• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pressure Cookers: 2011 and beyond

Chris Amirault

on further reflection, maybe they have not done PC on their shows for fear of some sort of liability. What else might it be? the units are cheap. they have made recommendations on models in their books: they recommend the Fagor in the 10 year Test Kitchen TV show cookbook. But PC does not appear in the index.

My guess would be that ATK hasn't featured pressure cookers on their shows simply because the producers, until recently, didn't think their target audience would be especially interested. Most Americans don't have pressure cookers, and many who have them don't use them. The popularity of "Modernist Cuisine," among other recent food/cooking trends, may have signaled to the ATK people that even though there are a number of good, reasonably-priced pressure-cooker cookbooks on the market, there was still room for one that would appeal particularly to those who like the ATK approach. The review of pressure cookers in ATK's sister enterprise, Cooks Illustrated, was probably timed to coordinate with the book's publication date.

they seem to add each additional year of the Test Kitchen TV series to their "Omnibus";

http://www.amazon.co...itchen cookbook

I have the one that goes through 2010. no way im buying one of these every year!

Insert Salty Language Here. CK love his bucks!

Interesting, I didn't realize they kept adding to that book. We got rid of all the prior books when the one through 2010 came out even though there's some things like an index compared to the season that is missing in the mega book. It's not possible using the book alone to figure out which dvd to watch to see them make the episode.

I agree CK loves his bucks. The amount of e-mail I get from them to sell books is pretty nuts. We used to get CI, but don't bother any more because they end up recycling the recipes in a book some day so it's a lot of extra stuff to look through. I do have a pair of books signed by CK when he came to a local B&N a few years ago, the crowd was totally not what I expected at the time so I expect his fan base may not be exactly the same as MC. Even if we don't see PC used in the show, a book on the shelf at BN could just be another way to get CK some bucks and perhaps his staff enjoys the challenge / change.

I agree re Rx Churn I only get the books and CI from time to time from the lib.

I cap all the shows on my computer.

the PC is in the Jan/Feb 13 CI. it has req. and I think I recall someone posted that maybe even in this thread some where. there is a side-bar near the end of the issue re PC and stock pot 'stock' that I found interesting. did not have time to see if the PC is used in that issue as that issue does not circulate (yet)

"" because they end up recycling the recipes in a 'many a' book some day ""

my addition bold italic

Edited by rotuts (log)

"" because they end up recycling the recipes in a 'many a' book some day ""

my addition bold italic

So true!

I have my pc dvr set up to record the shows, but it is nice to get the dvds basically for free once I pay them $30 for the book since it's easier to cook out of the book. Given the last few years 80% of what we cook has come from one of the books it's not too bad a trade off. I did tell my wife about the new PC book last night and she thinks it's one we'll actually pick up.

good for you! I cap the shows, and look at the books in the Lib.

maybe you dont have a library system that has them. so be it.

but .... 30 $$ gets a nice or several nice bottles of Wine for you consideration!

I just looked on the CI website to see how many pressure cooker recipes they have and was surprised to see 38 recipes listed. Then I saw that the slow cooker recipes were included in my search! They have 5 pressure cooker recipes. I did preorder the book because I generally like their recipes and love using the pressure cooker.

I checked the season 13 book, they have the review of pressure cookers which I believe is identical to the one in CI. The recipes in the chapter don't use a pressure cooker, it'll be interesting to see if they explain why they are reviewing the pressure cookers in the episode when it airs.

from time to time they review items they do not use in the show: they showed a SVSupeme I think once, and did not use it in an RX.

I can confirm this, I remember watching that episode before I knew about SV... Nova gets that blame since NathanM appeared on an episode of that about food.

CI season 13 begins this month.

I can't wait, I love their shows!

What station is broadcasting season 13?

You can also watch the current season online at http://www.americastestkitchen.com/ . The free access is delayed by a few weeks so S13 might not be up yet but if you pay, you can watch every episode aired up to S13E02.

PS: I am a guy.

your ref certainly looks a bit like a fagor, but i can't find one on their site just like it so perhaps its a clone?

Fagor was CI's best buy. i happen to have that best buy and it suits me for my purposes well.

your ref certainly looks a bit like a fagor, but i can't find one on their site just like it so perhaps its a clone?

Fagor was CI's best buy. i happen to have that best buy and it suits me for my purposes well.

Actually, this year's winner is the Fissler. My ref is to a different model but it is siginicantly less expensive than the Vitaquick.

http://www.cooksillustrated.com/equipment/results.asp?docid=41600

I just stumbled upon this http://www.cutleryan...-cooker-p125809.

It isn't the model that CI recommends but how bad could it be for $60???

It's worth a look.

Read the description on the page below the photo of the cooker, it only reaches 11.6 psi.

Ciao,

L

hip pressure cooking - making pressure cooking hip, one recipe at a time!

quote: "Read the description on the page below the photo of the cooker, it only reaches 11.6 psi."

Ah, yes. That would explain the discounted price.

Thanks for pointing that out.

I bought a 23qt Presto pressure canner from Amazon for the flexibility the size gives me. Its a jiggle top though.

My understanding from looking at a some of the pressure cooking stuff is that most of it can be cooked in a container inside a pressure cooker. I hope that's true. There might have to be some adjustments for moisture, like in the peanut sauce recipe.