• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Back of the Can Cuisine

nakji

things I've enjoyed: the chocolate ice box cake from the box of chocolate wafers.

Is that the one where you take the chocolate wafers, smear each one with whip cream, stack them together on edge, coat with more whip, let sit until the the wafers are blissfully soft, and cut on the diagonal so you get zebra-stripes? A childhood favourite.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

(I have become less and less enamored of packaged foods as I get older, but I have found to my dismay that nothing else will do for that particular cheesecake

:laugh: I read this to mean that you dont like using packaged foods, but have to for this recipe. I was some impressed!

My dad's cheesecake recipe is this same one, and I agree, it has to be Philly fullfat creamcheese. I checked ingredient labels on other brands once upon a time, and there was a differene that seemed to account for the lesser result, but I dont remember what it was. Yet I can use 'light' sour cream for the topping, and its fine.

I used to have the recipe memorized, I would make it so often.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

I just made "Portuguese Chicken" last night, from a tiny recipe on the back of a glass of Coconut Flavored Curry Sauce of the Lee Kum Kee brand. Simple stir fry of cubed potato, onion, mushrooms (I subbed dried shitake for button, as I did not have those) and cut up chicken, then add the sauce and a lot of water, simmer until done and thickened. Turned out very tasty, a quite distinct and different flavor from the sauce, I'll make this again some day! Very quick and easy too, always good during the week :-)

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

things I've enjoyed: the chocolate ice box cake from the box of chocolate wafers.

Is that the one where you take the chocolate wafers, smear each one with whip cream, stack them together on edge, coat with more whip, let sit until the the wafers are blissfully soft, and cut on the diagonal so you get zebra-stripes? A childhood favourite.

Yes! I saw them on the supermarket shelf the other day and the picture of that cake is right on the front of the box now. I think that cake is what keeps them in business.

Yes! I saw them on the supermarket shelf the other day and the picture of that cake is right on the front of the box now. I think that cake is what keeps them in business.

I've never had that cake. I used to buy the package to devour them as a superior substitute to Oreo cookies. (I dislike the "cream filling".)

(I have become less and less enamored of packaged foods as I get older, but I have found to my dismay that nothing else will do for that particular cheesecake

:laugh: I read this to mean that you dont like using packaged foods, but have to for this recipe. I was some impressed!

My dad's cheesecake recipe is this same one, and I agree, it has to be Philly fullfat creamcheese. I checked ingredient labels on other brands once upon a time, and there was a differene that seemed to account for the lesser result, but I dont remember what it was. Yet I can use 'light' sour cream for the topping, and its fine.

I used to have the recipe memorized, I would make it so often.

Oh, I see! I would gladly make some cheeses (paneer, various farmer cheeses, ricotta, mozzarella) if I could get good milk for a reasonable price. As it is, milk of sufficient quality to make good cheese is too dear to do anything other than savor as is. (I'm still on the hunt for a good soft pretzel recipe. I am definitely inclined toward making my own [whatever] when it seems feasible.)

My mother once attempted to use reduced fat Philly for that cheesecake. It was a dismal, rubbery thing. I have been resentful of reduced fat products ever since, and do my best to simply curtail my intake rather than partake of gelatin and filler bulked bleah.

My mother made two things with Campbell's Tomato Soup: Swiss Steak and Meatloaf. To this day I do, too.

The Swiss Steak--or rather, its gravy--is heavenly. Using a thick cut of round steak, about 1 1/2 inches, pound the daylights out of it, season and flour and pound some more. Brown in hot oil (Mom used lard) on both sides. Top with a great quantity of chopped onion. Spread the undiluted soup over the onion. Add some water to the pan, being careful not to wash off the onion and soup, cover and place in a 325 degree oven for about two hours. Exact timing depends on meat thickness. Meat should be fork tender, and the gravy should be a rich red color, NO LONGER ORANGE. Mom and I both used iron skillets, perhaps that accounts for the change in color. Must have mashed potatoes.

I'm doing this tonight!! Will let you know the results.

Its good to have Morels

• 3 months later...

There's definitely a good chocolate cake on the back of the Hershey's cocoa can, if it's the one that calls for boiling water. It's almost as easy as a mix. I discovered it in the eighties and seldom make any other chocolate cake.

The pumpkin pie recipe from the Libby's can and the 5 Minute fudge recipe from Carnation milk are good ones. Although when they say "5 minute" they mean actual cooking time, not including the time measuring things, chopping nuts, etc.

Ive been eating ro-tel tomato and velveeta dip since I was a kid, so probably 25-30 years. Im not sure if it was even actually on the velveeta box way back then, but it is now so thats my answer :lol:

Back in the early 1980's Consumer Guide published a" Favorite Brand Name Recipe Cookbook" over 350 pages long with just recipes from the top or side panel of commercial food products. It was so popular that a year later they came out with another one titled the same with MORE in front of the name. Unfortunately many of those recipes don't work any more because the ingredients and or package size changed over the years.