• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wax Paper

nakji

For the people that line baking pans with this- doesn't the wax melt into your cake? There is wax, right?

karl

No, nothing adverse happens to the baked goods. I'm not sure if, in fact, "wax paper" is really "WAXED paper" these days, or if its been new and improved and modernized the way everything else has been.

But used for lining, I guess there's sufficient insulation from both the batter and the pan that the wax paper stays intact, for want of a better word.

However, you can't use it to line cookie sheets, since it will not tolerate direct exposure to heat. Only when there's a batter or dough covering it can you put it in the oven.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

"Ironing crayon shavings between two layers of wax paper." Just curious, why do you do this?

karl

This is a children's craft project; resembles stained glass.

This is hilarious. I couldn't for the life of me figure out what I would do with that. Obviously I'm not very crafty.

For the people that line baking pans with this- doesn't the wax melt into your cake? There is wax, right?

karl

No, nothing adverse happens to the baked goods. I'm not sure if, in fact, "wax paper" is really "WAXED paper" these days, or if its been new and improved and modernized the way everything else has been.

But used for lining, I guess there's sufficient insulation from both the batter and the pan that the wax paper stays intact, for want of a better word.

However, you can't use it to line cookie sheets, since it will not tolerate direct exposure to heat. Only when there's a batter or dough covering it can you put it in the oven.

I don't do much baking but this is handy to know, thanks.

"Ironing crayon shavings between two layers of wax paper." Just curious, why do you do this?

karl

This is a children's craft project; resembles stained glass.

This is hilarious. I couldn't for the life of me figure out what I would do with that. Obviously I'm not very crafty.

Or have small children to entertain.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Ohhhhh, just thought of one other thing I use wax paper for....

Lining a sheet or pie pan for doling out tablespoons of tomato paste or similar stuff to freeze for extended storage. You just plop the tomato paste onto the wax paper, toss in the freezer for a couple of hours, then peel them off and throw them into a zip bag. Seal and you've always got a tablespoon of tomato paste (or whipped cream or whatever) when you need it. Toss the wax paper, and your sheet pan goes back into the cupboard.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

All right - so you have convinced me to make use of my waxed paper! Some excellent ideas here. Thank you.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Ohhhhh, just thought of one other thing I use wax paper for....

Lining a sheet or pie pan for doling out tablespoons of tomato paste or similar stuff to freeze for extended storage. You just plop the tomato paste onto the wax paper, toss in the freezer for a couple of hours, then peel them off and throw them into a zip bag. Seal and you've always got a tablespoon of tomato paste (or whipped cream or whatever) when you need it. Toss the wax paper, and your sheet pan goes back into the cupboard.

I do this, too -- but leave them on the paper, roll or fold it up and vacuum seal it.

Okay, please tell me I'm not the only person who butters a baking dish with my fingers.

You're not. We used to use waxed paper to spread shortening on the baking dishes, but now I do not keep shortening in my kitchen any more, and I use clean fingers to spread softened butter instead.

I still use waxed paper for rolls of icebox cookie dough, and layering between baked goods that I want to freeze without sticking to each other (e.g., glazed or sugared rolls), and waxed paper bags for bringing things to work to microwave for my lunch. You can get waxed paper bags more easily now in health food stores than in regular supermarkets.

I do use waxed paper for many of the tasks listed.

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned ironing. While I don't do ironing myself, the woman who does mine uses waxed paper to "make suave" the linens.

That is, she runs the iron over the waxed paper and then irons the tablecloths, napkins, and other things that need to be ironed.

I have very few clothing items that require ironing but she may use it on them when I am not around to see.

(She speaks English fairly well but she mixes in some Spanish words from time to time. My Spanish is pretty anemic so we communicate with these mixed idioms.)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 3 years later...

And what is it good for??  

It seems so old fashioned, I'm surprised they still sell it.  Between parchment, foil and cling wrap, I don't see a need for it.  But wax paper (or is it waxed??) is economical compared to the others....are there good uses for it in the kitchen these days?

