• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recipes: Lost & Found

RDW

Baked Pineapple and Cheddar Cheese casserole. An absolute MUST to go with a ham, of a pork roast. I LUV pineapple! :wub:

Here's one I've been making for some 40 years. Got it out of a military officer's wives cookbook. It's been a family favorite for all these decades. Can't remember a family get-together that somebody doesn't bring it.

As you say, it's perfect to go with ham, or roast pork, or fried chicken, or barbecue, or ribs, or whatever. Easy to make, and the children love it.

Hot Pineapple and Cheese Salad

1 large can pineapple chunks (not drained)

1 C all-purpose flour

1 C sugar

1 lb good-quality Cheddar cheese, grated or shredded.

Combine the dry ingredients, stirring until well blended. Add the pineapple and cheese and mix until combined. Pour into a greased casserole dish. Bake at 300 for 30 minutes, or at 350 for 20 minutes, until hot and bubbly. Serve while still hot.

ETA: If you google 'hot pineapple salad,' you'll find quite a few recipes, with varying measurements and ingredients. Many add Ritz Crackers.

If this simple one of ours doesn't work for you, you should be able to find another one that is just perfect. The key seems to be to google 'hot salad' rather than 'casserole,' if that's what you've tried.

AHA! Thanks, Jaymes; I never thought of that approach!

Darienne, it's pineapple in juice, and I'd be inclined to cut back on the amount of sugar, but that's just me...

(ETA juice)

Edited by judiu (log)

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I just did a Google search and found the booklet I remember.

Here

Wow, expensive for such a little booklet.

Thanks Andie- that is not the booklet and the only thing she put canned mandarins in was ambrosia and poppy seeds were in baked goods. The booklets we had were a rough beige paper, rectangular, and the long side ran left to right. They were very cheaply done so may have been assembled by the local people they hired in L.A. I can not remember what suburb they took the classes in.

I just did a Google search and found the booklet I remember.

Here

Wow, expensive for such a little booklet.

Thanks Andie- that is not the booklet and the only thing she put canned mandarins in was ambrosia and poppy seeds were in baked goods. The booklets we had were a rough beige paper, rectangular, and the long side ran left to right. They were very cheaply done so may have been assembled by the local people they hired in L.A. I can not remember what suburb they took the classes in.

You are totally correct, I was just reminded that it was in the mid '60s that I took the class as we did the kitchen remodel in '67.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Baked Pineapple and Cheddar Cheese casserole. An absolute MUST to go with a ham, of a pork roast. I LUV pineapple! :wub:

Here's one I've been making for some 40 years. Got it out of a military officer's wives cookbook. It's been a family favorite for all these decades. Can't remember a family get-together that somebody doesn't bring it.

As you say, it's perfect to go with ham, or roast pork, or fried chicken, or barbecue, or ribs, or whatever. Easy to make, and the children love it.

1 C all-purpose flour

1 C sugar

Combine the dry ingredients, stirring until well blended. Add the pineapple and cheese and mix until combined. Pour into a greased casserole dish. Bake at 300 for 30 minutes, or at 350 for 20 minutes, until hot and bubbly. Serve while still hot.

ETA: If you google 'hot pineapple salad,' you'll find quite a few recipes, with varying measurements and ingredients. Many add Ritz Crackers.

If this simple one of ours doesn't work for you, you should be able to find another one that is just perfect. The key seems to be to google 'hot salad' rather than 'casserole,' if that's what you've tried.

Darienne, it's pineapple in juice, and I'd be inclined to cut back on the amount of sugar, but that's just me...

(ETA juice)

Well, seems to me thinking back that when we first started making this, canned pineapple only came packed in heavy syrup, and I did, indeed cut back on the sugar. But I often like things less sweet than others (I never buy those cookies in the mall for that reason - too sweet for me), so some family members make it sweeter than others.

Pineapple packed in its own juice isn't as sweet as that packed in heavy syrup, though.

May not be the most helpful advice, but let's face it, this is so easy, I'd suggest you just try it a time or two and come up with a sweetness level that pleases your family.

Also, some folks drain the pineapple, which makes it less soupy. And you can squeeze in a bit of lemon juice if you'd like. Or top with maraschino cherries, or whatever. Sometimes I make it by laying whole pineapple slices in a shallow baking dish or glass pie pan, combining the flour, sugar and cheese, and sprinkling it over. It's really versatile and easy to adapt to your personal preferences and needs.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Hi Jaymes,

Went back and looked at all the similar recipes online. Can't believe I've never even heard of such a dish. I see it is made a dozen different ways with pineapple in syrup and in juice.

I think I'll hold on the maraschino cherries tho...hate them.

Thanks.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Hi Jaymes,

Went back and looked at all the similar recipes online. Can't believe I've never even heard of such a dish. I see it is made a dozen different ways with pineapple in syrup and in juice.

I think I'll hold on the maraschino cherries tho...hate them.

Thanks.

It's pretty tasty. Hope you try it, and like it. As I said, it's easy to adapt to your personal preferences and style.

Oh, and one more thing...

This is a great dish to take to a potluck. It goes with practically everything, you can sling it together in about five minutes, many folks have never heard of it, and it's always a big hit.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I just got a call from an old family friend who used to take cooking classes with my mom. I called her a few days ago about tracking down my old Karmann Ghia and mentioned the spinach salad recipe I was looking for. She found the SCE booklet! Salad base is a large bunch of spinach sprinkled with garlic salt, 3 quartered tomatoes, some sliced onion and 2 tablespoons of dry cottage cheese. The dressing is called "Quick & Easy French" and is a cup of oil, 1/3 cup vinegar, t salt, 1/4 t pepper, 1 t dry mustard, 1/4 t paprika, 1 clove garlic and 1 T sugar whizzed in the blender. I am sure mom added crumbled bacon to the finished salad. I plan to give it a go this week.

1 C all-purpose flour

1 C sugar

(ETA juice)

Well, seems to me thinking back that when we first started making this, canned pineapple only came packed in heavy syrup, and I did, indeed cut back on the sugar. But I often like things less sweet than others (I never buy those cookies in the mall for that reason - too sweet for me), so some family members make it sweeter than others.

Pineapple packed in its own juice isn't as sweet as that packed in heavy syrup, though.

May not be the most helpful advice, but let's face it, this is so easy, I'd suggest you just try it a time or two and come up with a sweetness level that pleases your family.

Also, some folks drain the pineapple, which makes it less soupy. And you can squeeze in a bit of lemon juice if you'd like. Or top with maraschino cherries, or whatever. Sometimes I make it by laying whole pineapple slices in a shallow baking dish or glass pie pan, combining the flour, sugar and cheese, and sprinkling it over. It's really versatile and easy to adapt to your personal preferences and needs.

I too have never heard of this and must try. Ever make it with fresh pineapple?

1 C all-purpose flour

1 C sugar

I too have never heard of this and must try. Ever make it with fresh pineapple?

No. But I must say, I've thought about it from time to time. You might have to add a little extra canned or frozen pineapple juice to get the right consistency. Maybe bake it a little longer...

Don't know.

If you decide to do that, let us know.

Looking for a recipe for my mom: as we have readjusted the kitchen from my Dad's custody for 20 years, back to hers, she is now cooking again, and looking here and there for some of those favorite recipes. Today's request is for a recipe from a lost Bisquick recipe pamphlet, which vintage circa 1960-1970, perhaps 20-30 pages--not a large hardback book--with a lot of yellow and red on the cover, for Peach Crisp.

I've been browsing on Ebay and not finding anything that sounds quite right, although I really need her to be looking over my shoulder instead of on the phone, so she can try to recognize the cover....or better yet, a gulleteer can come through, so we can just get the recipe we need--the only one she made from that booklet.

I want the recipe too because I tried off & on for a few years to recreate that particular texture of topping--a little bit biscuity/cakey but not too sweet or too fluffy, but couldn't do it. With the original in hand, I'd like to try again.

Help?!

There is a message board on the Betty Crocker site; perhaps someone there can help you. There are also MANY 'crisp' recipes.

Very helpful, thanks!

Looks like 1 cup bisquick to 1/4 to 1/3 cup of milk and a bit of butter for the 8x8 pan is going to be the starting point.

