• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Greatest Fork in the World

Chris Amirault

Ahhh... Well my question is still valid? :D What IS the longer indent for?

It serves no purpose. It began appearing on dinner forks and also salad forks in the 1950s in some patterns.

Conversely some patterns had a center that was shorter than the two outside.

My mother got a set of Reed & Barton's Autumn Leaves in 1957 and they had that shorter center space.

It just depended on the designer. Some were touted as "European" designs or "continental" designs which became confusing because continental also referred to the size of the flatware.

These were simply marketing ploys to get people who had been using the same flatware, sometimes for generations, to buy new.

This was still the post-war era when new families, who produced the "baby boomers" were moving into their own homes instead of living with parents, as had been common prior to the war.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 7 years later...

IMG_3825.jpg.ced6625122fab76215b33bad07227f9d.jpgIMG_3826.jpg.e3af95f55584a25cb8d2c86102ec9c98.jpg

I need to show you the greatest fork in the world for stirring large batches of mashed potatoes after adding the milk and butter. It's a beauty - solid and heavy. My mother used it for the same purpose.

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

I need to show you the greatest fork in the world for stirring large batches of mashed potatoes after adding the milk and butter. It's a beauty - solid and heavy. My mother used it for the same purpose.

Is it larger than standard dinner fork size?

9 hours ago, gfweb said:

@Kerry Beal Are those ancient Knights Templar symbols on the thing?  Was it found on Oak Island?

Yes - deep in one of the side tunnels - apparently the diver who went after it died just after handing it off to the people above when one of the traps collapsed on him!

• Haha 4

Speaking of interesting and useful forks, while digging in a box of odd and old kitchen gadgets - I've been selling groups on ebay - I came across this fork and remember someone giving it to me back in the '60s or '70s. 

I used it a great deal and then it was misplaced in one of my moves and I didn't see it for decades.

It was made specifically as a "pastry fork" for cutting fat into flour and mixing it.  The contours of the tines are unusual in that they are thick and sharp on the back side.   I wasn't thinking when I put it in the dishwasher - it's aluminum and has taken on the dark color from the detergent. I can polish that off with MAAS but not right now.

Made Italy

HPIM2602.jpg.c42d11b70e6e289c8bce4c67eaf3d03d.jpg

HPIM2603.jpg.3344fd1729fb5f0311bd2aa494af5ed6.jpg

HPIM2604.thumb.jpg.406241dcb3ea54f6d30091786fe2c01b.jpg

HPIM2605.jpg.a54f06b7402a9a3aa36dc84c5ec3136a.jpg

1789406655_HPIM2603(1).thumb.jpg.c8e164ceefdd39088749b844491b704b.jpg

• Like 6

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

On 12/30/2018 at 12:45 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

What is MAAS?

It's a metal polish that works great on aluminum.  I buy it in a bundle, several types.   MAAS polishes  

I've used it for many years on my vintage chrome appliances. There are many polishes and I have tried most of them and always go back tot his one.

It will also polish fine scratches out of PLEXIGLAS and I have used it on many sheets in picture frames. 

In my experience, it does the job with much less effort and at my age, I need all the help I can get!

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, boilsover said:

You favor the MAAS metal polish over Flitz?  If it's better, I'll buy some.

I like it better. I've been using it since I was at an antiques fair with a friend who was setting up for the opening next day.

I was wandering around and noticed that people doing last minute polishing on silver, brass, and other metals were using Maas instead of Semichrome and other "traditional" polishes.  

One guy told me he saw it on QVC and it was invented by a housewife and his wife insisted he order it because SHE was tired of having to polish the same items over and over and over. This slows or halts tarnishing.

It's been some years since I used Flitz but I didn't use all of it. I tossed out a bottle that was hard as a rock, more than half full.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, andiesenji said:

I like it better.

I'll give MAAS a try, thanks.  I noticed from your link that MAAS has a separate product to prolong the polish.  Have you also tried that?

My experience with many copper polishes is that the Flitz polish alone achieves such a microfine polish, it makes the metal very resistant to tarnish.  Not of much use for working pans, but the rarely-used pieces seem to stay bright a long time.

I took about half an hour today to find the MAAS and a rag, open a new tube and do a brief clean up on The Fork.

I didn't spend a lot of time working between the tines - and I can attest to the fact that those tines are SHARP as I now have perforation on the outside edge of my left hand. not bad but it penetrated easily.

It looks quite different and certainly in usable condition.  I just have to remember NOT to put it in the dishwasher!

HPIM2647.thumb.jpg.c4f1eeabc900b11d50612d5093a7826a.jpg

HPIM2648.thumb.jpg.9be110a79ffcdb3a108a54775da7893d.jpg

HPIM2649.thumb.jpg.7e710266c02fa609e362bf5ee1b94862.jpg

• Like 5

As a small boy i often wondered why our cutlery (forks as well) had logos on them such as 'Mascot Cafe', 'Property of Selby District Council' and so on.It was years later when down my grandad's yard where he prepared food for his pigs that the food came from Cafe's, Hotels and Government Institutions that the answer came to me, but thought nothing of it.

By 1960 I was in Germany as a soldier and found you could get a modern12 setting of cutlery with even a cake fork (who had ever heard of a cake fork?) at a modest price, so i took a box home.

My dad said much later "do you remember when you came home on leave and tipped the cutlery tray contents  into  the bin, and put in your new stuff?"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.