• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tiki mugs, bowls, decorations, and other supplies

Kent Wang

Is there a source for good tiki mugs? I know eBay has vintage ones but if I want to buy like 50 of the same ones, I don't think that'll be possible. I'm primarily interested in ceramic, not plastic.

Tiki bowls for punches would be neat too.

We can also discuss the other trappings of tiki culture in this topic. I bought some pufferfish lamps a few years ago—can't remember where now. They're pretty neat to hang around the bar.

Robert Hess linked to this site in his "Beach Bum's Own" video description - Beach Bum's Own @ Smallscreennetwork

Tiki glassware

Aswell as the following link as a comment on his "Scorpion bowl" video - Scorpion Bowl

Trader Vic barware

Hope you find what you're looking for, once I settle down somewhat, buying several sets of tiki glasses will be one of the first thing to do!

Edited by Joakim Östlund Andersson (log)

Until about a year ago there was a restaurant supply store in Boston's china town that had the whole shbang. Loads of tiki mugs and scorpion bowls. Sadly the store disappeared. I have quite a large collection of tiki mugs and bowls and such, but they have all come from flea markets and goodwill. My suggestion is to ask at a Chinese restaurant where they sell the drinks. They usually have lots of tiki stuff, and must be getting it from a supplier somewhere. Most of them are made by the same company. If you are buying on ebay.. 90% of the ones that say they are vintage are not. So do not over pay.

Hi

Companies like TikiFarm and Monktiki, while both run by friends of mine, typically sell higher-end mugs aimed at retail and collectors. Both will do custom mugs for restaurants or bars as well.

But if you want bulk mugs to use for tiki drinks in a bar or restaurant, a company called Dynasty out of New York licensed about a dozen designs from the classic-era tiki mug kings, Orchids of Hawaii. Orchids did dozens and dozens of mug designs during the heyday of tiki.

The Dynasty repros of the old Orchids designs will set you back about $2 each, wholesale. they also do the bowls, and other novelty mugs - parrots, buddhas, and the like. You can get bulk swizzles, paper parasols, etc from them too.

-James

My new book is, "Destination: Cocktails", from Santa Monica Press! http://www.destinationcocktails.com

Please see http://www.tydirium.net for information on all of my books, including "Tiki Road Trip", and "Big Stone Head", plus my global travelogues, and more!