• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wax Paper

nakji

I still wrap sanswiches in it a few times per week. Great too for when I have to peel a ton of anything, for collecting the scraps, or if I'm using my kitchen for potting work, to gather the dirt and protect the counter. Funnels, occasionally, when I can'd find a clean-looking scrap of used paper. Eta: I wrap candy - caramel, sometimes chocolates - too, though that doesn't come up so often.

Edited by MellaMella (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Another one remembered from this morning's baking session:  I always put wax paper beneath racks of cookies if I'm going to frost or glaze them.  The paper catches drips and make cleanup easy.  Not only that, but when I run out of glaze with a few cookies left to go (as happened this morning) there's usually enough accumulated on the wax paper below to finish the batch.

This made me remember that when frosting a cake, I put wax paper on the cake plate first.  Pull it away when I'm done and voila, a clean plate.  Professionals surely have better finesse or tricks for these things but wax paper works for me.

• Like 2