• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

thock

Keurig reusable filter basket

thock   

We have a Keurig coffee machine at work. However, I think the K-cups are way too expensive, so I was happy when I found a reusable filter like this at a local store for $5.00. When I was reading the directions, it suggested to use a French press grind, and NOT to use a fine grind like an espresso grind so as not to under-extract.

I used some French Market coffee, which is pre-ground for drip, for my first cup, and it turned out ok, but a bit weak.

Am I wrong to think that the Keurig brews too quickly to get good extraction out of anything more coarse than drip? It seems to me that the directions are counter-intuitive.

mbhank   

I use a Turkish grind, which is very fine, in the "My K-Cup" and find that the coffee is fine. I have not tried a coarser grind in it yet.

thock   

Thank you! I will try that.

Do you get a lot of "sludge" in the bottom of your cup of coffee?

mbhank   

I get no sludge at the bottom of the cup. By the way, Keurig told me that you should replace the baskets every six months or so. I don't believe that for one minute. I put mine in the dishwasher every so often and they are as good as new.

thock   

Thanks, again!

I forgot mine for work, today, so I'll try the finer grind tomorrow.

thock   

I did try it on Friday, with a pretty fine grind (from my Capresso Infinity (about the middle of the finest set of settings)), and it worked well. No sludge, either.

Ashen   

I like a stronger than average coffee and I was struggling to get something worthwile out of my keurig my k-cup but this instructables post really helped. I use an espresso roast , the grind is fairly fine. I actually brought it down much finer after seeing what size grind they use in actual k-cups. I also tap and tamp slightly along with using the method in the instructables link.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Get-a-STRONGER-Brew-from-your-My-Kcup/

• Similar Content

• By Tammy
      I hope this isn't an idiot question.  But I have no idea what the differences are.  Please teach me.
    • By Bentley
      I had a request for a coffee flavored bon bon.  I am not a coffee fan, so I've never made anything with it.  I've seen two types of recipes - one that infuses the cream with the beans and one that uses brewed coffee.  I'm curious which type of recipe is used by most people here.  If you infuse the cream, are you straining the beans out or are you using a fine enough grind to not create textural problems in the ganache?  If you use brewed coffee, are you reducing the cream by the amount of the coffee liquid on a one to one basis?  Thanks!