• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stock or broth with only chicken feet

faronem

Better Than Bullion: Chicken meat including natural chicken juices, salt, sugar, corn syrup solids, chicken fat, hydrolyzed soy protein, dried whey, flavoring, disodium inosinate and guanylate, turmeric.

Tim

Better Than Bouillon Organic, Reduced Sodium (from Costco):

chicken meat and natural juices, maltodextrin, salt, chicken stock, cane sugar, chicken fat, potato starch, natural flavor, dried onion, dried garlic, tumeric.

Everything except the salt and natural flavor are organic; 350mg sodium per 8oz. stock.

While it's not like homemade (and what is?), so far it's the best that I can find in an economical instant chix base.

Monterey Bay area

• 2 years later...

I was running out space in my freezer, so I took the chicken feet I'd purchased for a Chinese Dim Sum dish and turned them into stock. The results are really good. There's not much flavour on their own but the texture is rich, thick, and full on the pallet.

I found just a couple of recipes online for, or using, such a stock. I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a region or cuisine that does use stock from chicken feet?

Lastly, every recipe I found said you must cut the nails off the feet, but I can't see why. Also, one recipe said we should skin the feet before proceeding to the stock. Does anyone have a good guess as to why?

Thank you much,

I often make stock from chicken feet. Or if making from a carcase, the feet (and wing tips and head) usually go into the stock pot too. Feet do make a lovely textured stock.

Many of my Chinese friends and neighbours (South China) also use feet for stock. I don't think it's anything unusual. They are about the cheapest part of the bird, so...

I never bother to clip the nails. I can see that applying to making the feet for eating (which I never do), but for stock I can't see the need. Nor can I see Chinese cooks skinning the feet first. They seldom skin anything!

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

My typical chicken stock starts with about 3 or 4 lbs necks and backs (or whatever) and 1 lb of feet. I'd rather get a root canal than clip the nails. And it seems ghoulish to skin them, to say nothing of...wasteful. It's a safe bet that anyone on earth with ancestors who owned chickens comes from people that used chicken feet for something.

I don't bother with the nails but I do skin them. By that, I mean the very thin yellowish skin that can be easily peeled off, not the thicker layer under. I skin them because the outer layer is not pleasant to eat.

Stock using chicken feet is commonly used in Chinese cuisine.

I use all sorts of combinations for maki chicken stock but, if I plan and prepare to make stock, I always use chicken feet. I've never clipped

Edited by basquecook (log)

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

I was looking for a Mennonite soup recipe online but didn't find it. Maybe Edna Staebler wrote about it, just a guess.

Chicken feet are the main ingredient, and handfuls of fresh savory a necessary flavoring. Very rich flavor, food that shmecks!

I did find an interesting Jamaican recipe, with okra and a Scotch bonnet. http://www.jamaicatravelandculture.com/food_and_drink/chicken-foot-soup.htm

Well, follow up on stock made only from chicken feet:

I used two kilos in a 12 liter pot with two changes of mirepoix (I put the mirepoix in a metal colander which I can remove and replace the vegetables.

I've never experienced that much body in a soup before. I was able to quickly teach my kids what "body" mean in food. The volume of chicken feed did add chicken flavor. What I ended up doing to put more chicken flavor into the soups I've so far made is add quenelle made from chicken breast.

Here an example.

. . . or not. I don't know how to add a pic here. Well, until I figure this out you can see a pic here:

http://madebyyouandi.com/2014/02/06/waste-not-mushroom-soup-with-chicken-mousseline/