• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wax Paper

nakji

We have a topic about using wax paper vs. parchment paper here, but no discussion of wax paper itself.

I like to use it to wrap up herbs or ginger when I can't be bothered to wrestle with my plastic wrap roll. It's also nice to separate layers of cookies or baked goods when freezing.

There's also something wonderful about wrapping a sandwich in it - the crinkling sound of the paper when you unwrap it is very satisfying.

Any other favourite uses?

When my husband and I first got together, he found it very odd that I required a roll of wax paper in the cupboard. Then he saw how much use it got in the kitchen, and recognized its usefulness. I have been known to occasionally exclaim things like, "Thank God for this roll of wax paper", and "Where would I be without wax paper?", to further emphasize this point.

I've taken to using it in place of plastic wrap when reheating meals, because I fear the leached chemicals from microwaved plastic. I use it to line plates when prepping meats, so that I don't have to rinse the plate or use a second plate on which to rest the cooked meat. I pound out chicken cutlets in between sheets of wax paper, and arrange layers of cookie dough balls on wax papered plates when prepping them for baking. More recently, I bunched up small sheets of wax paper and stuffed them into the tops of my cookie gift boxes to prevent the cookies from shifting around during shipment. The stuff is so dirt cheap that I don't feel guilty about wasting it, as I do with parchment paper.

When my kid was a toddler in day care for a while, the staff suggested parents use the wax paper sandwich bags to put their sandwiches in (rather than the ziplock sandwich bags or the plastic box thing); they were great. I haven't seen them for sale in years so perhaps not everyone is a fan. But I use wax paper the same way the others do: for quick clean up of just about everything I'm doing in the kitchen.

My mother, father, and grandmother all (probably like many of you) saved the paper that wraps the sticks of butter. They saved these to use for greasing pans. But when they had none, they all used a little wad of crumpled up wax paper, which is basically the same thing.

As they explained to me, wax paper absorbs none of the fat/grease from the butter. So it's a much better choice than, say, paper towels. And it takes a lot less butter to get the pan greased, since the paper towel isn't absorbing half of it.

Of course, like others, we use a lot of wax paper to drop out cookies and candies onto, flatten chicken breasts, steaks, chops, lay steaks onto to to be seasoned before cooking, etc.

The other thing I do routinely is to line the bottom of a baking pan with it when I'm making cakes, brownies, etc. I do grease and dust the pan, but I find that with anything that I want to be particularly smooth, or look particularly good, it works better with wax paper. And it certainly comes out of the baking pan more easily. I never bake a pound cake without a little sheet of wax paper on the bottom of the loaf pan.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I do many of the above things.

On the rare occasion of making a frosted layer cake, I put 2"-wide or so strips under the bottom layer before starting. Pull them out when the decorating is finished for a perfectly clean platter!

I use it when I want to pound the heck out of spices, etc and want minimum clean up. We make a litle packet, put pepper, garlic, salt inside whatever, fold it up and smash it. No little bits all over the place, no wash up and the paper to the trash.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

After a fishing trip, when all the uneaten fillets get frozen I would use wax paper between them and freeze the lot in a big plastic bag. They're real easy to separate whilst frozen.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I do many of the above things.

On the rare occasion of making a frosted layer cake, I put 2"-wide or so strips under the bottom layer before starting. Pull them out when the decorating is finished for a perfectly clean platter!

Smart. Very, very smart.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I don't think I've bought wax paper in twenty years. What I used it for religiously was mushroom hunting, to line the basket and to store the shrooms in the frig. I no longer forage for mushrooms. Now I always have parchment paper on hand.

Okay, please tell me I'm not the only person who butters a baking dish with my fingers.

I do many of the above with the general purpose of ease of clean up. I grate ginger on it and pound nuts and spices frequently. It does not tear as easily as plastic wrap and is stiff enough that you can crease it and easily pour off the items. I also like it in the microwave. I had not ever purchased it until a few years ago when I accidentally picked some up thinking it was parchment paper and then started finding uses for it.

I don't think I've bought wax paper in twenty years. What I used it for religiously was mushroom hunting, to line the basket and to store the shrooms in the frig. I no longer forage for mushrooms. Now I always have parchment paper on hand.

Okay, please tell me I'm not the only person who butters a baking dish with my fingers.

Well, parchment paper works, of course, but wax paper is much, much cheaper.

And as for buttering the pan with your fingers, I do that sometimes. But especially when my nails are long, find I can't get the butter into the corners very well. And truth to tell, I don't really like that greasy feeling all that much.

Strange. Since discovering parchment paper I cannot remember the last time I used waxed paper though I certainly have a roll of it in the kitchen.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I am a lifelong devotee of wax paper. It sits side-by-side with the parchment paper, and I would say I go for the wax paper for most uses, including ALL of the ones mentioned above (favorites are separating layers, strips for frosting cakes,lining pans, wrapping hard cheese). I also make little cones out of it for simple chocolate decorations (like dots on a lemon curd tart)and use it always under racks when glazing or soaking cakes or for anything else likely to drip. You can wax leaves by ironing them between wax paper, too. One thing I like about wax paper is that it so easy to score with a knife or scissors to get it to the shape you want, and it lies relatively flat compared to parchment (the rolls anyway, the sheets are pricey). A great American product.

Oh, wax paper, wax paper how do I love thee?? Let me count the ways....

Buttering casseroles/cake pans/baking dishes - check

Separating things for the freezer - check

Wrapping cheese - check

Lining cake/loaf pans - check

Tossing under a box grater - check

Keeping a cake plate clean while frosting - check

Staging formed cookies/biscuits/rolls before baking - check

My kitchen is never without my box of Cut-Rite (now owned by Reynolds of course, but still good stuff).

Parchment is only used to line sheet pans or form bread/pizza on. Everything else, wax paper handles better, and cheaper. Unfortunately it won't stand up to oven heat, or I'd never buy parchment.

Edit - Because, at least in English *without* is one word. At least in this context.

Edited by Pierogi (log)

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

For the people that line baking pans with this- doesn't the wax melt into your cake? There is wax, right?

"Ironing crayon shavings between two layers of wax paper." Just curious, why do you do this?

karl

Maybe it lets the cheese "breathe" somewhat?

Yes, that it does, and that's why I use it. Good cheese shops that cut to order usually use butcher paper that's coated on one side, rarely plastic, and people who know cheese often recommend wax paper to store cheese that was purchased in plastic.

It also works well for bacon and some cured meats.