• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Galliano cocktails that don't suck

Yojimbo

I have an obscure feeling that Galliano has potential as an ingredient that hasn't been tapped yet -- but I haven't found inspiration yet, other than dumping it over ice cream. Too many recipes online take the form of liquid desserts with creme and an embarrassment of other sweet liqueurs, or have orange juice as the main mixer, which to me speaks of a lack of imagination.

Has anyone been using Galliano lately for anything other than mixing up a Harvey Wallbanger for a gold-chain-and-Hawaiian-shirt-wearing overage surfer?

Jim

"The thirst for water is a primitive one. Thirst for wine means culture, and thirst for a cocktail is its highest expression."

Pepe Carvalho, The Buenos Aires Quintet by Manuel Vazquez Montalban

Has anyone been using Galliano lately for anything other than mixing up a Harvey Wallbanger for a gold-chain-and-Hawaiian-shirt-wearing overage surfer?

So far I've been using it to keep dust from getting on the part of the shelf where it sits but I didn't buy it in the first place. It was in a little gift pack of bottles a well-meaning friend gave me when she found out I was putting together a home cocktail bar. Apparently the guy at the LCBO suggested it. I guess he wants that part of his shelf back.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

While I can't really speak for any of these drinks yet(just got a bottle of galliano dumped in my apartment a few days ago) it seems like there's a few uses besides the Wallbanger.

CocktailDB 198 drinks with Galliano

Webtender 77 drinks with galliano

Spotted a several that sounded really tasty and I'll come back here once I've found them tried and true!

A bartender at Michael Mina in San Francisco made me a really delicious drink with Makers 46, Galliano, Firelit Coffee liqueur and grapefruit bitters. I didn't get proportions, and it's not on their regular menu (at least it wasn't back in November.)

The combination of flavors didn't sound good to me when he described it, but it was in fact, quite tasty. I think he said he'd also been making it with Tequila, rather than the bourbon, but I'd asked for something brown. I've been meaning to try to recreate this, but I need to scare up some of the Firelit Coffee Liqueur!

And Katie Loeb in Philly made a very nice drink a few years ago that bore some structural similarity to a Widow's Kiss, I think she swapped Galliano for the Chartreuse, maybe? We dubbed it the Widow Banger, had a good laugh, and then she promptly forgot exactly how she made it! A shame, I'd actually order it again on purpose. Maybe not by that name...

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

That looks good. I also have a bottle that a friend gave me. Funny how so many bottles of Galliano are given away...

But I don't have any rhubarb bitters and have never tasted any. I'm thinking of subbing Bittercube's Cherry Bark bitters. Do you think that would work?

nunc est bibendum...

...We dubbed it the Widow Banger, had a good laugh, and then she promptly forgot exactly how she made it! A shame, I'd actually order it again on purpose. Maybe not by that name...

Oh man. That was so funny we couldn't stop giggling about it. :laugh: The idea was definitely the cross between the Widow's Kiss and the Harvey Wallbanger, but I don't think the Galliano was the only swap out. I'll have to look at both recipes side by side again and see if the same streak of inspiration strikes me again...But the name HAS to stay the same. That was the funniest part!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

...We dubbed it the Widow Banger, had a good laugh, and then she promptly forgot exactly how she made it! A shame, I'd actually order it again on purpose. Maybe not by that name...

Oh man. That was so funny we couldn't stop giggling about it. :laugh: The idea was definitely the cross between the Widow's Kiss and the Harvey Wallbanger, but I don't think the Galliano was the only swap out. I'll have to look at both recipes side by side again and see if the same streak of inspiration strikes me again...But the name HAS to stay the same. That was the funniest part!

