• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pasta serving sizes

Fat Guy

Incidentally if you look on a package of dry pasta with a US "nutrition facts" label the serving size is 2 ounces.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Some time ago I starting weighing out the pasta in preference to eyeballing the amounts, and I must say it makes life easier.

I'm a total weight convert. I weigh it every single time. It saves the "Oh, it's too much!" arguments. I also don't think all pasta dishes are good as leftovers!

Incidentally if you look on a package of dry pasta with a US "nutrition facts" label the serving size is 2 ounces.

That's for a side dish or first course. I usually do 4 oz per person for a main dish.

Edited by merstar (log)
There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

I actually don't recall ever cutting a pack in half, even before kids. I cook it all, toss it with sauce, what's left over is tasty the next day or so, lunch, other dinner. Or fried up with some eggs tossed in. Now, with the kids, 3 and 7, a pack of pasta tends to leave just enough left over for a little school lunch for the boy. Or nothing at all.

I gave up on cooking half a pack since I tend to forget about that half pack and then cook an other half one and end up with all these who knows when we opened that package things in the back of the cupboard :cool:

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

150 grams of pasta for the 2 of us. We always eat pasta as a main dish (no appetizer or dessert) with sauce and lots of vegetables and maybe a salad on the side. '

I buy pasta in 500 gram bags which means that after 3 dinners from 1 bag, I'm left with 50 grams of pasta. This usually gets tossed into soup at some point.