• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Canada Goose cooking advice

Recoil Rob

We braved the single digit temps on Sat. morning and I came away with one nice Canada goose and one brant. I would appreciate some cooking advice from those of you that have actually cooked Canada geese, not domestic.

We took these over an inlet on Long Islands south side. I have to say my hands smelled a bit after cleaning these two birds, sort of a muddy smell. I have already brined the breasts and legs.

I understand they taste better if they have been feeding on corn but is there any hope for this red meat? I'd prefer something other than the ubiquitous hunters recipe that starts out with a can of Cream of Mushroom soup or is put in a slow cooker with BBQ sauce for 8 hours.

thanks, Rob

Edited by Recoil Rob (log)

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.

- Errol Flynn

I used to do alot of hunting occasioanlly bagging a goose. I think I used to pluck mine, thou ?

I would probably breast it , like you did. Pan fry with a little bacon on top. Then, Make a spicy berry reduction sauce Using the carcass to make a stock, to fortify.

I have others in my club who have somked some with good results, but I dont have a specific recipe.

Good luck

I'm not a leg man .. :wink:

Its good to have Morels

As a Canadian, I highly recommend that you go out and purchase a nice piece of the organic meat of your choice and have that instead.

They aren't food. Seriously, don't eat that. You don't know where it's been.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

Ive been hunting and eating Canadian Geese for 35+ years. When we could find a guy who cleaned birds near Horicon Wisconsin we had them plucked and dressed and cooked them like we cook a wild duck, roasted rare. The leg/thighs were always tough. Now that we haven't been able to have this service for about 20 years we have turned to breasting out the goose and taking the leg/thighs in one neat package.

The breasts are simply seared in butter, sometimes after a quick dip in Dale's seasoning, finished in a hot oven until rare and rested about 10 minutes. The leg/thighs are braised in a sour cream sauce with juniper berries or some such seasoning until tender.-Dick

Tried the brant breasts tonight. Floured, browned in olive oil, deglazed with a full bodied red, finished in oven. Quite tender, a bit of mineral taste, similar to lamb, not unpleasant but not pheasant or duck.

Tomorrow the Canada...

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.

- Errol Flynn

I know a number of people that go goose hunting and only breast the birds. 99.9% of the time they are Canadian Geese. If I can talk them into it I try to get them to save the thighs and the legs for me. I use the meat either in gumbo or I make a real stroganoff out of it. I must admit the legs and thighs can be rather tough at times. I also usually start by slow simmering the meat in some stock and vegetables just to tenderize the meat a bit and then add it in whatever I am making. I found this helps to tenderize it.

Friends used to bring us geese. We had two on many occasions and we usually roasted both. Many times, only one would be edible. We make lots of wonderful stock.

Goose consomme is absolutely wonderful.

Tim