• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crunch without nuts

BadRabbit

I hate nuts in my food. I am not averse to them as stand alone snacks; I just don't like them in things.

That said, there are plenty of times where I really want to add a textural element to a dessert or savory dish when I know most people would just add nuts.

What are some other options?

Rice Krispies. They can also be coated with a thin layer of caramel to make them more water-resistant I think, but they work nicely on their own as a coating on truffles and the like. There are also extensive possibilities for various deep-fried things.

This is actually what got me thinking about this subject. I hate chocolate bars with nuts but love them with Rice Krispies. The "crunch" of nuts always seems to be more muted (and to me much less enjoyable) than what you get from puffed rice or toffee.

My local health food store carries a nut-free muesli which is quite crunchy and holds this crunch in baked goods.

I use it in cookie bars and have used it in frosting for "German chocolate cake" for people who have nut allergies.

I'm pretty sure I have seen it at Whole Foods, although it has been a few weeks since I visited the store.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Sweet croutons.

How? What? Sounds interesting.

In the Netherlands I bought a couple of cones of broken Syrup Waffle bits. Wish I'd bought more. I'm thinking crispy pizelles(?) would be good

try corn bread croutons. yum!

In the sweet category, crumbled amaretti cookies are great with ice cream.

Extra crunch can come from uncooked noodles such as crumbled ramen on a salad.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Sweet croutons.

How? What? Sounds interesting.

In the Netherlands I bought a couple of cones of broken Syrup Waffle bits. Wish I'd bought more. I'm thinking crispy pizelles(?) would be good

Why not get sugar cones made for ice cream, and crunch them up?

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I second the potato chip idea, either just as they are, or crushed and sprinkled over, or used as breading as above. As they are I prefer really thin chips, for "brading" I like the thick cut ones better.

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

I tried a recipe from Anne Burrell that coated Halibut in instant mashed potato flakes. It was nice and crunchy. You can view the recipe on the Food Network website (Crispy Herb Crusted Halibut with Curly Celery and Haricots Verts)