I use their flavorings which are superior to others I have tried.

The "Bacon" is extraordinary.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Anyone know of a more or less comparable (with regard to quality/quantities/cost) kit that's available in the EU?

Amazon's UK site offers the elBulli Texturas Mini Kit, which is a little on the pricey side for me. ThinkGeek ships internationally, but I have no idea of the quality of the set they offer (the sell baconnaise, too). I've found some EU sellers, but quality is a real concern... I'm afraid I just don't know which brands are reputable.

Any thoughts/suggestions in this regard would be much appreciated.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

I just ordered some from http://www.willpowder.net/products.html, who will sell you a three ounce package (though of course shipping will run you about the same as the product... oh well).

The WillPowder products are available with free shipping if you have Amazon Prime. The 16-ounce Methylcellulose F50 is $32.15. Another vendor has a pound for $32.60 without the free shipping.

I am wondering what you all are using to weigh this stuff. I have 2 digital kitchen scales, but they are both only accurate to 1 gram. How accurate do I need it to be? Is a tenth of a gram enough? Any suggestions on a good precise scale?

I am a bit worried about what the neighbors will think with a precision scale and all these white powders...

I am wondering what you all are using to weigh this stuff. I have 2 digital kitchen scales, but they are both only accurate to 1 gram. How accurate do I need it to be? Is a tenth of a gram enough? Any suggestions on a good precise scale?

I am a bit worried about what the neighbors will think with a precision scale and all these white powders...

I've been using this one for precision measurements, cheap and works great...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P1NYE8/ref=oss_product/?tag=egulletsociety-20

Anyone know of a more or less comparable (with regard to quality/quantities/cost) kit that's available in the EU?

Amazon's UK site offers the elBulli Texturas Mini Kit, which is a little on the pricey side for me. ThinkGeek ships internationally, but I have no idea of the quality of the set they offer (the sell baconnaise, too). I've found some EU sellers, but quality is a real concern... I'm afraid I just don't know which brands are reputable.

Any thoughts/suggestions in this regard would be much appreciated.

I have the ThinkGeek kit and it is good for what it is and contains. I noticed the kit is actually French in origin so no doubt you could order from them direct. I checked their website and they had a purchasing section. The company is Cuisine Innovation. Interestingly, they have a recipe book, but only in French at this time.