• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Unexpected Food & Drink Descriptors

I went to a scotch tasting last night. During the presentation, the speaker referred to flavor components in one bottling as "notes of baby-sick."

:huh:

I was taken aback, but the others -- veterans of many tastings in the local malt society, unlike me -- seemed to take it in stride.

Any other terms you've heard used to describe food or drink that threw you for a loop?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Doesn't bother me, but I know a lot of the uninitiated are horrified by the use of the words "horse blanket" to describe the nose of a beer (usually something that has Brettanomyces present).

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

Yes, the barnyard is a frequent source of terms to describe funkier beers. I've thrown horse blanket, horse stall, and perhaps even manure around.

Funny you mention "baby-sick" because just last night I was trying to describe the taste of something (an Alvbro chicken-shaped lollipop, if you must know) and the first thing to mind was actually vomit...as terrible as that sounds, I didn't necessarily mean it in an entirely bad way. Not too be too graphic, but it had a strange acidity, something I could only describe as stomach-acid like.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

Wine is full of those... leather, graphite, barnyard, and the aforementioned cat pee.

In my entire adult life, during which I have consumed several thousand bottles of wine, I can only think of one that was truly undrinkable. It was a Sauvignon Blanc that tasted exactly like a litterbox smells. I am very wary of Sauvignon Blancs now, and steer far clear of any that have "cat pee" in the tasting notes.

"There is nothing like a good tomato sandwich now and then."

-Harriet M. Welsch

Speaking of feet, a local reviewer from a small neighborhood paper recently used a truly weird image to describe a portion size:

"The foie gras ($15) was as small as half a premature baby’s foot."

Phyllis Stein-Novak in The South Philly review>>

I'm still scratching my head about how she came up with that unit of measure, and why she felt obliged to use it in a food review...

Edited by philadining (log)

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com