• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pressure Cookers: 2011 and beyond

Chris Amirault

I have two of the Vitaquick cookers and both perform perfectly. The manuals were correct.

Purchased thru Amazon.

OK, thanks, I did it. I ordered the Quatro Set Large on Amazon, for delivery tomorrow. I sort of wish I had a few more dollars left for food.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I have two of the Vitaquick cookers and both perform perfectly. The manuals were correct.

Purchased thru Amazon.

OK, thanks, I did it. I ordered the Quatro Set Large on Amazon, for delivery tomorrow. I sort of wish I had a few more dollars left for food.

congratulations, you will love them!

once you get some food to cook that is :-)

Purchased thru Amazon.

I was not so fortunate. My manual is for the vitavit premium. The Amazon reviewers were correct. In my opinion supplying the wrong manual for a pressure vessel is pretty inexcusable for a large well established company. (Fortunately one of the lanuages is English.)

As upset as I am with Cuisinart for not supplying spare parts for my now useless Cuisinart pressure cooker, at least when I bought the Cuisinart they enclosed a xeroxed sheet in place of the missing manual, with an apology that they would mail the printed manual when it was available. Which they did.

Somewhat more positive first impressions of the Vitaquick:

The pans are beautiful. All the pieces fit together smoothly and precisely. The smaller 4 liter pan has the Fissler dimpled browning surface. The larger 8 liter pan has a smooth surface. The two pans nest together nicely. Included are a perforated insert, tripod, and glass lid.

With the supplied perforated inset installed, the 8 liter Vitaquick pan will accomodate one Bormioli quart (1 liter) canning jar. However there is very little space between the lid of the jar and the lid of the Vitaquick. Can anyone tell me if this is OK? Or should there be some minimum clearance? There is enough room for four Bormioli pint canning jars, with plenty of space above.

I'm not sure if this is a plus or a minus, but the pans are heavy. Expect an update after I try some pressure testing later.

The pressure test worked as far as I can tell.

I put the 8 liter pan on medium high heat with 300 ml water in it. After a couple minutes steam came out of the handle. A few seconds later the steam shut off and the pressure indicator began to rise. I reduced the heat to low when the second white ring of the pressure indicator was visible. However steam started coming out of the handle again and making noise, telling me (I think) that the pressure was too high, so I took the pan off the burner. When the indicator started to go down I put the pan back on the burner at the lowest heat setting. The lowest setting of the burner was sufficient to hold the pressure at two rings (whatever pressure that may be) for the twenty minutes that I tested.

The manual says the maximum pressure is 75 kPa, however I do not necessarily believe the manual (for reasons stated above). Thus I'm no closer to knowing the actual pressure. The lid is stamped "US", which as pazzaglia mentioned earlier in the thread probably denotes a different pressure setting.

Interestingly the 8 liter pan came with a sticker that says "Complies with UL 136", the US pressure cooker standard. However, as shipped, the pan cannot comply with UL 136, since UL 136 specifies what information about the pan must be in the included manual.

I spoke with a representative of Fissler about having received the wrong manual with my Vitaquick. She said they ran out of Vitaquick manuals and she is mailing me a photocopy. I asked for a printed manual when they are again available. A note in the package would have been helpful rather than just shipping the wrong manual, but I did not tell her this.

I also asked her about any pressure difference between the US and the European Vitaquick. She said the models were the same. I pointed out that the lid of mine is stamped "US". She said the "US" just means it has UL approval. She added that the maximum pressure of the Vitaquick is 15-18 pounds per square inch.

The UK Vitaquick manual lists the high pressure setting as 80 kPa, which is 11.6 PSI.

Pazzaglia, if you are reading this, could you use your Fissler contacts to get further clarification from the factory?

Since I can't edit my last post, the bottom of the Vitaquick base lists the maximum operating pressure as 150 kPa, which is 21.76 PSI.

i'd hazard a guess (?) it has something to do with the extreme limit or when the last valve or seal lets go, the normal operating valve ,blue with white rings is apparently as stated by the Test Kitchen thingy, or the 'correct' manual, which ever you prefer. apparently if you go past the second line it gets a little higher than standard and then there is the other valve on the lid if the first has a problem, then finally if memory serves the seal/gasket around the lid will pop out if both other valves fail. of course thats all just a guess on my part

I've used my Vitaquick PCs enough now that I can say that they work perfectly. I absolutely love the heft of these pans; there'll not be any warping with these. I have several Kuhn Rikon PCs as well and they simply do not compare with the Vitaquick. I wish I'd seen these before purchasing the K-Rs.

