• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Non-stick Spray

Fat Guy

What are your opinions on nonstick spray?

I have a few observations:

First, the oil in those cans tends to be kind of crummy.

Second, if you're spraying a pan, it seems that just putting in a little oil and spreading it with a paper towel works as well as spraying.

Third, those Misto things don't work very well, or at least not for very long.

Fourth, the high-temperature sprays are really hard to clean off your pans after cooking.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Secret to making those misto things work like a charm: mix your oil in a 50-50 ratio with either vodka or everclear when loading. The can will spray as if it had propellant, and you don't ever taste the booze.

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

Secret to making those misto things work like a charm: mix your oil in a 50-50 ratio with either vodka or everclear when loading. The can will spray as if it had propellant, and you don't ever taste the booze.

Nancy - do you put any lecithin in there or just the booze?

Nothing but booze. And it works!

I'll be giving that a try - and it should lengthen the shelf life of the oil in there too!

I'll be trying it too as I prefer to know that it's just oil and booze and not a lot of stuff I don't want sprayed on my food!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

What are your opinions on nonstick spray?

I have a few observations:

First, the oil in those cans tends to be kind of crummy.

Second, if you're spraying a pan, it seems that just putting in a little oil and spreading it with a paper towel works as well as spraying.

Third, those Misto things don't work very well, or at least not for very long.

Fourth, the high-temperature sprays are really hard to clean off your pans after cooking.

First point - agree for the mega brands. Trader Joe's extra virgin olive oil spray is not nearly as noxious nor sticky.

Second point - probably, but sometimes, like when I'm doing frozen French fries or tots, I want to spray some oil over the top of something to help with browning.

Third point - couldn't agree more. I've sent 2 of those pieces of junk to recycling Heaven. Won't be trying again. I've got better things to throw money away on.

Fourth point - See First Point....TJ's stuff doesn't seem to polymerize as much as the mega brands. Probably because it's better oil. The mega brands are also a bear to get off of anything that gets hit with the overspray, even if it doesn't get heated. I've patched out on a kitchen floor that had Pam residue on it....

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

If you're making wedges or oven fries, spray olive oil gives a more even coating and thus a crisper result. Possibly the one redeeming feature of such products.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Fifth... your kitchen bench, walls and floor can quickly adopt an oily sheen if you're not careful about how accurately you point the can.

The convenience is rarely worth the mess.

Fifth... your kitchen bench, walls and floor can quickly adopt an oily sheen if you're not careful about how accurately you point the can.

The convenience is rarely worth the mess.

Here's a trick I learned somewhere. If you have a dishwasher hold the pan you want to spray over the open dishwasher - confines the spray and then will clean up easily next time you run the washer.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Have returned two misters because I couldn't get them to work, including a fairly expensive one. Now I'll buy one again and try it with the vodka trick. So ingenious!!!

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

You just have to clean the Mistos every so often, (empty them out , and fill with real hot water and dw soap and spray till empty , refill with plain water and rinse/spray and refill..(mine is at least 5/6 years old and works well..(not my idea, called em and bitched, and thats what they said to do....it worked..

Have returned two misters because I couldn't get them to work, including a fairly expensive one. Now I'll buy one again and try it with the vodka trick. So ingenious!!!

The trick is to use the highest proof neutral alcohol you can get - Everclear is best, followed by over-proof vodka, followed by regular vodka.

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

I've used them ever since I read Peter Reinhart, in The Bread Baker's Apprentice, recommend them very highly for bread baking - for misting the dough as it ferments, though he adds:

If you do not have spray oil, lightly brush on liquid oil with either a paper towel or a pastry brush.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

The trick is to use the highest proof neutral alcohol you can get - Everclear is best, followed by over-proof vodka, followed by regular vodka.

We can't buy Everclear in Ontario and most of the border states do not sell it either.

Nor can we buy regular vodka in Ontario. All our vodka is triple distilled and the cheapest vodka you can buy is about $50.00 before taxes which are 13%. So that's that.

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I use a small plastic spray bottle (similar to the ones you use to mist plants with). Pop it in the dishwasher after use. I get them at home depot and they're a lot cheaper than those misto things.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I buy the commercial stuff at Smart & Final. Bak-Klene or Vegelene.

I spray over the dishwasher too or if the dishwasher is running I go outside the kitchen door. The deck is redwood that just absorbs anything that hits it.

I can't stand the "flavored" sprays after getting one can in which the stuff was horribly rancid.

I took it back to the store because the sell-by date was more than a year in the future and the grocery manager smelled it and nearly gagged.

I accompanied him to the aisle, he tried another can, same thing so he had all of that brand pulled from the shelves. I got a cash refund. I have avoided most of the consumer products since then, at least the store brand.

I don't have any problem with my two olive oil sprayers. One is a Prepara and the other is a Norpro. I have a Misto someone gave me a couple of years ago but have never needed to use it.

I do empty and clean the sprayers fairly often - I don't leave the oil in them for more than a few days, perhaps a week. I use hot water with Dawn detergent to clean them and follow with several rinses with hot water.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

We can't buy Everclear in Ontario and most of the border states do not sell it either.

Nor can we buy regular vodka in Ontario. All our vodka is triple distilled and the cheapest vodka you can buy is about $50.00 before taxes which are 13%. So that's that.

Clear Spring 190 proof 1.5 litres - $20. Any duty free coming across from NY state into Ontario.

Thanks Kerry,

Strange that it's illegal in the state of NY, and yet is sold at the duty free. We'll pick some up in May I guess. :smile:

Yeah - they can sell stuff at the duty free that they can't sell in the state. You'll end up paying duty on it if you've only gone across for the day.

Emptied and cleaned a dog med sprayer of all things...skin irritation...and put in olive oil and vodka. Works perfectly. Brilliant. Problem solved.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I use it exclusively for baking bread. Now the idea of getting a regular spray bottle and filling it up is a great one! I need to try that!

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child