• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookbook on cooking with grains

ElsieD

I'm becoming more and more interested in cooking with grains. Right now I use chia, millet, buckwheat and quinoa but am interested in trying others. Does anyone know of a comprehensive book that goes into detail about the different grains available and also has some recipes to give me some idea as to how to cook them? Thank you.

One of my favorites, my "go-to" grains cookbook is The Versatile Grain and the Elegant Bean: A Celebration of the World's Most Healthful Foods by Sheryl and Mel London.

My copy is dog-eared, spotted and splotched with various food stains and there are Post-It stickers on all three sides of the book with little notes.

You can find it at ABE books at a very reasonable price.

I also have The New Whole Grain Cookbook and Splendid Grain, which I thought was out of print but is now apparently available in paperback.

I got the New Whole Grain one when it was first published because I had become interested in Farro and the few recipes I could find were not all that interesting.

The Splendid Grain has been indexed on Eat Your Books so you can see the list of recipes it contains.

On Amazon you can look inside the New Whole Grain book.

Via this site you can get it for less at Amazon

I also have Bob's Red Mill cookbook whole & healthy grains on my Kindle. I haven't had it for long and have only prepared one recipe for a Quinoa/orange/pecan dish. At least that is all I recall offhand.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Green on grains by Bert Greene taught me a lot about cooking different grains, and I always make my quinoa by his technique. It got pushed off the shelf because his recipes, though always delicious, tended to be very rich and heavy, and once I had a good handle on what I was doing with the different grains, I preferred to use them in lighter recipes. It remains an excellent introduction, however, if you want to know what to do with the quinoa or teff you've just brought home.

I still keep the Versatile grain and the elegant bean on my shelf. It's outlasted a couple of others that wore out their welcomes.

• 8 months later...
  • 9 years later...

Can't believe ten years have passed since I was here looking for a cookbook for beans and grains.  Just today I made Priest's Soup from The Versatile Grain and the Elegant Bean cookbook.  The soup's main ingredient is brown lentils.  I added Mexican seasonings, diced celery and carrots, and a handful of leftover ham bits, but otherwise stuck to the recipe.  Very tasty.  Neither my husband nor I am pleased with some of our medical numbers from recent check-ups, so...out came the grain/bean recipes.  I plan to try more lentil recipes as well as become acquainted with grains and beans I have never tried.  Any suggestions for basic recipes?  I already use a variety of beans, and we often have brown rice or barley.  I add oats to anything I can think of.  I love the above cookbook and have used it several times, but it generally is far from basic.  Found a container of buckwheat flour in the freezer.  Uses other than pancakes?  lkm

Edited by lmarshal1
additional question to add (log)

20 minutes ago, lmarshal1 said:

Found a container of buckwheat flour in the freezer.  Uses other than pancakes?  lkm

I posted this over in the 2021 Cookbooks thread so I'll just copy it in here in case you want to follow that link to her cookie recipe and try making buckwheat chocolate chip cookies. 

On 4/21/2021 at 7:39 AM, blue_dolphin said:

My copy of Los Angeles baker Roxana Jullapat's book Mother Grains (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) arrived and looks good.  It's divided into chapters for barley, buckwheat, corn, oats, rice, rye, sorghum and wheat with an intro to the grain and its products used in baking followed by an assortment of both sweet and savory recipes using that grain. The chocolate chip cookie recipe from the book, including modifications for using each of the mother grains is available online here.  I'm looking forward to learning from the book. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1