• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Superbowl 2011

LindaK

Tomorrow is Superbowl Sunday! Even if you don't watch the football (me), you're likely to be cooking something for hungry football fans.

I'm lucky to have a friend who hosts a great party every year, and he always provides roast pig, dumplings, and stir-fried greens for the half-time meal. I'm thinking about bringing some spiced nuts for nibbling and some cookies for dessert (along with beer) for my contribution.

What will you be cooking or eating?

The friends who are hosting the party are making slow smoked ribs and pork butt. to be eaten messily with sauce and the pork butt turned into pork nachos. I've been charged with trying to bring some "veggies" into the mix. I am thinking of making a chili and lime coleslaw.

Sigh. In some of the poorest schedule management I've ever managed, I scheduled a minor medical procedure for Monday morning. So while watching the Super Bowl, I will be drinking consomme and chicken broth. NOT a good move on my part.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

There are six of us for the superbowl... Our menu: (normally there would be more meat, or at least wings, but we have a vegetarian joining...)

Hoisin & Honey Glazed Riblets

Chips w/ Guacamole and Salsa

Hummus and Pita Chips

Pepper and Cheddar Rolls -- Check these out! I've never made them but they look SO GOOD (http://www.blogexquisit.com/2010/12/rollitos-de-pimiento-y-cheddar.html?utm_source=BP_recent)

Frozen strawberry margaritas (hey, I've got to use the 80 pounds of strawberries in my chest freezer somehow!)

Vegetarian Chili

Apple crisp

only 7 of us for the game but this is what i'm providing:

italian beef sandwiches - braised a beef roast with some red wine, garlic, bay leaf, tomatoes. will defat the sauce, thinly slice the beef then add it back in. saute some onions and cubanelle peppers. serve on some crusty rolls.

sweet and sour meatballs

chili verde - pork, tomatillos, roasted poblanos.

one couple is bringing a vegetarian lasagna, one is bringing dessert and the single guy is bringing beer.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

It will just be the two of us for the game. I'm freakin' exhausted.

I'll make some wings. I may pick up some good bratwurst to poach in beer.

That's it. If any event calls for basic, regional comfort food, it's the Superbowl. Keep it simple -- that way the cook enjoys the game, too.

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

I'm going to a friends where I think there will be 5 or 6 of us. The hosts are providing chili and nibbles and beer and that nasty "flavored malt beverage stuff aka Mike's". I'm bringing the cocoa brownies that were on the cover of the last Bon Appetit and vanilla ice cream. Brownie sundaes for dessert, baby.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Spent the day yesterday making 3 kinds of chili....a "lighter" chicken chili with no beans, a cincinnati chile, and a beef and pinto bean chili. I had made my own chili powder (AB's recipe). Today I will make some corn bread mini muffins to serve with honey butter, chicken wings to serve with a blue cheese dip and hot sauce, cut vegies for dipping into the blue cheese dip, make blender salsa to serve with chips, and assemble the assorted garnishes for the chili (sour cream, shredded cheese, chopped onions, chopped hot peppers, etc.). Someone is bringing dessert and appetizer. There is way too much chili for the 10 of us but I will freeze whatever is left over for quick dinners later.

Need to clean my kitchen in order to get started!!!!! It was late when I finished the chilis last night!

Enjoy the game and the commercials everyone!

Donna

Baby back ribs and Saratoga chips - OK they're from Montgomery Inn in Cincinnati (I cheat)

macaroni and cheese being brought by friend

Appetizers - spinach/fontina cheese bruschetta and also spinach dip from the Knorr soup package

dessert - strawberry cream cheese tart

Whenever we entertain, people always want to bring stuff. I tell them to bring wine or beer, not to bother with food. Never works. As a result, this day, especially, there is always way more food than can be consumed.

I'm going to chop a bowl of salsa and knock back a cocktail or three while I watch the game alone. I had to decline a couple of invitations to watch the game with friends and lots of good food to be able to enjoy some peace and quiet after a very busy week at work. It was a tough decision but the food didn't win this year.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I'll enjoy a quiet evening as husband goes next door to watch the game. No idea what host is doing but there is always plenty of food, including lots of dips and spreads.

I got a KA Pro for Christmas so I'm in baking mode. My contribution will be bread sticks to go with all those dips.

Just 2 of us this year but I'm cooking for the leftovers :biggrin:

Fresh salsa, Guacamole and Chips

Assort salty cracker snacks

Margaritas

For half-time, or slightly later if half-time is too early on the West Coast

Spareribs that have been rubbed with pimenton, granulated garlic, celery & kosher salts, toasted cumin & corriander, some cinnamon and brown sugar

Baked beans

Made the Ad Hoc Brownie recipe this morning. If you haven't made this recipe, these brownies are fabulous

I'm off to pour a Maggie and prep the ribs to go into the oven for the first part of their cooking process. Happy eating everyone and...Go Packers! (Actually, I wish I could be saying Go Chargers!, but once again they failed to produce this year)

I don't really follow sports, but it didn't hit me until I got home from our local Italian deli (Iavarone's for the NYC/Long Island area types) why everyone was ordering so much stuff and all the counter guys were tied up making 6-foot hero sandwiches.

Well, I cancelled my planned tests tomorrow, so I could eat today. (Not really; it was supposed to snow, and my child is due to give birth any minute, so I judged I'd best be ready to jump and run when summoned.)

So I made coconut macaroons, and amaretti, and baby new potatos topped wtih creme fraiche and caviar. It's a wonderful thing when you're watching the Super Bowl alone.

Except for the dawg, who, as it turns out, loves potatos with creme fraiche and caviar.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com