• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Keurig reusable filter basket

thock

We have a Keurig coffee machine at work. However, I think the K-cups are way too expensive, so I was happy when I found a reusable filter like this at a local store for $5.00. When I was reading the directions, it suggested to use a French press grind, and NOT to use a fine grind like an espresso grind so as not to under-extract.

I used some French Market coffee, which is pre-ground for drip, for my first cup, and it turned out ok, but a bit weak.

Am I wrong to think that the Keurig brews too quickly to get good extraction out of anything more coarse than drip? It seems to me that the directions are counter-intuitive.

Tracy

Lenexa, KS, USA

I use a Turkish grind, which is very fine, in the "My K-Cup" and find that the coffee is fine. I have not tried a coarser grind in it yet.

'A person's integrity is never more tested than when he has power over a voiceless creature.' A C Grayling.

I get no sludge at the bottom of the cup. By the way, Keurig told me that you should replace the baskets every six months or so. I don't believe that for one minute. I put mine in the dishwasher every so often and they are as good as new.

'A person's integrity is never more tested than when he has power over a voiceless creature.' A C Grayling.

• 1 year later...

I like a stronger than average coffee and I was struggling to get something worthwile out of my keurig my k-cup but this instructables post really helped. I use an espresso roast , the grind is fairly fine. I actually brought it down much finer after seeing what size grind they use in actual k-cups. I also tap and tamp slightly along with using the method in the instructables link.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Get-a-STRONGER-Brew-from-your-My-Kcup/

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow