• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Most Prized Kitchen Possession

weinoo

A week or so ago, I started a topic about the dumbest item in your kitchen.

Switching gears, let's hear all about your most prized kitchen item, be it a simple knife or a grand stove, something new or something old, something bought or something received. Inquiring minds want to know.

I'm still deciding what mine is :rolleyes: .

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

My Kitchenaid stand mixer, with my Henkel's 6 inch Santoku as a close second. And then my food processor, since it saves me lots of time shredding, making biscuits and pie dough, etc...

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

I have two items that stand out for me. The first is this hand cranked Berkel meat slicer that I bought and restored a few years back.

meat slicer.jpg

I'm not sure exactly when it was made, but the last date listed on it is 1916. It was found in the attic of an old country club along the shores of lake Minnetonka

IMG_0582.JPG

Here is some (slightly over dried) coppa that I made and sliced recently using the Berkel.

The other item is the 9-1/2" Yoshikane gyuto that I got about a year and a half ago.

IMG_0586.JPG

It's a fantastic blade from a simply utilitarian perspective but I also love the hammered pattern.

I have two items that stand out for me. The first is this hand cranked Berkel meat slicer that I bought and restored a few years back.

Okay. Well, that's just not fair :angry: .

Tasty Travails - My Blog

we have 15 or so knives on the rack, the 9" Messermeister chefs, is good for its intended uses,

But the 7"offset ,serrated blade, Forschner, gets used more than anything else by far...Great knife...

Bud

Oh, geeeze! You would have to ask this question and I don't know how I can decide. It it like trying to decide which child one likes best.

I'll have to spend some time thinking about it.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Most useful thing in the kitchen: Sabatier **** Elephant 8" carbon steel chef's knife

Most prized more for personal than practical reasons: It's a tossup between my grandmother's Griswold #9 cast iron skillet and my father's Henckels 8" chef's knife

Most extravagant recent acquisition: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II. The pump cracked on our 11-year-old Briel Estoril entry-level espresso machine, and instead of going through a long period of upgrading by steps, I decided to get what I really wanted, which was a first-rate machine with separate boilers and a hot water tap for tea. Next step will be upgrading the grinder from our KitchenAid A-9 to something like a Mazzer Mini.

No question. My Elmira Sweetheart wood cookstove. It stands in place of my previous cookstove - an ancient Findlay Oval - which I had to remove when the insurance inspector came to call. I was bereft until we found this one - which could be installed legally. The Oval has a new home in a neighbour's garage where he tells me he uses it to heat the space and made Thanksgiving dinner on it, so it's all good.

My Sous Vide Supreme. It's as convenient as a crockpot but makes absolutely perfect protiens everytime. No gory gray crockpot meat.

There's a ham in mine now. If I cook it for a day in the SVS at 150F, then 185F the connective tissue dissolves and the ham has the texture of pulled pork. Then I grill it just a bit with a sugary rub to develop a slight crust. Absolutely beautiful for a sandwich. Seriously perfect. I love that thing.

A big old Vulcan range. A black behemoth. It was in the place when we bought it. I love it. My kids love it. It has become a comfort appliance.

Ummm, yeah.

Oh, geeeze! You would have to ask this question and I don't know how I can decide. It it like trying to decide which child one likes best.

I'll have to spend some time thinking about it.

Ahhhh. A tough philosophical question for you andiesenji for sure.

No question. My Elmira Sweetheart wood cookstove. It stands in place of my previous cookstove - an ancient Findlay Oval - which I had to remove when the insurance inspector came to call. I was bereft until we found this one - which could be installed legally. The Oval has a new home in a neighbour's garage where he tells me he uses it to heat the space and made Thanksgiving dinner on it, so it's all good.

One word...wow!

My Sous Vide Supreme.

And something new into your life.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My Sabatier carbon steel thin slicer, bought on my first trip to Paris in 1973, for which there is really no substitute. My giant Detecto "store" scale. Two amazingly sharp handmade wrought iron choppers (the large one cuts a pizza like nobody's business). My collection of rolling pins of all sizes and types, each suited to a different purpose. A number of little hand vintage tools, from a flat coiled whisk that does yeoman's work to a French beaner. Scale, knife, choppers shown. And of course, I can't live without my Cuisinart food processors and Kitchen Aid. And I really like my Demeyre chef's pan...

Scale and knife.JPG

Small chopper.JPG

chopping blade.JPG

My mama's wooden spoons. She used to spank me with those things, and then go back to cooking. I'd have food-colored splats on my rear end.

I wish I had the old ones from mom and grandma! Today I think that my seasoned ones are the only irreplaceable items in the kitchen. I keep a savory and a sweet one at all times (poor dears that have me freak on them if they try to mix the uses :))

Nolnacs, yours is a terrific restoration. It might have been made at Berkel's LaPorte, IN factory. The nickname for the local high school teams to this day is 'The Slicers'.

"A cloud o' dust! Could be most anything. Even a whirling dervish.

That, gentlemen, is the whirlingest dervish of them all." - The Professionals by Richard Brooks

In fact, it was made in LaPorte, which is spelled LA PORTE and LA-PORTE on the slicer. I wonder when they started getting rid of the space.

According to the Berkel website, in 1915 they moved from Chicago to LaPorte and changed the name of the company from the U.S. Slicing Machine Company to Berkel (after W.A. Van Berkel, the Dutch inventor of the mechanism that they had licensed). However, my machine says both LaPorte and U.S. Slicing Machine Company.... which is a bit strange.

Slicer.jpg

Had to think about this but the hands-down winner(s)-- my two Eurodib induction hobs. They have revolutionized my cooking which you can understand if you know that I previously cooked on a cheap electric coil range. Right up there with the hobs would be my Thermomix - I can have a decent bread on the table within 3 hours. Close behind would be (oh my lord) my magic bullet!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I just realized what my greatest item is....it's a coffee doser. It measures the exact amount into my coffee maker each and every time. There is no mess, no fuss, and I literally can't make coffee without it. Sometimes I even have panic attacks wondering what I will do if it up and breaks since I bought it in Southern Italy!!!!! heehee

Edit: typos, as always.

Edited by ambra (log)

I'm going with my copper pot set. 13 pieces from Ruffoni in Italy which I bought secondhand and unused. In fact, those pots are how I found eGullet 6 years ago. They are as functional as they are beautiful.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack