• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

milos epicerie fine now open

dave mc

i am a new user and happy to be here,i drove by the milos store and went in today,very cool place they are off to a good start ,they have a mindblowing preserve sectiion,quince and walnuts,eggs and lovage.perfect rolled white anchovies,whole quince in sweet brine,wild olives,the take out food section is pretty cool as well ,but lacks a little finish,small problems they will iron out in a few days no doubt ,i was happy to see costas spiliadis behind the counter serving customers,hes a legend in my book,there was also ,different amazing sea salt available loose,crazy feta of course,caviar room in the former bank safe...(the store is in an old bank building),different sweets ive never heard of,and of course the fish,it was opening day after alllso when i got there all there was left were beautiful specimens of glowing fresh wild tasmanian salmon(60 bucks a kilo)ouch.....ive always loved milos for product specific high quality product cookin,ive only mentioned a fraction of what was offered there today,hats off to costas for another montreal foodie hang out........i think its 1555 parc ....i hope its not brutally expensive,i love to pay money for quality,but ive been clobbered a couple of times by milos here and in manhattan.........ciao

Again Welcome Dave! :smile:

I was at the opening last night and tasted some brilliant things: olives, little preserved onions, stuffed grape leaves, marinated yogurt cheese balls, the salt, marinated seared hallumi, sweets and this incredible oilive oil called Agrilia from the island of Andiparos. Costas was in great form. His intention with this new enterprise is for people to see Greek products as something beyond the old rusted tin of olives. This store is Greek Chic. You should see his collection of amber worry beads.

Tonight I bought my whole dinner from Le Petit Milos: this terrific stuffed chicken, white beans with dill, more stuffed grape leaves, feta/phyllo rolls and more. It was quite cheap, the chicken was $21, and the final bill was $55 for dinner for four. There's talk he'll open a couple more of these places in Montreal and maybe one in New York. There are also some wild tisanes available; I'm sipping some of their eucalyptus tea right now. I'm going back tomorrow to buy some honey. Great, great place (btw, address is 5551 Park Ave. corner St-Viateur).

:smile:

OK, I ate that, but I didn't know what it was. It was good, not too smoky and just a bit fishy and it just melts in your mouth like fudge. Very different. I almost ate it with the wax. Whoa. Nice young staff there as well, with Costas' son working with them. Very cool. :cool:

Lesley, the opening of Le Petit Milos was actually on Wednesday? It must of been only for the press. Earlier this week, I was told it was opening Thursday(Dec 5). I've been eying its eventual opening for the last two months.

--------------------

Steve

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

After receiving a last-minute request to supply the first course for a dinner I was invited to last night, I thought about Le Petit Milos. Checking their website (which irritatingly expands your browser window to near full-screen), I was pleased to see they were open till 7 on Sundays. So, before heading downtown, I schlepped over to the corner of Park and St-Viateur only to find the windows covered, the entry unshoveled and the door bearing a sign saying the store was temporarily closed until April. Peeking in through the grimy door with daylight waning, all I could see were completely empty shelves and refrigerator cases and piles of debris on the floor. Anyone know what's up? How long have they been closed? Are they really going to open again? And why the fark don't they put a note on their website? At least I was able to score the ingredients for a decent dandelion salad topped with smoked fish (excellent arctic char in oil) at Marché Latina down the street. But geesh!