• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Philly's Restuarant Scene Makes the NY Times

angevin

Nice to see us getting some respect from those New Yorkers:

http://travel.nytimes.com/2011/01/23/travel/23choice-philadelphia.html?pagewanted=1&ref=travel

There are short reviews from a broad sampling of four restaurants:

Supper, Barbuzzo, JG Domestic and Fish.

I thought the article was a bit condescending, concluding that the sampling represents a "new breed of Philadelphia restaurant". We've had great restaurants for years now! And the mention of Steven Starr "of Morimoto and Buddakan fame" opening restaurants in Philedelphia implies that Starr started in NYC and is now expanding to Philly. Starr is OUR guy -that's just stealing!

Edited by angevin (log)

Two things, New York Times.

First, "Beyond Cheese Steaks ...?" Not the most original slant to an article on Philadelphia restaurants. Perhaps the first of a series: "Beyond Lobster Rolls ...," "Beyond Italian Beef ...," and "Beyond Gumbo ...".

Second, it is "Cheesesteaks," not "Cheese Steaks."

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Again, we are forever the redheaded stepchild. They just can't seem to get the idea that the scene here is and has been excellent for QUITE SOME TIME NOW. And cheesesteaks are so passe. And so NOT the best thing available here. It's Roast Pork Italiano sammies for sure, and if they'd bothered to even check, they'd see that the sandwich category is getting plenty of props nationally for Paesano's, John's Roast Pork, places at the RTM, etc. not just the neon tourist traps at that certain intersection in South Philly. Jeezus! Get a clue already. It frustrates me that they refuse to get it or even bother to do a quick Google search before they make sweeping generalizations, but if it keeps them from becoming Philly's equivalent of the B&T crowd and I can still get reservations at my favorite places or a shorter line at those places that don't take them, I'm totally fine with that.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

This sort of cliched sloppy writing is rampant esp re Philly. Nothing like polishing a cherished stereotype when you are cranking out a story. For how much longer must we hear idiot sports guys bring up snowballing Santa at the Vet (not that he didn't deserve it)...or a reference to Bookbinder's as representative of our restaurants?

Two things Katie (I sense a trend here):

First I hate it when Philadelphians label Gino's and especially Pat's as tourist traps. They aren't, any more than Reading Terminal is - which it isn't. Both cheesesteak places have generations of local customers that far outweigh the tourists. I'd never go to either on a weekend when lines wrap around the building - but especially Pat's, when not overwhelmed, puts out a good and sometimes great cheese steak.

Second - There are no "sammies" served in Philadelphia, except perhaps at Subway and maybe in the suburbs. I dare you to go to Tony Luke's and order a pork sammie. :smile:

Though more Philadelphia's probably eat cheese steak than pork sandwiches, I agree the roast pork sandwich is not as identified with Philadelphia as it deserves. I'd also add relative newcomer Jake's and old timer George's Sandwiches to your list of worthy Philadelphia sandwich destinations. George's, especially, never seems to get its due.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Holly:

The "sammies" reference was for everyone else, not for us local yokels.

Perhaps it's just that I'm not a fan of the cheesesteak in general. Much more so of the Roast Pork Italiano. But if I am going to eat one I'm far likelier to get it at Steve's in the Northeast or at Tony Lukes. Never a fan of either of the neon bastions, even less so of Geno's after the "English only" debacle.

Your additions to the thriving sandwich culture here are totally worthy. I'm a big fan of the spicy veal sandwich at George's. So much so that I still get the filling in a container without the bread since I've been low carb dieting. :smile: I think Philly may have the best sandwich culture around. There's an awful lot of good stuff on bread here. And a awful lot of good places to get it. There's a lot of good stuff here in general as well as places to get it. But we've known that for a long time. Seems the rest of the world is still catching up.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Its also too bad there was no discussion of the gastropub as a type of restaurant that Philadelphia excels in.. everything from Monks, Royal Tavern, South Philly Taproom and Fork and+ Barrel.

The author did appear to have some Philadelphia roots since she reminisced about eating at Dalessandros so it wasn't a blatant Pats Genos Jimmys reference..