• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cod’s Roe

Pam Brunning

I bought a lovely looking cod’s roe weighing over a pound. I brined it and smoked it and have just made taramasalata with 4ozs but it is rather bitter. I have added more bread and oil but it is still not good. Anyone any ideas of how to get rid of the bitterness in the rest of it. I suspect it should have been done before I cured and smoked it?

The trouble is I didn’t think to try it raw. :rolleyes:

Pam Brunning Editor Food & Wine, the Journal of the European & African Region of the International Wine & Food Society

My link

I did the same thing recently (http://nickloman.tumblr.com/post/2765302946/home-made-taramasalata-fresh-cod-roe-cured-over) - it was a little bitter but not unacceptably so. I am not sure how you would make it less bitter - perhaps longer curing and/or soaking afterwards? Obviously need to remove any trace of green bile. Is it less bitter if fresher?

Perhaps it's just one of those things.

I think you do need a fair amount of bread and oil.

I did actually check Japanese sources, and it's very likely indeed that Hiroyuki would have some good ideas.

The only thing I found was that immature (underripe) roes can be bitter, and I have indeed tasted slightly bitter ones. The only recommendation was to cook them, because heat makes them somewhat less bitter. Apparently it's hard to identify an immature roe by sight alone anyway.