Phaedrus is a fun site; unfortunately they haven't found two of my MIAs: Parmesan-Shredded Wheat Bread (a yeast bread recipe from when Nabisco owned the cereal brand) and 'popsicles' made of crushed fresh strawberries, lime juice, and cream of coconut (actually just need proportions here).

Looking for a recipe for my mom: as we have readjusted the kitchen from my Dad's custody for 20 years, back to hers, she is now cooking again, and looking here and there for some of those favorite recipes. Today's request is for a recipe from a lost Bisquick recipe pamphlet, which vintage circa 1960-1970, perhaps 20-30 pages--not a large hardback book--with a lot of yellow and red on the cover, for Peach Crisp.

I've been browsing on Ebay and not finding anything that sounds quite right, although I really need her to be looking over my shoulder instead of on the phone, so she can try to recognize the cover....or better yet, a gulleteer can come through, so we can just get the recipe we need--the only one she made from that booklet.

I want the recipe too because I tried off & on for a few years to recreate that particular texture of topping--a little bit biscuity/cakey but not too sweet or too fluffy, but couldn't do it. With the original in hand, I'd like to try again.

Help?!

This is the first Bisquick Cookbook published in 1964, 112 pages. It came in both a soft back spiral bound and a hardback spiral bound. The soft back was a premium at markets with the purchase of Bisquick, I think it cost 99 cents with the Bisquick.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

This is the first Bisquick Cookbook published in 1964, 112 pages. It came in both a soft back spiral bound and a hardback spiral bound. The soft back was a premium at markets with the purchase of Bisquick, I think it cost 99 cents with the Bisquick.

While on the phone with Mom last night, I browsed Ebay, and described that one to her. It was definitely a smaller booklet that she remembered--no spiral or hard covers, about 20-30 pages. But I'd bet that one is more inclusive and has the recipe she wants. I'll probably buy one of those for her if we can't find her original with some more digging around.

pasta puttanesca ala some miami-area (florida) publication, circa 1991-92

Probably the sunday magazine supplement in the Herald, but not sure.

It was our favorite puttanesca recipe, and somehow it didnt make the trip west.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

• 7 years later...

Hi All! 

A couple of years ago (perhaps two or three), I found a recipe for sourdough loaf which had butter, sugar, powdered milk, and fresh milk. I can no longer find this recipe. Does anyone remember/have it? I can't seem to remember the measurements for all of the ingredients.

Thanks for any help! 

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted title (log)

• 1 year later...

I've been searching for years for a specific creamy cranberry Jell-O salad that was a favorite of my mother's; sadly the recipe got lost somewhere along the line. I don't think it was an original, probably out of a common cookbook or a pamphlet or something. I have found a few similar ones, and I can probably recreate it from what I remember and some tinkering, but I figure it's worth a shot.

What I am sure was in the recipe:

• Cranberries in some form
  • Mandarin oranges
  • Walnuts (or nuts, generally -- my family tended to put walnuts in anything that called for nuts)

What I think was also in it:

• Sour cream -- definitely some kind of creamy element
  • Lemon Jell-O
  • Celery

What was not in it, but is in a lot of similar recipes I've seen:

• Strawberry Jell-o
  • Pineapple
  • Marshmallows

Does this ring a bell for anyone?

As gratitude for searching the memory banks, I'll post the (non-creamy) cranberry salad recipe from the other side of my family, which is surprisingly different, but also good. 

Cranberry Jell-O Salad

1 lb. (4 cups) cranberries
1 juice orange (i.e., a thin-skinned orange for juicing)
2 cups sugar
4 cups water
2 pkgs. (3 oz.) JELL-O Lemon Flavor Gelatin
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped walnuts

Grind cranberries and unpeeled orange together in food processor (or food grinder if you're retro); add sugar and let stand.

Dissolve Jello in hot water; chill until partially set.

Mix Jell-o and cranberry mixture with all other ingredients.

Pour into serving bowl and let stand until firm. 

To mold the salad, it's best to reduce the water by 1/2 cup.

• Like 1

Hi @dtremit

My mom in law is very fond of a similar lime-jello / cream cheese recipe ...

