• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pressure Cookers: 2011 and beyond

Chris Amirault

I think this depends a little on the kind of pressure cooker, how the pressure cooker is used, and what happens with the contents afterwards.  For example, I use a very large pressure canner to make large volumes of stock.  Since it is a pressure canner, it has a jiggle-top pressure regulator.  But, since non-venting pressure cookers have been held to make better stocks, I don't actually want the canner to vent while I am using it for stock.  So what I have been doing is putting a small weight (something around the size/weight of 4 quarters) on top of the regulator weight, which means that the pressure can go above 15 PSI before it will start venting.  I just keep my eye on the pressure gauge and regulate the heat source so that the PSI ends up at 15 PSI.  After I turn off the heat the extra weights stay on top of the regulator weight, and as the temperature comes down the decrease in internal pressure sucks the regulator weight onto the nipple and seals the pressure canner to such an extent that a small amount of force is required to remove the regulator weight.  Considering that it takes practically all night for this amount of product to come down to temperature, after which I strain, reboil and pressure can it, this has seemed safe to me.  As others have pointed out, spring-regulated locking pressure cookers unock and vent once they come down to atmospheric pressure, so that's a different story.

Edited by slkinsey (log)

--

Curious as to how long a fully-pressurized cooker could maintain temps above 140F when placed in a Wonderbag / Wonderbox / Haybox?  Venting issues aside for now, an 8 cu. ft. unit (or more) should be able to do this overnight, right?

I've been thinking about making one of these -- it'd be interesting to see how long my Fagor Duo (venting) P.C. could maintain pressure once removed from the heat source.

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Could one prduce a safe product by pressure cooking stock, then vacuum pack it (chamber vac) and repasturize it using SV or a pot of boling water?

Yes, as long as it's properly chilled and stored, etc....but that would be a lot of extra work.

I often make shelf-stable full-flavored stock directly in a canning jar processed in a pressure canner.

It's much less work and it captures ALL the flavor.

Not the best pic but here's a jar of chicken stock (this is a double stock so it's quite concentrated)......

0b65dqa.png

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Electric pressure cookers such as my Instant pot will keep food under pressure for 10 hours after its cooked. I have checked this temp with a digital thermometer to be a consistent 155F. I have not found a use to keep food already done at this temp, but surely if someone needs to do such methods with the instant pot its most definitely safe.

I dont work for them, Nor have they ever given me any products. I just love my Instant pot.

• 2 weeks later...

Could one prduce a safe product by pressure cooking stock, then vacuum pack it (chamber vac) and repasturize it using SV or a pot of boling water?

You could re-pasteurize but it would not be shelf-stable or safe for long term storage at room temperature (I'd hesitate to store it long term anywhere but the freezer).

--

• 4 weeks later...

I also am interested in what people think of these

i recalled a CI review and found it more or less here :

as usual, sometimes their reviews are not as complete as they might be :

there are electric PC's that have an SS insert Ive found

and this :

http://www.hippressurecooking.com/the-difference-between-stove-top-and-electric-pressure-cookers/

Edited by rotuts (log)

rotuts,

I have had both electric and non-electric pressure cookers.  In my mind there's just no comparison.  The quality of the stove top models is fantastic.  I have models made by Kuhn Rikon as well as Fissler and the Fissler is much superior.

The electric models I owned have long ago been donated.

This is the one I use the most:  http://www.amazon.com/Fissler-FSSFIS5850-Vitaquick-Pressure-Stainless/dp/B007X5BD0G/ref=sr_1_sc_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1439386625&sr=8-8-spell&keywords=fissler+presure+cooker

And I also have this one:  http://www.amazon.com/Fissler-Vitaquick-Pressure-Cooker-6-3qt/dp/B00873AO8A/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439386800&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=fissler+6+qt.+presure+cooker

I love using these and right now there're really handy for vegetables.  Also nice to not heat up the kitchen.

thanks

I have a Fagor.  as I use it rarely, it suits me.

My mother used to use a pressure cooker a bazillion years ago ( perhaps the 'outlet' valve got gummy? )

one day the weight that set the temp by its weight  ( its that old or was ) blew off and went through the ceiling and into the room up stairs

:blink:

since then ........................

