• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Margot's New Website

Basildog

Basil, that's great.

I like your sample menus a great deal and look forward to the completion of the site.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Not exactly a stylistic tour de force but it tells punters what they need to know which is a step in the right direction. I assume there's a picture on the opening page but it didn't show up in my browser (ie6). Keep it cookin'. :cool:

I assume this is helpful and not just petty, so here goes. I won't comment on the design, but it's a classic example of using the web to communicate rather than do handstands and show off. As someone who uses the web mostly to retrieve information rather than for entertaniment, I appreciate that.

The opening page picture didn't show up on my browser either. I might opt for a smaller sans serif type face, but tha't subjective. On the About Us page in the last paragraph, last sentence "There" is misspelled as "Ther."

There's some unfortunate formatting/line breaks on the Delicatessen page at the bread listing. It may depend on the size of the viewer's window.

I assume you are aware that some pages are blank and that it's a matter of getting around to doing the work, rather than an error in code.

I'd love to comment on your food as well, but it's just a bit less accessible to me from where I sit. :sad:

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Thanks Bux. Yes , there are several spelling mistakes and other stuff i want to change.Not petty at all.I just need to learn how to make the changes, then i can tinker with the content.Th pictures don't show up for me either.This is a work in progress :laugh:

I clicked "Mail Order" and my browser window showed "Done" at the bottom. So I assume that my order for 16 large jars of Poached Pears will be delivered in time for Christmas. :biggrin::laugh:

Seriously, Dog, please get onto this straightaway will you ? There's a good chap

I'm not dissin' the 'dog, simple is good, as Bux puts it you are giving information. Web content editing at that level is pretty simple if you get a decent editor (I assume you're not writing raw HTML), and there are lots about that come either free or cheap. I could probably give you a hand if it came to that, I've done one or two in my time (and that does mean one or two, not the British understatement meaning dozens!). Feel free to ask for assistance (and I'm quite good at proofreading, words like delicatessen)

Hey Basildog!! ^5's on getting it up.. The website. :laugh:

I realize how long you have been wanting to do that. It's looking good and in time will be just the way you want it!!

It fits Margot's perfectly. Straight forward and informative as others have said here.

One suggestion.. New button. First stage. pics... :shock:

Good stuff mate!!

I just went to check out your site and saw that the image on the splash page seems to be missing in action. Thought you would want to know.

It looks like the file name of the image has a couple of spaces in it - "Adrian & Julie.jpg" which translates in HTML to "Adrian%20&%20Julie.jpg". This can cause problems with some browsers. You might want to change the file name to "Adrian&Julie.jpg" and relink it to the page.

Actually the "&" (ampersand) is more likely to cause problems than the space; you're best off getting rid of both ("Adrian-and-Julie.jpg" or similar). I can't get the picture to load even after messing with the URL a bit.

Looks like a good start B'dog

One day I will have to hop in my tardis and come down that way

Mention of the ampersand reminds me that I once went on a date with the woman who was the grand daughter of Mr Amper who was a Hot metal typesetter and carver for The Times. he designed the Ampers set of hot metal type and the name comes from the squiggle for and which was known as "amper's and"

So there you go. Not sure if it was true or not but the story just mde the date fly by.........

S

Simon: hm. According to the OED, it's a "corruption of ‘and per se -- and’, the old way of spelling and naming the character &; i.e. ‘& by itself = and;’ found in various forms in almost all the dialect Glossaries." First citation is from 1837, so your date must have been pretty old if she was telling the truth ... then again she was probably so swamped with endorphins at your typological smalltalk she was desperate to get you interested, even if it meant lying. Certainly the thought of you murmuring quietly across a candlelit dinner table about glyphs and em dashes makes me feel weak at the knees.

There are reasons for the various bits that do not work in the website. The main one is that Basildog managed to lose the CD containing his copy and the only copy that I had was not up to date. If Basildog would stop playing with babydog for ten minutes & let me have the details I have asked him for I would be only too pleased to bring the whole thing up to date. I have only been waiting two weeks :angry: .

To those of you that have taken the time to make comments on the site "Thank You"

• 3 weeks later...

That's great, Glenwood. :smile:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Wiszhing youu llvck,. Hsard tio tttttttyupe wit crtossed fingferds.