• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Galliano cocktails that don't suck

Yojimbo

My version of the In Spades, with 2 oz. Buffalo Trace, .75 each of Salers and Bitterman's Amer Nouvelle, and about .5 of Galliano, was a mess at first, and too bitter, but melded surprisingly well, considering it was way over the recommended ratios! I'll try it again with what KD recommended above, but I have a feeling that Aveze would offer a more diverse flavor profile than what I'm using. Still, it's an intriguing recipe, and worth playing around with, thanks!

"The thirst for water is a primitive one. Thirst for wine means culture, and thirst for a cocktail is its highest expression."

Pepe Carvalho, The Buenos Aires Quintet by Manuel Vazquez Montalban

The In Spades is a good drink, as is everything served at Pouring Ribbons. Next time you're there, try the One Flight Up, which is like an orange flower water-perfumed Pisco Sour floated on top of Campari and soda.

I'm working on a Galliano cocktail that intentionally sucks, as a tribute to what's arguably the lowpoint in recent cocktail history: the 70s.

The Yacht Rock (roughly): .5 Galliano, 1 oz coconut milk, 1 oz orange juice, drop orange flower water, 2 oz vodka. Double recipe, blend, serve in a hurricane glass with a straw, garnish with a paper umbrella (mandatory) and a garish neon-red cocktail cherry, sip on a beach in the Pacific while listening to Michael McDonald croon "What A Fool Believes."

For a burlier, less intentionally sucky cocktail, play up the Painkiller resemblance and replace the vodka with Pusser's. Only then you have to call it a "Tusk."

If only I could figure out a way to work in white wine: then I'd have a hybrid Harvey Wallbanger-Piña Colada-Wine Cooler, the trifecta of 70s cocktails.

Of course, as this thread's shown, not every use of Galliano has to be a throwback.

Edited by Rafa (log)

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

I still keep swearing that I'm going to come up with a Galliano cocktail that will sweep the nation like the Cosmopolitan did in the 1980's and become a hero to bars everywhere by getting rid of that dusty bottle that's been taking up valuable real estate on their shelf for decades.

I'm lately contemplating a savory variation of a mimosa as a brunch drink. Starting point will be carrot juice-Galliano-champagne, dialed back or not with a splash of lemon juice. It will riff from there, but I think it has potential. The carrot juice and Galliano are sweet, but the acidity of the champagne ought to counter that. Will report back when the actual variations get test driven...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I still keep swearing that I'm going to come up with a Galliano cocktail that will sweep the nation like the Cosmopolitan did in the 1980's and become a hero to bars everywhere by getting rid of that dusty bottle that's been taking up valuable real estate on their shelf for decades.

I'm lately contemplating a savory variation of a mimosa as a brunch drink. Starting point will be carrot juice-Galliano-champagne, dialed back or not with a splash of lemon juice. It will riff from there, but I think it has potential. The carrot juice and Galliano are sweet, but the acidity of the champagne ought to counter that. Will report back when the actual variations get test driven...

I have never doubted any drink that you have created. You wrote the book and I bought. But you may have to talk me into a carrot juice Galliano effort.

KD, I'm guessing 2 oz. of bourbon to .5/.75 each of the gentianes? Any more would seem pretty bitter, but perhaps that's the intended effect. I only have Salers, so I'll have to experiment . . . . Bitterman's Amer Nouvelle, perhaps?

Any suggestions as to garnish?

I'm visiting next week and will try to remember to ask. In the mean time, if I was making it, I'd try 2 oz Bourbon, .25 each of 2 Gentian liqueurs, .25 Galliano. It was served on a large rock with, I believe, a swath of citrus...orange, or maybe grapefruit.

I was off by a .25 oz of gentian...it's actually:

2 oz Old Weller Antique (107 proof)

.5 oz Salers Aperitif Gentiane

.25 oz Avèze Gentian Liqueur

.25 oz Galliano l’Autentico

Stir/Strain onto Rock/Orange Twist

Edited by KD1191 (log)

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

I still keep swearing that I'm going to come up with a Galliano cocktail that will sweep the nation...

I'm still waiting patiently for you to remember how you made that "Widow Banger". :biggrin:

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Has no one sub'd it for absinthe in a CR2 and called it a Necrophiliac?

Oh god. You should see the keyword searches that end up on photos of CR No.2 on my flickr stream already - we don't need to make this worse... :-)

Do we have a thread on weird cocktail names yet? (the Monkey Gland would fit in nicely as well)

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)