• Like 3

I have the Aroma digital pressure cooker that also has  slow cook, steam, brown, simmer and warm functions.  Essentially the same as the "Instant Pot"

I use it at least once a week, usually more often -  meats, beans, vegetables, fruits for preserves,

I have a rice cooker (IH) so haven't really used it for that.  

There is one important function I love - once set, after the pressure cooking, simmer or whatever, for the set time, it turns automatically to KEEP WARM and maintains this for 12 hours. 

I have an old Farberware electric pressure cooker which works okay but doesn't have the extra "bells and whistles" and the way the lid is constructed, with the gasket seal, it is a bitch to clean and the little vent has to be reamed out with a tiny "bottle" brush. 

None of these problems with the Aroma.

It has a "non-stick" pan but that doesn't bother me, I don't use metal utensils anyway. 

Any of these that have the same functions work well.  My friend got one similar to mine except it has  "beans, soup, stew, etc., instead of the function names on the touchpads.  She is not at all tech savvy and had no problems working out how to use it.

I forgot.  I have also used mine for deep frying - set on "Brown" without the lid!   I wanted some nachos and my fry basket fits nicely in the pot.  The fat got to 365° F 

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 3

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I've owned a Smart Instant Pot for few months.

1.  Made many types of soups, curries (high pressure then then lower pressure for gentle proteins) and porridges.

2.  Roasts.

3.  Sauteed onions for beef bowls.

4.  Steamed veggies.

5.  "Baked" potatoes

6.  Slow cooker and rice cooker replacement.

You can also make yogurt with it.

I like it because it's one pot that than simplifies my life and kitchen.  

I agree that there are those that feel that the bluetooth functionality is worthless, but I'm an engineer and I like to build my recipes into a script and not waste my time walking over there constantly to increase/decrease pressure manually, it can monitor the internal stats as well so I can tune the script until I finalize it.

I also had the model that had the electricity problem, so I cut the cord off and sent the picture as requested.  I got my replacement with extras in about a week.

• Like 6

• 4 years later...

It's been what, close to seven years?  I figured I should replace the gasket on my Fissler.  But to get free shipping I added a baby four quart vitavit to the shopping cart...

http://www.fissler.international/en/products/pressure_cookers/lines/vitavit_edition_design/vitavit_edition_design_details/product/p_vitavit_edition_design_pressure_cooker.html?no_cache=1

When I bought my first Fisslers the vitavit edition was not available in the US.  I have to say this little one is cute.  So far I've used it for a couple dinners.

Pesto02152020.png

Artichoke02152020.png

Last night was a bowl of Ranch Gordo Silvia Flor de Junio.  The vitavit makes a great combination with Paragon induction cooker.  Set the temperature on the Paragon and the Fissler needs no attention.  On the stovetop (at least on my stovetop) it was impossible to achieve a constant temperature.  If I can find my Thermax temperature test strips I'll measure the maximum temperature the vitavit can reach.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 8 months later...

sup guys,

admittedly, i didn't read all 21 pages of this topic yet, but i've decided to get a fissler vitavit premium 10 L (10.6 qt).

however, from googling and reading their website, i didn't understand some things about their lineup, so i emailed them.

here's my personal little FAQ in case it helps someone. this info was obtained from fissler usa:

Q: what is the warranty on the vitavit premium?
i see lifetime on your website's FAQ section, but the instruction manual PDF says 3 years. which is it?

• A: The warranty for our pressure cookers is lifelong for the stainless steel cooking vessels. The warranty for the handles is 3 years. All maintenance parts (valves, gaskets, membranes)  are not covered by warranty. Please see the attached document that details our warranties.

Q: do i need to purchase from an "authorized retailer" for the warranty to be valid? if so, where do i find a complete list of authorized sellers?

• A: In order to claim warranty you have to buy from an authorized seller. Please go to fissler.com for a list of those sellers. Please know that you can always contact us for questions and issues with or about your product. We are always here to help our customers. Ordering over Fissler.com is safe and easy and because we do have all the information we can directly help you.