My favorite has to be the Vitaquick 4.2 pressure pan that comes with an additional glass lid and a steamer basket. I use the basket a lot for cooking vegetables. I do my fresh green beans for just 3 minutes and they're perfection. I also do a lot of beets.

One of my dogs is on the green bean diet and I cook her frozen green beans for just 30-seconds after the pan has come to pressure.

I've used my Vitaquick PCs enough now that I can say that they work perfectly. I absolutely love the heft of these pans; there'll not be any warping with these. I have several Kuhn Rikon PCs as well and they simply do not compare with the Vitaquick. I wish I'd seen these before purchasing the K-Rs.

My favorite has to be the Vitaquick 4.2 pressure pan that comes with an additional glass lid and a steamer basket. I use the basket a lot for cooking vegetables. I do my fresh green beans for just 3 minutes and they're perfection. I also do a lot of beets.

One of my dogs is on the green bean diet and I cook her frozen green beans for just 30-seconds after the pan has come to pressure.

i bet the dog salivates like crazy when he sees a steak on TV, i bet he's looking how to jump the fence when he smells the neighbours having a BBQ :laugh: hehe, reminds me of that cartoon movie Madagascar , after being on the island for a while, when the lion is looking at his friends, the zebra etc and just sees walking juicy T bone steaks :biggrin:

i agree the Vitaquick pans work perfectly, i like that 4.2 size as well although i dont have the glass lid. my 8L (8.4quart i think) gets a lot of use too though

cheers

chippy

JoNorvelleWalker, on 15 Sept 2013 - 03:58, said:
The pressure test worked as far as I can tell.

I put the 8 liter pan on medium high heat with 300 ml water in it. After a couple minutes steam came out of the handle. A few seconds later the steam shut off and the pressure indicator began to rise. I reduced the heat to low when the second white ring of the pressure indicator was visible. However steam started coming out of the handle again and making noise, telling me (I think) that the pressure was too high, so I took the pan off the burner. When the indicator started to go down I put the pan back on the burner at the lowest heat setting. The lowest setting of the burner was sufficient to hold the pressure at two rings (whatever pressure that may be) for the twenty minutes that I tested.

The manual says the maximum pressure is 75 kPa, however I do not necessarily believe the manual (for reasons stated above). Thus I'm no closer to knowing the actual pressure. The lid is stamped "US", which as pazzaglia mentioned earlier in the thread probably denotes a different pressure setting.

Interestingly the 8 liter pan came with a sticker that says "Complies with UL 136", the US pressure cooker standard. However, as shipped, the pan cannot comply with UL 136, since UL 136 specifies what information about the pan must be in the included manual.

I'm having a terrible time getting a straight answer from Fissler U.S. myself. I want to clarify that my direct experience and knowledge of the Fissler U.S. lids is limited to their previous model - the Blue Point. Until I hear back from someone knowledgeable (I'm about to shoot an e-mail straight to Germany) I cannot confirm whether the U.S. Vitaquick lid and valves are designed to OPERATE at 15psi.

ATK's measurement of 250F/15psi for the Vitaquick is not a significant data point because in reading between the lines of their reviews, it appears that some cookers were measured while loosing pressure while others were in over-pressure. ANY cooker can REACH 15psi (even an 11 psi electric cooker) the useful information to the cook is whether they MAINTAIN it during cooking at pressure (this is called Operating Pressure) - which is used to determine pressure cooking times.

Ciao,

L

P.S. If your pressure cooker is reaching pressure in just a couple of minutes you're either using induction or butane gas - they run really hot and the rules for reaching pressure are different for those heat sources.

Edited by pazzaglia (log)

hip pressure cooking - making pressure cooking hip, one recipe at a time!

