• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Offal: Sourcing, Cooking, Eating

Nick

On 16/02/2005 at 3:19 PM, Wolfert said:

I just purchased Anissa Helou's The Fifth Quarter, an offal cookbook published by

Absolute Press in Great Britain.

Amazon UK sells it.

The book has a wonderful collection of recipes, from a whole slew of food cultures, to keep you busy for many years to come.

I have just put this in my basket. Thanks for the recommendation.

Whilst I await the delivery of Offal cookbook. Whats with the soaking of chicken livers in milk. Is it absolutely necessary? 

Next Q.. What to do with an Ox Tongue. This is solely for work sandwiches and will not appear in another dish. I've only recently found a butcher that can supply them so new territory.

TIA D

27 minutes ago, Doofa said:

Whats with the soaking of chicken livers in milk. Is it absolutely necessary? 

It is said that the soaking in milk reduces the "offaly" taste. It certainly isn't necessary. I eat chicken liver regularly and never soak it.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

2 hours ago, Doofa said:

Whats with the soaking of chicken livers in milk. Is it absolutely necessary?

It's the same technique as for foie gras: soaking in milk help to get some blood and impurities out of the liver. This way the liver tastes less sharp and milder. I don't see any reason to soak chicken livers in milk, better going for the full taste.

2 hours ago, Doofa said:

Next Q.. What to do with an Ox Tongue. This is solely for work sandwiches and will not appear in another dish. I've only recently found a butcher that can supply them so new territory.

My preference goes to corned ox tongue. It's great for sandwiches, slice it very thin and add a green vegetable of your choice and some horseradish. If you have a parmigiano crust then shave the outside layer (the one with the burnt letters), roast it on an open flame until it's tender, then eat it with corned beef tongue, perfect match.

Teo

• Like 1

Teo