Q: what pressure does the vitavit premium reach? do the USA and EU models differ in this regard? i've heard rumors that the USA model reaches a lower pressure. if that's true, what is the reason for this?

• A: We have discontinued selling the US models and are only selling the European models. The difference in pressure - if there is one at all - is minimal.

Q: what is the difference between vitavit premium and vitavit edition design? is it only the shape of the handle?

• A: The difference between vitavit premium and edition design is - as you have stated - mainly the looks of the handle. Please see the attached comparison sheet that compares the various pressure cooker models.

Q: what is the difference between the vitavit comfort and the vitaquick? is vitavit comfort just a new name for the vitaquick?

• A: The vitavit comfort is a model that is positioned in between the vitaquick and the vitavit premium. It is a series by itself. Please refer to the comparison sheet to see the differences. 

btw, they gave me a coupon code when i emailed. it was good enough for me to purchase directly from them. this also conveniently assures me of a valid warranty :)

i'd share it, but i'm basically positive it's a one-time-use code.

cheers

1009454666_fisslerproductcomparison.png.af21fd1de155d195543e04aa114e2d4c.png

Warranty Fissler.pdf

Edited by jaw (log)
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, jaw said:

sup guys,

admittedly, i didn't read all 21 pages of this topic yet, but i've decided to get a fissler vitavit premium 10 L (10.6 qt).

however, from googling and reading their website, i didn't understand some things about their lineup, so i emailed them.

here's my personal little FAQ in case it helps someone. this info was obtained from fissler usa:

Q: what is the warranty on the vitavit premium?
i see lifetime on your website's FAQ section, but the instruction manual PDF says 3 years. which is it?

• A: The warranty for our pressure cookers is lifelong for the stainless steel cooking vessels. The warranty for the handles is 3 years. All maintenance parts (valves, gaskets, membranes)  are not covered by warranty. Please see the attached document that details our warranties.

Q: do i need to purchase from an "authorized retailer" for the warranty to be valid? if so, where do i find a complete list of authorized sellers?

• A: In order to claim warranty you have to buy from an authorized seller. Please go to fissler.com for a list of those sellers. Please know that you can always contact us for questions and issues with or about your product. We are always here to help our customers. Ordering over Fissler.com is safe and easy and because we do have all the information we can directly help you.

Q: what pressure does the vitavit premium reach? do the USA and EU models differ in this regard? i've heard rumors that the USA model reaches a lower pressure. if that's true, what is the reason for this?

• A: We have discontinued selling the US models and are only selling the European models. The difference in pressure - if there is one at all - is minimal.

Q: what is the difference between vitavit premium and vitavit edition design? is it only the shape of the handle?

• A: The difference between vitavit premium and edition design is - as you have stated - mainly the looks of the handle. Please see the attached comparison sheet that compares the various pressure cooker models.

Q: what is the difference between the vitavit comfort and the vitaquick? is vitavit comfort just a new name for the vitaquick?

• A: The vitavit comfort is a model that is positioned in between the vitaquick and the vitavit premium. It is a series by itself. Please refer to the comparison sheet to see the differences. 

btw, they gave me a coupon code when i emailed. it was good enough for me to purchase directly from them. this also conveniently assures me of a valid warranty :)

i'd share it, but i'm basically positive it's a one-time-use code.

cheers

1009454666_fisslerproductcomparison.png.af21fd1de155d195543e04aa114e2d4c.png

Warranty Fissler.pdf 54.77 kB · 2 downloads

I have two Vitaquick and one Vitavit.  It gets confusing but I love them.

i actually didn't order yet, but since i've got the discount going, i was thinking of grabbing some other stuff.

i'm considering getting a spare gasket and a glass lid to use it like a normal pot. i bet the spare gasket would last a long time in a cool, dark place. maybe i'll save some money in the long run by buying one now, idk. haha. hard to say.

are you guys fans of other stuff by fissler? anything else i should look at?

Edited by jaw (log)

1 hour ago, jaw said:

i actually didn't order yet, but since i've got the discount going, i was thinking of grabbing some other stuff.

i'm considering getting a spare gasket and a glass lid to use it like a normal pot. i bet the spare gasket would last a long time in a cool, dark place. maybe i'll save some money in the long run by buying one now, idk. haha. hard to say.

