• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Keeping Food Magazines

nakji

I still can't part with Gourmet - complete from 1960 to its demise, plus a few from the first year it was published. Same for Saveur for the moment & a few Cooks Illustrated, although I no longer subscribe. I keep Food & Wine for a year, then buy the bound volume of recipes. And I bought the DVD of Fine Cooking, all issues from inception through 2010. Bon Appetit I access through Epicurious, so toss the magazines after I leaf through them. Trying to save all of them is impossible, plus almost all of the recipes are available on-line.

• 4 weeks later...

I just trashed an other pile, I never go back to them, there's always something new on top of the pile. I always intend to cook at least one or two recipes, but even that usually doesn't happen. Still, I get ideas and inspiration from them and they are fun "soft" reads that I tend to go through during commercial breaks of what ever TV show I might be into, none of which require much of an attention span :cool:

Except game of thrones, but that doesn't have breaks, though sometimes I wish it did. Boy there are many characters to keep track of...

I will cancel Food & Wine when my sub is up, I just don't get much out of it. I expected higher quality articles with that title I guess.

Somebody mentioned Jamie Oliver's magazine, I actually like that as well, but find it too expensive as an import to buy regularly. There's also a fine Australian magazine, a bit oversized and wonderful photography (title escapes me right now) that I like, but it's also pretty expensive. I spend enough on British photo magazines....

I used to keep cook illustrated until I bought the year book. Eventually I realized that that makes no sense what so ever (throwing something away just to buy it again with some cardboard around it...) and I really don't care for that magazine at all anymore, the whole fake little farm town editorial alone is enough to make me run. I sold those books at the used book store.

I guess I now see magazines more as inspirational seasonal fluff, find something to do with what's currently in the market, then move on. And I personally dread the Thxgiving and Xmas issues with yet an other turkey or plate of cookies on the cover...

:raz:

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

One of my regrets: when I moved from St. Louis to Boston I decided not to haul my collection of Gourmet magazines, 1985-2000. I gave them to a neighbor, a photographer and foodie, who was thrilled to have them.

the best I have saved, are a bunch of French food mags that I was buying10 or 12 years ago, incredible stuff,,still go thru them and keep up on my French and use em for new ideas

Bud

• 2 months later...

For anyone who keeps back issues of magazines, you might be interested that we are now indexing magazines as well as cookbooks at Eat Your Books. We have indexed all of Cooks Illustrated (right back to 1992), have done the last 2 years of all the other major food mags, and will be going back further for those magazines that are most popular. Many of the magazines have links to online recipes so even if you don't own the magazine, you can add it to your Bookshelf and have access to most of the recipes. Also, we are indexing British and Australian as well as American (and will also be doing NZ's Cuisine, Snadra. Eventually you will be able to search through all of your magazines at once.

Jane Kelly

Co-founder of Eat Your Books

www.eatyourbooks.com

I keep Food Network( LOVE it) and Everyday Food( takes up little space). I keep Cook's Illustrated until the end of the year when the hardcover book comes out. I then sell the full year of Cooks on ebay. I just sold the set for 10.00. I wait until I get a 2 for 1 offer of the book( for instance, I just got an offer for 2010 with a free 2009). I already own 2009, so I'll sell that on ebay too. I also have a HUGE backstash of Chocolatier. I'm waiting right before the holidays to get rid of those on ebay. Before I moved back to Cali, I sold all my Saveur on ebay. I got 30 bucks for a few years worth. I've kept cuisine at home and Food and Drink( from the LCBO in Ontario). Before you toss your old magazines, check ebay. You'd be surprised.

yesterday , I was digging around in the basement and found 2 big cases of Gourmet, Probably back to the early 60's,

Gonna wander thru some of them soon, and see what I can find...,and thanks for the site with all the mags listed on it

Bud,,

qrn: I started collecting Gourmet in the 70's. They hung around forever and when we moved into our house, my husband strongly suggested that it was time to go through them, clip what I wanted and discard the rest. Unfortunately, I also tossed out the edition that had a really great recipe for lamb chops. :sad: :sad: They were marinated in mint and some other stuff prior to cooking. It is not on the Epicurious, Gourmet or Bon Appetit sites. So, when going through these old Gourmets, if you come across such a recipe, I'd really like to hear about it. :smile: This would likely have been in the late '70s or early 80s. Probably the 70s.

qrn: I started collecting Gourmet in the 70's. They hung around forever and when we moved into our house, my husband strongly suggested that it was time to go through them, clip what I wanted and discard the rest. Unfortunately, I also tossed out the edition that had a really great recipe for lamb chops. :sad: :sad: They were marinated in mint and some other stuff prior to cooking. It is not on the Epicurious, Gourmet or Bon Appetit sites. So, when going through these old Gourmets, if you come across such a recipe, I'd really like to hear about it. :smile: This would likely have been in the late '70s or early 80s. Probably the 70s.

I will keep that in mind when I start looking thru them..(huge job, so no promises, but will keep it in mind...

Bud