The name is hilarious. I'm actually hoping you recall what you did just for that reason... well, that and the fact that it's been proclaimed a tasty drink.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

The Mulata Daisy

- The winning drink created by Ago Perrone of The Connaught from the Bacardi Legacy Competition 2008-

40ml Bacardi Superior rum

25ml creme de cacao dark

20ml lime juice

2 barspoons caster sugar

1 1/2 barspoons fennel seeds

10ml Galiano L'Autentico

Method: In a shaker muddle fennel seeds and add remaining ingredients. Shake hard with cubed or cracked ice and fine-strain into the glass.

Glass: Vintage coupe

Garnish: Chocolate powder dusted on rim

Ice: N/A

As Ago is the brand ambassador for Galliano he's come up with a number of cracking recipes, some of which were featured in an article in CLASS magazine. When I get the chance I'll try and post some up.

Evo-lution - Consultancy, Training and Events

Dr. Adam Elmegirab's Bitters - Bitters

The Jerry Thomas Project - Tipplings and musings

Katie,

That one's priceless -- hope that lightning strikes twice when you get the chance to recreate it!

I'm going to try a variation of the Last Word tonight, subbing the Galliano for the Chartreuse, but I'll have to fiddle with proportions and maybe switch to lemon juice, since the Galliano's so sweet.

"The thirst for water is a primitive one. Thirst for wine means culture, and thirst for a cocktail is its highest expression."

Katie,

That one's priceless -- hope that lightning strikes twice when you get the chance to recreate it!

I'm going to try a variation of the Last Word tonight, subbing the Galliano for the Chartreuse, but I'll have to fiddle with proportions and maybe switch to lemon juice, since the Galliano's so sweet.

I think a Galliano for Yellow Chartreuse substitution is a promising one...I'd suggest trying it with the Final Ward:

3/4 oz Rye

3/4 oz Yellow Chartreuse

3/4 oz Maraschino

3/4 oz Lemon Juice

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

OK, so the Last Word variant was not a success. I tried:

1oz. Beefeater

1oz. Maraschino

slightly less than 1 oz. Galliano

over ice and tasted to decide whether to use lemon or lime juice. Interestingly, I got an almost creamsicle-like flavor and mouthfeel, so I now understand why OJ is paired with Galliano so often. I wonder if bitter orange would've made for a better drink.

1 oz. lemon juice resulted in a drink that was just . . . . off -- the anise flavor didn't sync with the other flavors. I tried a capful of orgeat syrup to try and smooth things out, but it needed something to balance the sweetness. A couple of dashes of Angostura didn't do the trick. Not awful, just not great.

I have a feeling KD's right and rye will make a better marriage with this stuff, will try tomorrow.

"Speakeasy," the new cocktail book from Employee's Only, has an excellent cocktail that includes Galliano.

Fernando

• 1.25 oz Fernet Branca
  • 1.75 oz Cinzano Bianco vermouth
  • .75 Galliano
  • mint spring

Stir, strain and garnish with slapped mint leaf.

I'm out of bianco vermouth at the moment, so I substituted Cocchi Americano. Great drink. Has all the herbal notes of Fernet but tamed and elegant. It's like someone took a bruiser with a broken nose and dressed him up with a sharp tie and an Armani suit.

I basically bought the Galliano to make this drink, and I don't regret the purchase.

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

I created an offshoot of the "Backdraft" in order to rid myself of a bottle of Galliano that had been taking up space at my bar for many years. The problem was that the cocktail I created became very popular and thus necessitated me buying another bottle.

1 oz Grand Marnier

1 oz Drambuie

1/2 oz Galliano (topped on the others)

Serve in snifter and meant to be drunk warmed like brandy.

Some people also lit it on fire, put it out by covering the top of the glass and then inhaled the fumes (like the aforementioned Backdraft).

