• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cambio De Tercio

image_0001.jpg

At least two respected bloggers have voted here their choice of best Spanish restaurant in the Capital. As we have not eaten at a lot of Spanish restaurants in London we had to try it for ourselves.

This is however not our first time here. We visited last summer when the weather was a lot warmer. The sliding doors were wide open in continental style and everything was most welcoming.

Our meal was excellent, and I do mean excellent, but for one reason or another it did not get posted on here at the time, which was a real shame as it was and still is worthy of its own thread.

image_0002.jpg

The interior I guess is not to everyone's taste, with its garish colours and equally garish artwork. But you know what they say "beauty is in the eye" etc.

image_0003.jpg

A amusing Manchego cheese lollipop was served along with some delicious green olives.

The bread was ok, perhaps a bit ordinary and not lifted much by the accompanying olive oil.

At this juncture I must mention the greeting from the staff. Talk about "waggy tails" It was as though we had told them they had won the lottery.

We could not resist the tasting menu, which is really incredible value for six courses at £37.

image_0004.jpg

A cold Andalusian style tomato and bread soup was seved in a kilner jar, topped with some truly delicious cecina cured beef from Leon. This protected origin status beef (often made with horsemeat) is smoked, air dried and made from the hind legs of the beast. Little blobs of beetroot puree added a sweet distraction. The crunch from the toased bread added its bit also. Nice start this.

image_0005.jpg

Cantabrian salt cured anchovies were top notch although I suspect that quite a few may find them a little too salty. The supporting green peppers broke up that intensity. The "apple air" was purely decorative and added nothing. We mopped up the jus with the aforementioned bread so it did not go to waste.

image_0006.jpg

Crab Ravioli, "Basque Style",(three of) wallowed in a shallow pool of leek emulsion, topped with some perky sea asparagus and seaweed. This dish summed up Spain's and this chefs fixation with the Sea and all its treasures. The crab we thought could have been more pronounced, however the surprise of some sea urchin caviar every so often negated this.

image_0007.jpg

One of the the best bits of fish I have eaten recently, Salt Cod, "Pil, Pil Basque style". A translucent, flaky, barely cooked (as it should be) tranche of lovelyness. According to my bit of research Pil, Pil, style is an emulsion of the Cods gelatin and olive oil. To the side of the Cod is a sweetened tomato with its acidic undertone, adding a counterpoint to the dish.

image_0008.jpg

Fillet of Venison was a bit disappointing, it was a bit on the tough side and not up to the standard of the one that we ate the previous day at Adam Simmonds at Danesfield. It was not helped at all by the dried fruits, date, apricot,prunes, and fig. Nothing wrong with the combination, just the skins were mostly tough and unedible. A shame really it could have been quite a bit better.

image_0009.jpg

Another view of the dish. Don't get me wrong most would be happy with this dish, its just a shame it was marred slightly by the aforementioned. Btw in the foreground is baked apple and some sweet potato is in there too.

image_0010.jpg

Seville Oranges, cinnamon, bread, yogurt ice cream, was just like a bowl of Robertson's marmalade, thinned down by half. Not that it was at all unpleasant, far from it, it was a bit unusual, at least from my point of view.

You may notice "no bread". I queryied the lack of it and was informed "we ran out last night". No problem.

image_0011.jpg

We rarely take coffee, but were still presented some petit four, of lemon madelines and tasty chocs.

The manager comped us a glass each of most welcome Telmo Rodriquez moscatel from Malaga which went down a treat. I must make the point that this is in keeping with typical Spanish hospitality and do not think it was directed only to us.

Well, a little bit up and down, but not dramatically so and considering the bill was half the price of our Michelin starred Adam Simmonds meal, a great result. What was most encouraging was, and still is our desire to return to explore the menu, especially the tapas courses.

Must mention its sister tapas restaurant Tendido Cero which is directly across the road, with even kinder prices. If the food is anywhere as good, and you are on a budget you could try there.

Meal for two, on tasting menu, plus a very good bottle of "Adras", service charge, ultra clean Thames tap water £107.44.

I thank you.

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

It's good but Iberica is better for that kind of money, nicer decor and buzz too.

Bloggers tend to always rave about places like this, it's a kind of agenda they have.

Any chance of a link to their website? Or a review perhaps?

"Agenda", please explain. They are very well read and respected.

What do you think of the photos btw. :biggrin:

@d_goodfellow1

david - I love your posts, they give me a great deal of pleasure.

I couldn't bring myself to photograph my food in a restaurant, but I'm glad that you and others do. Photo's are great, your new camera seems to do the trick!

david - I love your posts, they give me a great deal of pleasure.

I couldn't bring myself to photograph my food in a restaurant, but I'm glad that you and others do. Photo's are great, your new camera seems to do the trick!

Thank you kindly :biggrin:

Comments like yours make the effort all the more worthwhile.

@d_goodfellow1