Thanks for working on the mystery! I received a photocopy of the manual for the Vitaquick UL (the US version of the Vitaquick) from Fissler. High operating pressure is listed as 60 kPa (8.7 PSI). Compare this to the UK Vitaquick manual which lists high operating pressure as 80 kPa (11.6 PSI). In other words, according to the manuals, the European Vitaquick is higher pressure than the US Vitaquick. And neither is 15 PSI.

Just to be different, as I mentioned above, the manual for the Vitavit Premium, which Fissler included with my Vitaquick, lists high pressure as 75 kPa (10.9 PSI).

My heat source is electric.

If your pressure cooker is reaching pressure in just a couple of minutes you're either using induction or butane gas - they run really hot and the rules for reaching pressure are different for those heat sources.

I did not realize that it should take 10 minutes, however. Is that true for all pressure cookers? Mine are WMF - two sizes, a large and a small.

Why are my results so different?

I used the second hand of my watch for timing while making oatmeal. The pot was the 8 liter Vitaquick, with the Fissler specified 300 ml water in the bottom, with the inset above that, and the oatmeal jar on top of the inset. From a cold stove and pot it took 3 minutes 10 seconds till the valve closed and pressure started to build. And a total of 3 minutes and 55 seconds (from cold) till the relief valve opened at full pressure (whatever that pressure may be).

I suppose I could have failed at counting up the revolutions of the second hand, so I agree, a real timer would be useful.

Thanks for working on the mystery! I received a photocopy of the manual for the Vitaquick UL (the US version of the Vitaquick) from Fissler. High operating pressure is listed as 60 kPa (8.7 PSI). Compare this to the UK Vitaquick manual which lists high operating pressure as 80 kPa (11.6 PSI). In other words, according to the manuals, the European Vitaquick is higher pressure than the US Vitaquick. And neither is 15 PSI.

Just to be different, as I mentioned above, the manual for the Vitavit Premium, which Fissler included with my Vitaquick, lists high pressure as 75 kPa (10.9 PSI).

Ok, I finally got a copy of the manual and I COMPLETELY understand your confusion. I e-mailed Germany and asked if there was a type-o in the manual (not outside the realm of possibility) because along with the manual I received confirmation that the lid for the U.S. Vitaquick was made to adhere to separate pressure criteria - just as the Blue Point lid. Well, the Blue Point lid (and valve) for the U.S. were designed to have an operating pressure of 15psi.

So, now I'm asking my contacts in Germany if the manual for the U.S. Vitaquick contains a type-o or whether it was deliberately spec'd to actually operate ad a lower pressure than the Euro version.

It may take some time to get clarification or confirmation, but I'm on it.

Ciao,

L

P.S. If you're game to do some experimenting while we're waiting to hear back from Germany....

Take two cups of (not dusty) chickpeas and soak them overnight. Then, tomorrow morning pressure cook half of the soaked chickpeas for 13 minutes at high pressure in four cups of water with natural release. If they are perfectly cooked (not crunchy but not too tender either -in other words edible) then the cooker operates at around 15 psi. If they are still crunchy and raw, set them aside and pressure cook the last half in four cups of water for 22 minutes with natural release - if they are perfectly done and not mush, then it is true that the cooker operates at a lower pressure.

In my manuscript for the upcoming hip pressure cooking cookbook - I wrote at the head of the legume chapter that I tell time by chickpeas... so if you ever get to see the actual book now you'll know I wasn't kidding!!!

When you're done you can make yourself hummus and pasta e ceci.

• Like 1

Thanks, Pazzaglia. Putting off pressure cooking legumes till I can place an order with Rancho Gordo, which will probably mean next paycheck in a couple weeks. I'm interested to try the chickpea experiment. I am fond of hummus!

Interestingly Steve of Rancho Gordo writes of pressure cooking chickpeas for 25 minutes with natural release. From the picture on his blog Steve is using the WMF Perfect Plus that according to Cook's Illustrated goes up to 247 deg F.

Ok, I finally got a copy of the manual and I COMPLETELY understand your confusion. I e-mailed Germany and asked if there was a type-o in the manual (not outside the realm of possibility) because along with the manual I received confirmation that the lid for the U.S. Vitaquick was made to adhere to separate pressure criteria - just as the Blue Point lid. Well, the Blue Point lid (and valve) for the U.S. were designed to have an operating pressure of 15psi.

