• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crunch without nuts

BadRabbit

Those dried pea and corn snacks? Or Chicharrones?

I just came from the Indian Spice store. That place was full of bags of dozens of variations of fried extruded things....lentils and such. I was thinking I can use them in place of those Asian crispy onions on casseroles. Fish too maybe.

I think there might be sweet ones too, but wouldn't hold up to baking in something, though on the frosting could work.

• 2 weeks later...

So, as you can see, many options available. Basically if you are able to dry any food (that is: apply dry heat until crunchy, either by, say, using an oven or deep frying), then you have your crunchy alternatives to nuts to add texture. Other options?

Crumbled taco chells or nachos

Chips (any kind will do)

Cereal. Most of the time, cereal is crunchy, but won't remain that way in a moist environment

Cookies and/or crackers

Croutons or any stale bread

Dough, in general, like a touille works great

Follow me @chefcgarcia

Fábula, my restaurant in Santiago, Chile

My Blog, en Español