• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

King Arthur Flour Unbleached Cake Flour Blend

DanM

I have seen King Arthur Flour's new Unbleached Cake Flour Blend a few times in local stores. I was wondering if anyone has used it and what they thought of the product.

Thanks!

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

I just used some recently. I'm not sure if it was the flour, but the crumb in the cake I made was definitely different. As if there was a little more protein content? I had to make the cake twice. First time was a bust and I blamed myself. The second time, the cake came out acceptable, but there was some tunneling and stuff that I don't normally get with this particular cake. A little tougher, too.

i add it as a part of the flour when I add any wholegrains to muffins, etc. .I have used it in choclate cake and if anything I think it helped with texture and moistness. It was the best chocolate cake I've ever had that was butter based. The recipe on the box is almost identical to the one i used, and does have a little oil in it.I use really good coco, and good organic butter. I don't think it will make a really white cake, but i get a good tender product as long as i don't overmix!