• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pasta serving sizes

Fat Guy

I measure out as much as will fill about half the dishes I'll be serving. Usually, I'm cooking for two, so I measure out what looks like one generous serving. If the pasta is fresh, I generally measure out what would be the actual, needed number of servings, but make them skimpy, to allow for the water that will be absorbed.

Edited by Mjx (log)

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Nakji, what's the size of a package where you are? Pound, half kilo, something else?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

A standard Italian rule of thumb is 80-100 grams per person of dried pasta. 80 seems to be the amount of pasta one might have if the pasta is followed by a protein. But my family never makes any more than 80 per person regardless of what does or does not come after. I think it's a decent portion.

Having said that, I make no less than 250 grams for my Stepson and sometimes up to 400 for him. Depends on your appetite!

I usually cook a whole box 12 to 16oz for 2 people, then eat any leftovers for breakfast/lunch

the Ravioli that I am making tonight say that each package is 3.5 servings, I will make 2 packages for 2 ppl with sausage meat in tomato sauce.

We are pigs

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

80gish dry pasta per serving in our household.

I generally make the whole bag (500g), depending on how it was sauced

and whether we are having a protein course we are left with 4-5 portions

for lunches, or whatever (there are 2 of us).

Jon

--formerly known as 6ppc--

I weigh out 2 oz per person. If it's being served with chunks of meat sausage, meatballs, or lots of "stuff", then it's 6oz for 4 servings. Took some getting used to after many years of having no idea what a reasonable portion of pasta looked like.

(I'll confess, though, that sometimes when it's just me, I cook 8 oz of pasta, toss it with olive oil and an obscene amount of garlic and a whole can of roasted chickpeas, and eat it directly from a serving bowl.)

"Nothing you could cook will ever be as good as the $2.99 all-you-can-eat pizza buffet." - my EX (wonder why he's an ex?)

My eGfoodblog: My corner of the Midwest

When I'm cooking pasta just for myself, I'll use half a pound and split the finished dish into thirds, two of which become lunch later in the week. My math skills work this out to a bit less than 80g of dry pasta per serving.

Usually its just for me, and usually between 1/4 and 1/3 pound (one pound is the size package I typically buy) for a dinner.

It skews to the lower end for heavier sauces, or if there's a side or a large salad involved. Higher, obviously, for lighter sauces and less side dish bulk. When I was working, and wanted leftovers for lunch, I'd cook 1/2 a pound routinely.

Edited by Pierogi (log)

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Most pasta comes in half-kilo packages, and the two of us almost always demolish half a package for one of our spartan evenings at home (pasta with some sort of cheeseless vegetable sauce, or maybe tuna, or puttanesca) followed by a salad. For dinner parties I can feed five with a half kilo, but I rarely get change from the same half kilo with four at the table. I'll push it to six per package if we have a humongous secondo, like a major fireplace pork grill (the annual "maialata").

The Italian rule of thumb is 100 grams per serving, and more like 80 g for something rich like cacio e pepe (though not in our house, where 80 g per person, however it's dressed, would be met by derision and protest). Italian recipes think you can get six servings out of a half kilo, which you can only if one of your guests is one of those annoying birdlike eaters who practically counts out four rigatoni. If your condiment is something voluminous like cauliflower or broccolo romanesco, which is usually served with penne or rigatoni, you can get away with less pasta, and in fact those are good to remember if you're trying to trick yourself into eating less pasta. I always make the same half package anyway, but may have leftovers, which is fine -- and rare. You might think our dining table was on an incline and everything not nailed down winds up at the other end. I'm not mentioning any names, but the battle cry is "No prisoners!"

Some time ago I starting weighing out the pasta in preference to eyeballing the amounts, and I must say it makes life easier.

Maureen B. Fant
www.maureenbfant.com

www.elifanttours.com

I like my carbs so for me it's usually half a pack. I always serve up 1/2 -2/3rds of it, thinking it's too much, and then end up coming back for seconds.

I sometimes use a bit over half a packet, leaving myself with a dilemma for next time!

I love animals.

They are delicious.

I sometimes use a bit over half a packet, leaving myself with a dilemma for next time!

Yes, if you stick you carefully weighed out halves and quarters, you don't wind up with a collection of odds and ends. Also from that point of view it helps to stick to the same shape and brand. Every so often I take all the odd bits and combine them in a pasta al forno, then start over.

Maureen B. Fant
www.maureenbfant.com

www.elifanttours.com

I cook 100g of dried pasta per person but serve less than this. The remainder is for second servings or subsequent recycling as a follow up meal (typically reheating quickly in a frypan).

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

I second Maureen's take on this.

When we had the restaurant in Italy, 100g was the portion size.

For spaghetti noodles, I figure on one handful per person, and the handful is the diameter of a quarter.

I've also been known to bellow: "Small, medium, or large?" to the assembled diners and then take my cue from there.

And eventually we have a dinner with odd sized noodles.

• Similar Content

• By daniel123456789876543
      I have been making pancetta for the first time. I have experience with the curing process doing things like bacon and cold smoked salmon in the past but this is the first time I have ever hanged anything.

After a week of curing it has had 11 days  hanging so far (I was planning on taking it to 28 days hanging) Although I foolishly forgot to weigh it. 
      It smells really good like some awesome salami and the outer rim of the pancetta looks lovely and rich and dark.
      It was a recipe by Kuhlman in one of their charcuterie books.
      But when I inspected it today it had the mould growing on it as in the pics below. I have since scrubbed the mould off with white wine vinegar and returned it to the cellar. Is it wise to continue?

