• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Online Nutrition calculator

thecuriousone

Hello all-

Is anyone aware of an online nutrition calculator that home cooks can use? I would like to enter all of my ingredients and get the nutrition information for the dish I am cooking.

More importantly, I would like to be able to play with the amounts of ingredients in order to serve a healthier dish. For example, cutting the butter in 1/2 for sauteing onions may make a minimal change in taste, but a substantial change in calories. It could mean the difference between someone being able to have a serving of something they really miss or not.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I've used Recipematic before and it's great because you can cut & paste an entire recipe instead of painstakingly typing in each ingredient. It's not perfect - I've had to adjust certain ingredients at times - but it's tons better than almost anything else I've found.

Unfortunately it appears to be broken right now. Hopefully it's only temporary.

I used to have a link to another website that did something similar, but I can't find it at the moment.

Sparkpeople.com has a recipe protram that breaks down all of the nutrients in just the way you want. I find it a little cumbersome to add ingredients, because the database is comprised of things other users have entered, and often doesn't have what I want, but if you have the patience, it's a useful tool.