I just recently swapped out for a new gasket.  They last for a long time.  Still it's nice to know you have a spare on the shelf.

The most recent thing I got was a frying basket.  I use it a lot.  The glass lid I use for making bread.  Long story.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jaw said:

I don’t have a Fissler but did get a glass lid with my PC and use it often, though I guess I could use a silicone lid instead.

On 10/25/2020 at 1:44 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I have two Vitaquick and one Vitavit.  It gets confusing but I love them.

aside from the handle shape, does the actual bottom of the vitaquick and vitavit look identical?

i'm looking to get a vitavit premium 10.6qt

and also a vitaquick / vitavit comfort Pressure Skillet (only) 4.2qt which is the bottom only. i'd like to use it with the vitavit premium lid.

comparing vitavit premium vs vitqauick/vitavit comfort, obviously the handles are different:

https://www.fissler.com/us/products/product-detail/vitavit-premium-pressure-skillet-with-lid-1/

vs

https://www.fissler.com/us/products/product-detail/vitaquick-pressure-skillet-8-7-inch-2-7-qt/

but i'm thinking maybe i can change the handle out on the pressure skillet bottom: https://www.fissler.com/us/products/product-detail/vitavit-premium-pot-handle-for-pressure-skillet-26-cm/

obviously this only works if there are no other differences except for the handle.

i asked customer support, but they didn't get back to me. not yet at least.

24 minutes ago, jaw said:

aside from the handle shape, does the actual bottom of the vitaquick and vitavit look identical?

i'm looking to get a vitavit premium 10.6qt

and also a vitaquick / vitavit comfort Pressure Skillet (only) 4.2qt which is the bottom only. i'd like to use it with the vitavit premium lid.

comparing vitavit premium vs vitqauick/vitavit comfort, obviously the handles are different:

https://www.fissler.com/us/products/product-detail/vitavit-premium-pressure-skillet-with-lid-1/

vs

https://www.fissler.com/us/products/product-detail/vitaquick-pressure-skillet-8-7-inch-2-7-qt/

but i'm thinking maybe i can change the handle out on the pressure skillet bottom: https://www.fissler.com/us/products/product-detail/vitavit-premium-pot-handle-for-pressure-skillet-26-cm/

obviously this only works if there are no other differences except for the handle.

i asked customer support, but they didn't get back to me. not yet at least.

The bottoms I believe are different.  Not interchangeable.

• Like 1

hi JoNorvelleWalker,

is there any chance you could snap some pics? also, are all of your fisslers made after 2010? because i think there was a redesign in 2010, so that may add a layer of incompatibility. so for example, if you're looking at a vitaquick made before 2010 and a vitavit made after 2010, i know for sure those aren't compatible.

this page shows what i mean: https://myfissler.com/manuals.php

i'm still holding out hope for converting a new vitaquick bottom into a vitavit premium bottom, lol.

5 hours ago, jaw said:

hi JoNorvelleWalker,

is there any chance you could snap some pics? also, are all of your fisslers made after 2010? because i think there was a redesign in 2010, so that may add a layer of incompatibility. so for example, if you're looking at a vitaquick made before 2010 and a vitavit made after 2010, i know for sure those aren't compatible.

this page shows what i mean: https://myfissler.com/manuals.php

i'm still holding out hope for converting a new vitaquick bottom into a vitavit premium bottom, lol.

Turns out I don't have a Vitavit premium, it is a Vitavit edition design.  Anyhow here is the Vitaquick...

Vitaquick10292020.png

And the Vitavit edition design...

VitavitEditionDesign10292020.png

They are not really all that dissimilar but they are different sizes so I can't do the test.

• Like 1

i see.

well, i looked carefully at all the images i could find online (including in the instruction manuals) and decided to make a $75 gamble on it. i bet i can make it work. will update when i receive it.

it's the metal rim that has to match as i'll be replacing the handle. but i get that yours are in two different sizes. thanks for taking a look for me anyways!

Edited by jaw (log)
  • Like 1