• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plasticizers in rubber spatulas

thegreatdane

I've noticed over time rubber spatulas stay greasy, particularly ones I've used for chocolate. A friend said it's plasticizers coming out. Anyone know about this or good spatulas to use for oily substances?

Thanks,

Tom

I looked at the stuff that shows up on my silicone spatulas under the microscope - it appears to be fat crystals - I assume it's cocoa butter.

I've noticed over time rubber spatulas stay greasy, particularly ones I've used for chocolate. A friend said it's plasticizers coming out. Anyone know about this or good spatulas to use for oily substances?

Thanks,

Tom

I switched to silicon spatulas a while ago, because I didn't feel like worrying about plasticizers in maybe-rubber-but-probably-some-sort-of-plastic spatulas. But generally, to get the grease off plastic, rubber, or silicon, you need to apply the detergent directly, work up a lather, and repeat as necessary. I believe (organic chemistry is about a decade behind, me now) it has something to do with these compounds having a greater affinity for lipids than glass, metal, or ceramic.

Edited by Mjx (log)

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org