• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Work Trip to Tokyo-Yokosuka

terrarich

I am going on my first trip to Japan. Unfortunately it is a work trip. I will be in Yokosuka for five days, working on the naval bases. I am hoping to get out in the evenings and avoid eating 'Merican with the sailors and my ex-military travel partner. My understanding is that curry rice originated on the bases so I am looking forward to some hearty bowlfuls.

I did go ahead and schedule to arrive in Tokyo two days earlier so that I can walk around parts of the city. I am staying in Shinjuku on the east side of the train station. Mostly interested in some righteous ramen. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Terrarich

Crashed and Burned Cook

Current Wannabe

The ramen Jiro in Shinjuku is quite an experience. Ramen Jiro packs a punch.

There is also a special ramen underground alley in Tokyo Station which has a bunch of very famous ramen shops.

Japanese curry is indeed very good, I hope you can try a good one.

Enjoy Japan!

Edited by Foodietopo (log)

My blog about food in Japan

Foodie Topography

www.foodietopography.com

There is a really cool ramen shop own by an American in Tokyo, "Ivan Ramen" which might be the only foreigner owned shop in the whole country.

http://www.ivanramen.com/

He recently opened a second shop, his first shop is a little bit out of the way.

I talked a bit about ramen with Ivan Orkin and he told me that ramen Jiro was a scary experience. Ramen Jiro offers a massive dose of umami according to him, so much that you keep eating despite feeling 100% full, it's like drug.

Foodie Topography

www.foodietopography.com

I had read about Ivan. His first shop is a long train ride away. Is his second shop already open?

I also read that ramen Jiro was a "he-man" ramen experience. I am planning on trying a couple of places so Jiro will be one. Would you like to join me?

Terrarich

Crashed and Burned Cook

Current Wannabe

There was a Jiro ramen right close to my older son's high school...it was definitely a place to go on a dare, rather than for a good eating experience.

I'm almost never in the Shinjuku area, but you might like to take a look in Kabuki-cho (just not too late at night!). Fun, especially if you are with a friend, to poke around the small stalls and bars.

Marusuke Ramen in Shinjuku 3-chomeis standard ramen, should be quite close to where you are...with Shinjuku station at your back, walk along Yasukuni-dori to the big intersection that has two Isetan department store buildings opposite each other on the left sider On the right-hand corner is the Take Eight building, where you will find Marusuke.

Looks like the second shop is open.

From what I can see on the map, it's right next to Kyodo station which is not too far from Shibuya. I will certainly try to visit his new shop on my next visit.

The first shop is not too far, but it's not in central Tokyo. I took the train from Shinjuku to get there.

I had read about Ivan. His first shop is a long train ride away. Is his second shop already open?

I also read that ramen Jiro was a "he-man" ramen experience. I am planning on trying a couple of places so Jiro will be one. Would you like to join me?

Foodie Topography

www.foodietopography.com