• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sofrito

Darienne

My wonderful and generous NJ friend who brought me a care package of Hispanic type ingredients last August included a few bottles of Goya Sofrito, a tomato cooking base, and also several frozen packs of her own Sofrito which she uses in her Mexican dishes. Her Sofrito is green, not red.

I found two mentions of 'sofrito' in the Mexican Cooking posts.

Does anyone use it? How do you use it? Do you make it? It can be both green and red? How does it stand in the hierarchy of Mexican cooking? Is it like 'Velveeta' instead of Cheddar cheese in North American cooking? (sorry, I hate Velveeta)

Any information is welcomed. Thanks.

ps. I might also mention that she smuggled about a gallon of Sangria across the border also. Got to be crazy! I'm not sure she even realized that you simply CAN'T do those sorts of things. :raz:

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

The Daisy Fuentes recipe is very similar to the one I use. I've always been told that the bottled stuff will work if you have to use it, but it's just not the same as a batch you can make from scratch.

I typically make it in big batches during the summer when I can get really fresh herbs and peppers. It freezes well and adds to any bean dish and a lot of soups. I also like to use it with omelettes or over seafood.

You'll have better luck looking for it in Caribbean recipes. It's more of a Cuban or Puerto Rican technique than a Mexican one.

I keep a couple of jars of these Goya products in my pantry in case I don't have the time to put a traditional one together.

The red is "Sofrito" the green is "Recaito" that is based on cilantro.

The method I was taught takes some time for the flavors to develop.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 2 weeks later...

Darienne to shed some light... Sofritos (in the most generic sense) are used EXTENSIVELY in Mexican cooking.. but many people don't refer to them by name.. I believe for the following reasons:

1) There are in infinite number of Guisados that start with a Sofrito in the most generic sense... cooked down melange of tomatoes, onion, peppers, spices etc... this practice is likely as old as the fully developed Milpa (4,000 to 6,000 years or so)... they are an automatic, people don't think about it... its like Europeans sprinkling salt & pepper.

2) The variations possible (and in existence) of sofritos with all the combinations of chiles (fresh, smoked, dried), Tomates and/or Tomatillos, herbs etc... means having seperate names for each variety not practical. Particularly understanding the nature of Mexican cooking... you learn some techniques and make them work with what ever Seasonal ingredients are available and you adjust to the characteristics of the ingredients you are working with.

The Carribbean & Spanish cooks can codify Sofrito.. because they really have a small number of variations and it is something relatively recent in their cuisine.

With that said... there are parts of Mexico that would recognize the term Sofrito & Recaudo.

So in the end... yes you can use Sofritos to prepare solidly authentic Mexican dishes.. but the Mexican way is to generally start with fresh ingredients.. but that is not always practical depending on where you are in the world.