Daniel

• By shain
      Makes 40 cookies, 2 loaves. 

50-60 g very aromatic olive oil
      80 g honey 
      120 to 150 g sugar (I use 120 because I like it only gently sweet) 
      2 eggs
      2 teaspoons of fine lemon zest, from apx 1 lemon 
      230 g flour 
      1 teaspoon salt 
      1 teaspoon baking powder 
      75 g lightly toasted peeled pistachios
      50 g lightly toasted almonds (you can replace some with pine nuts) 
      Optional: a little rosemary or anise seed
      Optional: more olive oil for brushing

Heat oven to 170 deg C.
      In mixer (or by hand), mix oil, honey, sugar, lemon, egg and if desired, the optional spices - until uniform. 
      Separately mix together the flour, salt and baking powder. 
      Add flour mixture to mixer bowel with liquids and fold until uniform. Dough will be sticky and quite stiff. Don't knead or over mix. 
      Add nuts and fold until well dispersed. 
      On a parchment lined baking tray, create two even loaves of dough. 
      With moist hands, shape each to be rectangular and somewhat flat - apx 2cm heigh, 6cm wide and 25cm long. 
      Bake 25 to 30 minutes until golden and baked throughout, yet somewhat soft and sliceable. Rotate pan if needed for even baking. 
      Remove from tray and let chill slightly or completely. 
      Using a sharp serrated knife, gently slice to thin 1/2 cm thick cookies. Each loaf should yield 20 slices. 
      Lay slices on tray and bake for 10 minutes. Flip and bake for another 10-15 minutes until complelty dry and lightly golden. 
      Brush with extra olive oil, if desired. This will and more olive flavor. 
      Let chill completely before removing from tray. 
      Cookies keep well in a closed container and are best served with desert wines or herbal tea. 

• By psantucc
      My own recipe, though influenced by many sources.
      Santucci's Practical Torrone (Christmas Nougat)
      180g honey (½ cup)
      100g egg whites (2 eggs)
      350g sugar (1 ½ cups)
      50g water (2 tablespoons)
      450g (1 pound) roasted nuts
      5-10 drops orange oil
      2 sheets (8 ½” x 11”) Ostia (aka wafer, edible paper)
      Combine honey, water, and sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to the boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Skim foam (if any is seen) off the honey when it reaches the boil.
      In a stand mixer, whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
      Cook the honey mixture to 280° F (137° C). Remove from the heat. With the mixer on high speed, slowly pour the mixture into the egg whites. Continue to whisk until volume has increased by about half and the mixture just starts to lose gloss – only about 5 minutes.
      Reduce the mixer speed and add the orange oil and nuts. When they are thoroughly mixed in, spread the resulting nougat over a sheet of Ostia. Try to cover the sheet as evenly as possible- the nougat is sticky and will make things difficult. When it is evenly covered, top with the other sheet of Ostia.
      Leave to cool and crystallize completely in the open air before cutting, preferably overnight.
      Note: I call this 'practical' Torrone because the recipe is made for home confectioners of reasonable skill to be able to easily understand what and how much to buy and what to do with it. The ingredient portions are biased for my country, the USA, but I saw no point in using English ounces for the weight-based version – those of us who prefer weight generally prefer it in grams.
      Tips and tricks:
      1.Keep nuts in a warm oven ( about 150° F / 65° C ) until you add them. Adding room temperature or colder nuts will reduce working time.
      2.Getting the nougat spread between sheets of Ostia is the trickiest part of the process. I use buttered caramel rulers on the outside edges of the bottom sheet, pour and press nougat in place, and then press the top layer on with an offset spatula. If you don't have caramel rulers, try spreading the nougat with an offset spatula, topping with the other sheet, and rolling with a pin to smooth. I advise against trying to cast the slab in any kind of fixed side pan, as the stickiness will make it very difficult to remove.
      3.Score the top layer of Ostia before cutting through. Once scored, a straight down cut with a Chef's knife works well. Cut into six 8 1/2” long bars and wrap in parchment or waxed paper to store, then cut into smaller rectangles to serve.
      4.There are many possible alternate flavorings. 1-10 Lemon oil or 1 t. (5 ml) vanilla or almond extract work well and are traditional flavors. Candied orange peel and/or orange zest can also be added.
      5.I use half pistachio and half almonds as the nuts. Hazelnuts (filberts) are also traditional. Any common nut should work.
      6.Ostia is available from confectionery suppliers. I get 8-1/2” x 11” sheets from www.sugarcraft.com under the name 'wafer paper'.
      This recipe is copyright 2009 by Patrick J. Santucci. Contact the author on eGullet under the username psantucc.
    • By Paul Bacino
      1 C Northern Beans soaked over-night in
      4-6C Water or Chxn Stock
      1/2 t Cayenne Pepper
      1//2 t Granulated garlic
      1 twig Dried oregano-- dried from last yr
      2 Bay
      pinch of salt ( yes ) and few pepper corns
      in the Morning; All into the Slow Cooker for 5 hrs. ( Crock Pot )
      I removed half the liquor and added chicken stock here back in . to this I added diced cooked Italian sausage about 1 whole .. simmer in a pot.. I transferred to... then add 1/2 head of shopped chicory ( curly endive ) finish cooking 15 mins
      cheers
      Most measurements again are from feel