• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Black & Yellow Food Ideas?

dhardy123

I am going to a Steelers Superbowl party next weekend and would like to bring a couple of black & yellow dishes. I am looking for some appetizer/finger food ideas. I think the hard part is figuring out the "black" food, as there are alot of things "yellow".

Any suggestions?

Edited by dhardy123 (log)

How conservative will the crowd be? Yesterday, I saw some absolutely beautiful black sesame paste in a Thai/chinese shop. You could do something like this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/madbaker/538289584/ Perhaps making the macaron portion yellow, and just the filling black sesame.

Also, is the average Canadian feeling about liquorice (yes, the black stuff, liquorice is a flavour, not a consistency/texture! :wink: ) like that in the US? Because it could give you some great options (e.g. small yellow vehicles with liquorice wheels).

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Baked Beans New England Style.. made from yellow eye beans.. a bit far fetched but the use of drk molasses gets you close.

This is a recipe from Rancho Gordo " Heirloom Beans " book. I know Steve posts here.

let me know if I can help.

Its good to have Morels

Great, now I've got that Wiz Khalifa song stuck in my head! (black & yellow, I mean)

How about devilled eggs sprinkled w/black sesame seeds? Easy & good. Bake some chocolate cookies (use the extra-dark dutched cocoa powder like this for nearly black cookies) and make a yellow-tinted frosting or buttercream. Black bean dip w/yellow cheese scattered on top. Or how about the black tortilla chips (like these from Plocky's) with a bright-yellow cheese dip?

Is it too early to find the Springtime Oreos (w/yellow filling)?

Maybe a Black Rice Salad or Mango & Coconut Black Rice dessert?

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

Black (wild) rice and corn salad

Black pasta (colored with squid ink, some stores carry that) and yellow cheese sauce (mac and cheese if you will)

Black lentils and curried (or just with tumeric oil) chicken strips (or fried chicken fingers things, not quite yellow but pretty close)

Yellow cheese with black pepper/black salt sprinkled on top

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

. . . .

I still need a few savoury ideas, mostly finger food types.

Black rice crackers and Yukon Gold crisps? I'm assuming you mean snack ideas, since other posters have listed some good, savoury 'real food' options... a plate with yellow bell-pepper slices and oil-cured black olives could be nice too.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

black bean dip and yellow corn chips

golden bell pepper crudite with black bean hummus dip made with black sesame paste, or black olive tapenade

golden bell peppers cut into canape shapes, or rounds of small yellow squash, topped with black bean hummus/ black olive tapenade

yellow cherry tomatoes sliced in half and hallowed out and filled with a black rice/black lentil salad

black bell pepper crudite with yellow tomato and banana pepper salsa

Dessert:

mini fruit tarts garnished with black grapes, blackberries, yellow kiwi, bananas, santa claus melon, golden raspberries, pineapple, etc.

banana flavored panna cotta topped with blackberries or black grapes

+1 for the deviled eggs; you cold garnish with black olives. Curried chicken wings with black garlic? Check out the Halloween party recipes online, since the black is a traditional holiday color and orange could become gold with a little food color. Golden color cheddar cheese cubes, again with black olives... HTH!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I know its another dessert but poppyseed walnut strudel just came to mind. Black sesame or Poppyseed rolls or biscuits.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

Spicy baked plantain chips with refried black beans and yellow cheddar.

Tostadas with black beans and cheddar in alternating stripes.

Have you looked at the Halloween snack recipes.

There are lots of black and orange things, not too difficult to change the orange to yellow.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Japanese nori is (almost) black. More like a dark green-black. In the dimly lit sushi bar where I go, the nori always looks very black. So put a plate of nori-wrapped appetizers away from any bright light. Saffron rice wrapped in nori cylinders?

Deviled Eggs with black caviar or black pepper.

Stuffed yellow cherry tomatoes or stuffed mini yellow peppers with black beans, cheese, etc.

Stuffed potato skins with sour cream, melted yellow cheddar and sliced black olives.

Nachos with yellow tortilla chips, black beans, cheddar, etc.

Yellow popcorn with melted cheddar and black pepper.

Mini yellow cupcakes with dark chocolate frosting (black or Dutched cocoa or bittersweet chocolate with espresso added).

Mini cheesecakes with dark chocolate glaze.

Edited by merstar (log)
There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

Do a Japonica rice pilaf with yellow bell pepper! Boil the pepper in water for about 3 minutes, then shock it in cold water to bring out the colour. Then just do a simple julienne and stir it into the rice with maybe some onion, garlic, and some herbs. Could be really nice. (try it first as I just made this up, and it may need a whole lot of tweaking!) The nice thing about this rice, is that its very glutinous, and as such loves being ring molded or shaped for plating! On white plates, it would really make an impact!

Alex

Edited by Alex Parker (log)

Many of the coffee/spice rub look black to me... so that might be an option. Also it occurred to me, you might incorporate a Pittsburgh-style Steak aka Black & Blue.