Well, I pulled out my mom-in-laws old Church club cook books and here is what I found - I hope it is in some way helpful ... 

"Christmas Cranberry Salad" 

1 Can Whole Cranberry Sauce

16 Large Marshmallows

1 Small Can Crushed Pineapple (undrained) (you can sub Mandarin Oranges)

1 (3oz) pkg Strawberry Jell-O

1 (8oz) pkg Cream Cheese

1/2 C Pecans, chopped 

Melt Marshallows (medium heat) with crushed pineapple (oranges) and Jell-O.

When Marshmallows are melted, add the rest of ingredients. 

Chill. 

I went looking on the internet for a similar recipe and found a similar one here at Taste of Home ~ they used heavy whipping cream instead of cream cheese and people subbed in Mandarin Oranges instead of (apples?, I think it was) ... I hope this is somewhat helpful and steers you more in the right direction. 

Good luck! 

• Like 1

I have an EpiPen ... my friend gave it to me when he was dying ... it seemed very important to him that I have it ... 

My mother did something along the lines of a creamy lemon Jello with nuts and fruit in it. I'm pretty sure it included sour cream, as @dtremit suggests. I don't have her recipe cards at hand, but I can check with my sister to see what she remembers about it.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Here's one I used to use.  Haven't thought of it for a few years since I don't do big dinners now.

Josie Speight  was a nurse I worked with for 20 years. She was a twin and had an enormous family, thought nothing of doing T-Day  or other holiday dinners for  FORTY.  i was invited a few times.

JOSIE’S CRANBERRY GELATIN SALAD

2  cups fresh or frozen cranberries

1 1/4 cups sugar

1 cup water

1 (6-oz) pkg ORANGE gelatin powder

1 cup boiling water

1 (8-oz) pkg cream cheese -- softened

1/2 pint sour cream

2 cans mandarin orange segments, 11oz -- well drained 

1 cup ORANGE soda  You can substitute orange juice  but add a rounded tablespoon of sugar.

1/2 cup pecans -- chopped

Combine first three ingredients in saucepan and cook till cranberries pop and mixture thickens

set aside to cool.

Dissolve gelatin in water. 

In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese with sour cream until fluffy. 

Stir in gelatin and beat until smooth and color is evenly blended.

Stir in oranges, cranberries, soda and pecans. 

Chill until mixture mounds slightly when dropped from a spoon. 

Pour into a 13" x 9" x 2" dish. Refrigerate for 3 - 4 hours or till firm.

Cut into squares.

Can be garnished by a dollop of sweetened sour cream and a mandarin orange segment if desired.  

Sometimes I use a fine zester to get long, very fine strings of orange zest and make curls of this on top of each square.  

12 servings

This is for a dinner salad.  Some people like to substitute Mascarpone for the sour cream but it is not to my taste.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CatIsHungry said:

Maybe the sour cream / whipping cream / cream cheese thing is regional??? 

It's one of the "classic"  Jell-O  strawberry molded salads  in a Jell-O booklet that was featured and given away with the Tupperware gelatin molds - in the '60s.  Made with sweetened frozen strawberries, bananas, crushed pineapple, walnuts, cream cheese, sour cream and topped with whipped cream.  Later it was modified by omitting the bananas, subbing  drained crushed pineapple and/or mandarin oranges (when the canned product became available in most supermarkets).  I read that the original recipe was a Jell-O contest winner in the late 1950s that was sponsored by Jell-O in conjunction with Bird's Eye which had just introduced sweetened frozen strawberries in a box so the product was like a brick..

I lived next door to a regional Tupperware distributor who held "intro" parties for her sales people and I catered many of her parties.  Besides paying me, she gave me a lot of Tupperware, including some of the items only for the hostesses.  I had several of the molds in both sizes and a stack of the Jell-O  booklets that featured that  "salad" that could double as a dessert because it was quite sweet.

Later people made all kinds of changes to the basic recipe.

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 2

Oh, yes!   Coming from an in-law from a previous generation:

Madelaine's jello mold.

2 packages raspberry Jello

1 pint fresh raspberries

1 pint sour cream

Use only half the boiling liquid normally called for in making simple Jello.   Combine with other ingredients.   

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.