So, now I'm asking my contacts in Germany if the manual for the U.S. Vitaquick contains a type-o or whether it was deliberately spec'd to actually operate ad a lower pressure than the Euro version.

It may take some time to get clarification or confirmation, but I'm on it.

Ciao,

L

OK, I got the official word from Germany.

The Fissler Vitaquick designed for the U.S. does reach a lower pressure than their European model- the manual is correct. The European Vitaquick operates at 80kpa (equivalent to 11.6 psi or about 243F) at the second ring and U.S. Vitaquick operates at 60kpa (equivalent to 8.7psi or about 237F) at the second ring - about because the equation that is used to calculate temperature from pressure does not give an absolute "correct" result but the temperatures are accurate within 3%.

Fissler also sent me a PDF of the U.S. Manual to share - so anyone who hasn't received the correct manual with their Vitaquick can download it from the Free Pressure Cooker Manual Library or contact Fissler USA if you want a paper version mailed to you.

This new information clarifies and confirms two things:

- The only way America's Test Kitchen could have gotten a U.S. Vitaquick to reach 250F is if they were measuring the temperature while the cooker was being pushed into over-pressure (in other words on heat that is too high for the cooker with the primary valve spewing tons of steam out as a safety precaution).

- The reason JoNorvelleWalker's Vitaquick reaches "high" pressure so quickly is because it is not actually reaching high pressure at all. Instead it is reaching the equivalent of "low pressure" (defined as 6-8psi) which most cookers only need an average of 5 minutes to reach.

I hope this clears things up for everyone here, as well.

Ciao,

L

P.S. That's 22 minutes of chickpea pressure cooking time for you Jo.

Right before I placed my order (Sept. 17) for the Fissler, I sent an email to Fissler's website, asking about the operating pressure. The response from <Receptionist@rolandinc.com> was:

"The Vitaquick operates at 9-11 PSI on the low setting and 13-15 PSI on the high setting. At normal altitude, it would be 11 and 15."

Hmm....

Monterey Bay area

Thanks, pazzaglia, again!

I am thoroughly disappointed. What was Fissler thinking? If 60 kPa is correct I wish I'd never bought the thing. Everything else about the Fissler I like. I still have a few days to return the Fissler. I'm undecided if I will.

Edit: what pressure cookers, if any, really do operate at 15 PSI?

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)

Right before I placed my order (Sept. 17) for the Fissler, I sent an email to Fissler's website, asking about the operating pressure. The response from <Receptionist@rolandinc.com> was:

"The Vitaquick operates at 9-11 PSI on the low setting and 13-15 PSI on the high setting. At normal altitude, it would be 11 and 15."

Hmm....

That's unfortunate that the receptionist sent you incorrect information. I got my info directly from the Fissler product manager in Idar-Oberstein Germany who double-checked with her colleagues in the laboratory before getting back to me.

what pressure cookers, if any, really do operate at 15 PSI?

Of the ones I have personally used all of the Kuhn Rikon (in this discussion there details about "where" 15psi is), stove-top Fagor and "Super-fast" Magefesa opearate at 14.5psi (they round that up form 15). I have read, but not seen for myself, that American pressure cookers (for example, Presto) actually operate at 15psi - but they do not make them with spring valves. WMF makes a cooker that is equally as fancy as Fissler and -so far- has not had any pieces fall off and fall apart for me (because I keep using the cookers after my reviews) and it operates at 14psi (rounded up from 13.8).

According to the manual, and my experience, the Fissler Blue Point made for the U.S. operates at 15psi. I don't know what happened in the meantime to make the new models designed for the U.S. so much weaker - obviously manufacturers cannot share their business strategy and decisions with everyone.

If you do decide to keep the Fissler, I write my recipes (on the website and in books) for 9-15psi cookers - not everyone does that nor do they have the experience of cooking with a lower pressure cooker (I learned to pressure cook on one if its any consolation - but it was a €30 Italian grocery store cooker). At least for my recipes, when you see a range of cooking time you'll want to use the longer time with your cooker.

Ciao,

L