• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Kosher Salt Throwdown!

MarkIsCooking

I noticed the thread Fat Guy started about the salt manifesto in the Penzey catalog and a light bulb went off.

We need something else to debate here at eGullet: What is THE best brand of kosher salt?

The culinary school I attended was strictly a Diamond customer.

I have a few friends who say that Morton is the way to go.

At the risk of starting a whole other Penzey tangent, I have bought their Kosher Style Flake Salt and liked it.

For those of you with those rarified palates, help out the rest of us. What is THE best kosher salt we should all be using (of course, save those unfortunate souls with high blood pressure who won't be interested in this thread at all).

---------------------------------------------------------

"If you don't want to use butter, add cream."

Julia Child

I use Morton's kosher salt exclusively for cooking... With Diamond Crystal, I assume this is attributed to the smaller flakes, but I have to keep adding and adding and adding to get my food seasoned. So for me it's Morton's for cooking... but as a finishing salt, I prefer Diamond Crystal.

Morton's has a chemical anticaking agent which I think affects the taste, so I don't use it. Diamond Crystal only for me!

My climate is so humid, even Morton's clumps. Since moving to Asia, I've used local sea salts whenever I can find them. I particularly liked the product available in Japan.

How does "Kosher" salt differ from table salt?

At least in North America table salt contains iodine whereas kosher salt contains no additives.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I've been freaking out all week because the one store in town that used to have Diamond Crystal seems to have stopped carrying it. My #1 weekend project is now to drive around to the various grocery chains and stockpile what I find. I hereby solicit donations for any of your unused/unwanted stashes of DC :wink: - I'm on edge here, people!

Morton's has a chemical anticaking agent which I think affects the taste, so I don't use it. Diamond Crystal only for me!

My climate is so humid, even Morton's clumps.

This may be why they don't sell DC where I am. In Alabama, the humidity is over 90% for most of the year.

At least in North America table salt contains iodine whereas kosher salt contains no additives.

They also differ in texture. Table salt has a beach sand consistancy while kosher is made up of tiny flakes which are easier to control with the fingers. With Diamond having a different texture than Morton, I have a hypothesis that some perceived differences could be down to famaliarity or comfort with a given texture, rather than pure taste. Being familiar with Morton, I suspect I might tend to over season if I were to use Diamond.

And just for some objective measurements, I just weighed a tablespoon of Morton's Kosher and Morton's Iodized table salt, and the kosher was 16 grams, while the table salt was 18. I had expected a larger difference.

I live in the about southest part of South Florida, bar the Keys, and in three seasons our humidity hovers at about 90%. I use DC salt to cook and at the table. It keeps beautifully in a covered dish by the stove and a large holed shaker with a 'flick lid' on the table. If the salt clumps in the shaker, a clunk on the table restores it to shakeabilty in no time. The salt clumps in my glass covered bowl crumble when pinched up to sprinkle. Publix carries it, and I won't change to Morton.

• Like 1

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Texture, weight and additives are what make Diamond Crystal and Morton's different.

I use strictly Diamond Crystal for all my salting needs except finishing (though it's perfectly fine on a focaccia) - I suppose it's what I remember growing up with.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I've been freaking out all week because the one store in town that used to have Diamond Crystal seems to have stopped carrying it. My #1 weekend project is now to drive around to the various grocery chains and stockpile what I find. I hereby solicit donations for any of your unused/unwanted stashes of DC :wink: - I'm on edge here, people!

I think that Penzeys stocks DC and there is one in LA. If I am not mistaken Smart & Final is DC versus Mortons. Worth a look.

I think that Penzeys stocks DC and there is one in LA. If I am not mistaken Smart & Final is DC versus Mortons. Worth a look.

Smart & Final was my store! They switched to the dark (blue) side.

Kosher salt is courser because it's used to 'kasher' meat -- draw the blood out of raw meat. Courser, larger crystals work better.

I use Diamond or David's.