Edit: Clarified directions

Edited by BadRabbit (log)

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread, but it's how I found the forum when searching Google for "Galliano cocktails". Reading the ideas on here inspired me, and I've come up with one that I find quite tasty:

1 oz rye (I used Bulleit once and Sazerac once)

1 oz Lillet

1 oz Galliano

.5 oz lemon juice

2 dashes Fee bro's rhubarb bitters

Shake and strain into chilled coupe glass

Could float a star anise for garnish

I know this is an old thread, but it's how I found the forum when searching Google for "Galliano cocktails". Reading the ideas on here inspired me, and I've come up with one that I find quite tasty:

Welcome to the forum! Sounds tasty. Did you go out and buy a bottle of Galliano or were you trying to use up the one that didn't fit on the shelf? :raz:

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Welcome to the forum! Sounds tasty. Did you go out and buy a bottle of Galliano or were you trying to use up the one that didn't fit on the shelf? :raz:

Thanks for the welcome! Using up a bottle left over from a Harvey Wallbanger cake my mom made in probably 2001. Only problem is now I want to get another one.

• 8 months later...

"Speakeasy," the new cocktail book from Employee's Only, has an excellent cocktail that includes Galliano.

Fernando

• 1.25 oz Fernet Branca
  • 1.75 oz Cinzano Bianco vermouth
  • .75 Galliano
  • mint spring

Stir, strain and garnish with slapped mint leaf.

I'm out of bianco vermouth at the moment, so I substituted Cocchi Americano. Great drink. Has all the herbal notes of Fernet but tamed and elegant. It's like someone took a bruiser with a broken nose and dressed him up with a sharp tie and an Armani suit.

I basically bought the Galliano to make this drink, and I don't regret the purchase.

I bought Galliano because I finally found it in a 375 ml bottle that (a) can fit in my cabinet and (b) is only $20 and thus less likely to make me unhappy if I don't use it up for a couple of decades. Using Dolin blanc. Will report back.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Pouring Ribbons has apparently been ripping through the Galliano with their In Spades, featuring Weller 107 Bourbon, Avèze and Salers Gentiane Liqueurs, and Galliano l’Autentico.

It was described to me as 'an old fashioned' which is an interesting way to look at it. Not being one for anise or vanilla, I think I was predisposed to dislike Galliano, but this presented a nice, balanced approach. I inquired about the use of two different gentian liqueurs and was told that it was for complexity, but I imagine you could get away with just one without compromising too much. An over-proof whiskey is definitely called for, especially if you want the final product to exude old-fashioned-ness.

Edited by KD1191 (log)

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

Pouring Ribbons has apparently been ripping through the Galliano with their In Spades, featuring Weller 107 Bourbon, Avèze and Salers Gentiane Liqueurs, and Galliano l’Autentico.

It was described to me as 'an old fashioned' which is an interesting way to look at it. Not being one for anise or vanilla, I think I was predisposed to dislike Galliano, but this presented a nice, balanced approach. I inquired about the use of two different gentian liqueurs and was told that it was for complexity, but I imagine you could get away with just one without compromising too much. An over-proof whiskey is definitely called for, especially if you want the final product to exude old-fashioned-ness.

Hmm, maybe I can finally use up that bottle of Galliano I have had for more than a decade! My luck it has probably gone bad by now, if such a thing is possible.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

KD, I'm guessing 2 oz. of bourbon to .5/.75 each of the gentianes? Any more would seem pretty bitter, but perhaps that's the intended effect. I only have Salers, so I'll have to experiment . . . . Bitterman's Amer Nouvelle, perhaps?

Any suggestions as to garnish?

Edited by Yojimbo (log)

KD, I'm guessing 2 oz. of bourbon to .5/.75 each of the gentianes? Any more would seem pretty bitter, but perhaps that's the intended effect. I only have Salers, so I'll have to experiment . . . . Bitterman's Amer Nouvelle, perhaps?

Any suggestions as to garnish?

I'm visiting next week and will try to remember to ask. In the mean time, if I was making it, I'd try 2 oz Bourbon, .25 each of 2 Gentian liqueurs, .25 Galliano. It was served on a large rock with, I believe, a swath of citrus...orange, or maybe grapefruit.

DeVoto, The Hour