• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How Water Soluble is Caffeine (or, do I just look gullible?)

Genkinaonna

So I was at a tea shop at the mall today and looking for a nice decaf black tea for my father, who is trying to cut down on his caffeine intake. The woman at the shop said that if I steeped the (caffeinated) tea in hot water for 30 seconds, then took it out and steeped in a different cup of hot water for the correct brewing time, the resulting cup of tea would have no caffeine, but I'm not buying it...has anyone heard this? Have I just missed out on some well-known fact by spending most of my time drinking coffee? Or was she just trying to make a sale?

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

This doesn't answer your question, but it may help your father out a bit: You could try rooibos (red bush) tea as an alternative to black tea. It does taste different, but it can be made with milk just like black tea and it looks a similar colour (though redder, as the name suggests). It's also increasingly available these days, though I am speaking only of my experience in the UK.