• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help! My toffee separated!

zoe b

Can I save it? It's the simple almond crunch-- 1 cup butter, 1 cup sugar, 3 tbls water. Top with melted chocolate, sprinkle with nuts. I didn't even bother to hunt for the candy thermometer as i've made this so often I can time it by appearance. What hubris!

I was rolling along with it when the phone rang--I took it off the burner to answer--when i put it back on it separated--tried whisking it, no good.

If I reheat at very low temp--water bath even--will it emulse (?) Or can I add something like saving mayo?

As a friend of mine said to me "Welcome to toffee Hell":-) You made your mistake when you removed it from the heat. Toffee is very sensitive to heat changes. If you haven't put the chocolate on it yet, just put it back in the pot and add about 1/2 cup water and recook. It will turn out fine, just maybe a tiny bit chewy because of the added sugar inversion. Let us know how it worked.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

Yep, it worked exactly as you said, Ruth.

Came back nicely--but now is slightly softer & chewy--more caramel-like--still delicious.

I will try again with the toffee tomorrow--it's for my Mom--can't ship the caramel toffee, so we will just have to eat it ourselves--not really a hardship!

Thank you for helping me to rescue it--I HATE wasting ingredients--the sugar I could have stood, but a half pound of butter would have made me very sad.

• 2 weeks later...