• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kale!

Stone

"You can really taste the kale!" -- Woody Boyd.

I usually buy a few bunches of kale to put under the turkey on the platter to add to the presentation. I had some left over and decided to have it for dinner. I was pretty happy with it.

I sauteed some onion and a lot of garlic. Chopped the kale roughly (needed a little more chopping) and tossed it in. It's much tougher than spinach, so it doesn't wilt as quickly or as thoroughly. I added a little chicken stock to help the wilt - probably didn't need it. S&P and finished it off with a chopped tomato and some chopped parsely.

Sure, it's not much for a main course, but it was fine for me.

The only place I regularly ate kale was at Great Jones Cafe -- excellent every time.

Anybody got any good kale recipes?

Saute finely chopped kale with garlic, puree, rener double-smoked slab bacon, add pureed kale to pan, toss, cover with bread crumbs and slashes of pecorino, under salamander or broiler for a few minutes. Great with a robust fish, lamb, pork, or beef.

Chicken stock with a mire poix. Add chopped kale (spines seperated and also chopped very finely) and much roasted garlic. Simmer. Serve poured over a bed bof egg noodles with a poached egg floating in the centre. A potato tuile and some chive oil are a nice touch.

Yukon gold potatoes roasted in duck or chicken fat. Saute kale. Toss together and put in oven at 450 for a few minutes. Meanwhile briefly saute chicken livers. Serve livers atop potato and kale mixture with lime zest a bit of buerre blanc.

Etc.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Saute finely chopped kale with garlic, puree, rener double-smoked slab bacon, add pureed kale to pan, toss, cover with bread crumbs and slashes of pecorino, under salamander or broiler for a few minutes. Great with a robust fish, lamb, pork, or beef.

This sounds great, Jinmyo. Does the bacon end up in the gratin or are you just using the rendered fat for sauteeing?

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

Oh yes, the bacon stays.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

dstone--yum--i ate a lot of kale growing up--my mom cooked huge messes of kale and i used to steal bites from the kettle while it was cooking--she seasoned hers with lots of salt and pepper and veg oil. i tend to go a little lighter on the oil, EVOO only, and add sauteed onion and garlic, and some dried whole hot peppers.

the best way to eat it, for me, is with a huge hunk of hot skillet cornbread--i put the bread in a big bowl and ladle the greens on top. pot likker. mmm.

That sounds nice, stellabella.

I usually cook it stellabella's way, but instead of dried hot pepper, I sprinkle on a little cayenne powder while it's sauteeing. Buy more than you think you'll need -- it cooks down a lot, just like spinach does.

Occasionally I spread the washed and dried leaves out on a baking sheet, spray with olive oil, and bake for about ten minutes at 350-375. The leaves stay whole and get nice and crispy.

It is also great with just about any kind of sausage. Chorizo is particularly nice.

I know not everyone has a garden to grow their own Kale, but the ones that do should make sure that the first frost has reached the plant before harvesting. The freezing temps have an effect on the taste of it. If there are still greenmarkets out there that offer fresh Kale at this time, one could almost be assured "it could the cold".

Anyway, always strip leafy part from stems and: Always blanch in salted boiling water for just a few minutes before sauteeing with your favorite additions. The smokier the stuff the better the final "Stew?"

Peter

I know not everyone has a garden to grow their own Kale, but the ones that do should make sure that the first frost has reached the plant before harvesting. The freezing temps have an effect on the taste of it.

and where i live kale reseeds itself--it'll come back again and again--even a few sprigs popping up here and there make a nice compliment to other dishes.

stellabella, yes it is. With chicken stock and much garlic.

Dstone, which kind of kale was it? The curly ornamental (but still edible) stuff or something else?

I got some Russian Red Kale for T-day, and also followed Elizabeth Schneider's recommendation of cutting out the rib. I blanched it first also per her instructions, then sautéed it with olive oil, garlic, pancetta, and lemon zest. Yummmmmmmmmm. The blanching brought out the color beautifully, and tenderized the leaves so the sautée was really more just to heat it.