I still buy it. Much cheaper than parchment paper, or even foil. And perhaps there are "other things that can do the same job as well or better," but I don't have enough silpats to completely cover all my kitchen countertops, which is what I need to do when I'm turning out my caramel corn, or Creamy Southern Pecan Pralines.

I think it's probably pretty-much like everything else - seems silly and unnecessary.

Unless you need it.

Which I do.

• Like 2

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I still buy it. Much cheaper than parchment paper, or even foil. And perhaps there are "other things that can do the same job as well or better," but I don't have enough silpats to completely cover all my kitchen countertops, which is what I need to do when I'm turning out my caramel corn, or Creamy Southern Pecan Pralines.

I think it's probably pretty-much like everything else - seems silly and unnecessary.

Unless you need it.

Which I do.

But won't hot stuff (like your candy) melt the wax in the wax paper??  

I use it quite a bit. I roll cookie dough in between two layers of wax paper. I use parchment only to line baking sheets. If I'm sifting anything I usually sift it onto a sheet of wax paper, I find it very convenient. I don't use it as a replacement for foil or cling wrap, I use it for different things entirely.

• Like 1

But won't hot stuff (like your candy) melt the wax in the wax paper??

I suppose it seems like it should but it never has and I've been doing this for over 50 years. Started making my grandma's praline recipe when I was a kid. Wax paper is what she used so that's what I learned to use. If it does melt the wax, it's not in a way so's you notice.

And many, many people use wax paper to line baking pans before filling them with cake batter and sticking them into hot ovens to bake, often for an hour or more.

I'm not a scientist so I don't understand how it works but I know it surely does.

And two more ways I frequently use wax paper are when pounding out chicken breasts; and crumbling up a wad of it to use when spreading butter into a cake pan. It doesn't absorb the butter/grease/fat/etc. like paper towels do. I do save the butter wrappers for that purpose, but sometimes don't have one.

Also, I often buy ground meat - beef, pork, turkey - in bulk because it's cheaper, and then separate it into smaller portions, patties, and put wax paper between them before putting them into the freezer.

These are just a few things off of the top of my head. I'm sure there are more.

But the bottom line is that I use a lot of it and always have a roll handy in my kitchen.

Edited by Jaymes (log)
  • Like 4

I use it all the time - I love wax paper. 

For keeping pieces of reggiano or pecorino for long periods of time, Marcella Hazan recommends that you wrap the cheese first in wax paper, then in foil. I wrap in fresh pieces of wax paper and foil after each use. This has kept them for years in my fridge.

If they do dry out too much, you can wrap a damp piece of cheesecloth in with the cheese, then wax paper then foil, and leave it for 2 days. The cheese will come back to life (discard the cheesecloth).

Great for wrapping sandwiches too. Just nicer in every way than plastic wrap.

• Like 4

People who give out homemade popcorn balls for Halloween. All three of them. Next question...

:laugh:

I LOVED those people when I was a kid.

Sadly, you can't do that anymore.  Parents throw them away.  Might be razor blades in them.  Sigh.

Folks do still make and give out homemade treats but, the way it works now, people have one big bowl of commercially-produced individually-wrapped candy that they give to the tricker-treaters they do not know, and a separate bowl of homemade treats for children of family and friends.

Including, of course, wax-paper-wrapped popcorn balls.

Edited by Jaymes (log)
  • Like 1

I keep a roll from the dollar store (50 squ ft) in the cupboard. I use it almost daily and not as a sub for the other types of rolled items. So cheap.Tear off a piece, put garlic cloves down, fold over, mash with large pestle. Same with a small quantity of nuts. Put items like tamales inside, twist ends, and nuke - mini steamer. top with paper towels and nuke some bacon - no mess. Those are my most frequent uses. 

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 2

I also use waxed paper to separate rows of cookies and bars, particularly breakfast bars.  Use it to line small paper boxes in which I pack toffee and other things for giveaways.

• Like 5

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.