• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Liquid Breakfast Ideas

DanM

I have been placed on a liquid diet for the near future. I am consuming my weight in cream of name your vegetable soups, sorbet, Ensure, and other options during the day. I am running short on ideas for breakfast. The key rules are no chunks at all, no seeds of any kind (even berry seeds can be a trip to the ER), and must be liquid enough to drink from a cup. Smoothies are an option, but I want to hear other thoughts.

Thanks!

Dan

ETA... yes, I have a vitamix and it be well used.

Edited by DanM (log)

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

Ensure is awful--just the smell is enough to put me off drinking!

--Nonfat yogurt, thinned with your favorite fruit juice.

--Congee

--rice pudding, liquified

--Miso soup (instant or homemade) or clear dashi broth

--very thin oatmeal porridge, flavored w/maple syrup (pureed if necessary)

Mango lassi is a great option. Pureed mango, yoghurt, a little salt and spices like cinnamon, ginger.

I also like 'savoury' lassis, like mint and cucumber pureed into yoghurt.

Make some custard or creme anglaise. This could be thin enough to drink from a cup if watered down a little, but still rich, filling and delicious.

Blend silken tofu doused with sugar syrup flavoured with ginger until liquid.

Edited by rarerollingobject (log)

Are there any other restrictions on what you can ingest, other than the ones you mentioned?

If you want something quick, you might want to look into some of the stuff bodybuilders take; my brother (who only eats about half a dozen different things) more or less lives on this stuff, and some of it is not bad. You can get powders and premixed liquid versions. Like most of formulae, these can be doctored to improve their flavour, particularly if they don't have corn syrup or artificial sweeteners in them.

Can you get bottled yogurt where you are? In the EU, yogurt tends to be liquid, but I haven't seen much of that form in the US. You can add an amzing amount of stuff to that (e.g. cacao, instant coffee, cinnamon), without it becoming too thick to drink.

You can also take a pasteurized egg, mix in enough cacao and sugar to give you a loose paste, then gradually add milk/soymilk/liquid yogurt/what-have-you, plus anything else you feel inclined to add (cardamom and a pinch of salt are good) to give a fairly hefty beverage. If I drink that in the morning, I'm good until 14.00.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Thanks everyone.

Custards and puddings are a good idea. I will have to experiment with them. Flan for breakfast? Why not... I have enough ramekins to go around.

Lassis are a good idea that I will have to explore more.

Broths are okay, but low in calories and nutrients, something I need more of.

Regarding Ensure. I have been on Ensure Plus for about a week now and have tolerated it pretty well. I guess I am lucky my palette has not rejected it just yet. I may be on this liquid diet for the next 6-8 weeks, depending how the surgery goes, and will need it for calories and nutrients.

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

My favorite breakfast smoothie consists of cottage cheese, peanut butter, chocolate syrup, a couple of ice cubes and milk blended to desired consistency. You can also add flax meal (not sure if this is a good idea for you if berry seeds could be a problem), an egg or two (if you feel that's safe) and/or a banana (peeled and frozen in chunks, then you could skip the ice cubes.)

If you googling "Green Monster" should also give you lots of ideas for healthy blender beverages.

Wishing you a full and speedy recovery!

Corinna Heinz, aka Corinna

Check out my adventures, culinary and otherwise at http://corinnawith2ns.blogspot.com/

I second the lassi-like drinks. A couple of years ago, I had some kind of severe neuralgia that had me on an absolutely liquid diet, and what suited me best was vegetable juice (rather than smoothies...couldn't manage the texture) either plain, or cut with plain yogurt for breakfast and lunch. A very cheap juicer worked just fine.

If you want a bit more texture and fuller taste, try stirring in a bit of Japanese toasted soybean flour (kinako) or toasted ground sesame.

Pain dulls appetite, and these are the ones I remember as most refreshing.

Tomato and carrot juice with yogurt.

Celery and apple juice, with or without yogurt

Chinese greens with apple juiced with lemon (whole) and ginger, straight or cut with soda water.