• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Will You NEVER Eat Again?

weinoo

Chitlins. Turnip greens or their more rural cousin, "poke sallet." Calves liver (I will eat chicken liver in a pate, but that's about it). Raccoon, bear, beaver and possum (greasy, gamy, nasty tasting).

And -- sigh -- lamb shanks. I've TRIED to like lamb shanks, braised them in all sorts of preparations that others raved about. Just not crazy about lamb, and particularly not shanks.

I don't really care for lamb, either. Lord knows I've tried...and I'll eat a couple of bites, but it's not my fave. I don't know why I don't like it. As you know, I eat tons of game, so why the heck don't I like lamb?

Oysters. Tried em twice. That will cover me for life. I love most sea-food and shell-fish - just not oysters.

Sweet potatoes were put on this earth to torment me. The mere smell of a roasted sweet potato makes me gag.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

If pushed for something, aduki bean "cakes". Like mashed baked beans with icing on.

Oysters have never done it for me, but because they're supposed to be some amazing food I persevere from time to time. Natto, yum.

spaghettios. Tried 'em once. Couldnt swallow the first bite.

How old were when you tried? I think these are only for those under the age of 16. These were a treat for me as a child even though my poor mother couldn't stand the smell. At some point I couldn't stomach them either.

Never eat again...olives. I'm done with trying them because I think I should like them.

I like cows, too. I hold buns against them. -- Bucky Cat.

Wow, I must have a cast iron palate. I don't like steamed chitlins, or boiled okra - too slimy, so I probably wouldn't like natto either - but fried they're OK. I wouldn't buy them, or choose them, but I wouldn't not eat them if offered; I might sample them at a potluck - maybe someone has a better recipe, and you won't know til you try.

It took me a while to get over finding half a larva in some cooked greens when I was about ten - I still remember it, but it no longer bothers me, and I like turnip greens, cooked and raw cabbage, spinach, and so on. There's a lot of industrial "food" that isn't worth the cardboard it's printed on, but it's not inedible or toxic(in small enough doses). I like the artificial flavor of McDonalds "vanilla shakes" (Skimmed milk, concentrated skimmed milk*1 , cream, sugar, skimmed milk solids*2 , glucose syrup. Stabilisers: guar gum, sodium polyphosphate, carrageenan and carboxymethylcellulose. Vanilla Flavour Milkshake Syrup - Sugar, water, flavouring. Acid: citric acid. Preservative: sodium benzoate. Colour: caramel. I think it used to have soy protein powder in the early days).

Goat cheese - yay! Liederkranz too.

Oysters, raw, steamed, sauteed, broiled, or fried - yum!

Chicken sashimi - if it was irradiated, or seriously marinated with acidic juice/vinegar.

The only thing I can't eat is mangoes - I'm seriously, projectile vomiting after one bite, allergic.

Swiss Chard...grew in my parents' garden...hated it, never ate it again. Like bad celery.

And of course, cilantro. Smells like overalls which have been worn about a month straight by a farmer who never takes a bath.

Salmon. Can't think why it's so popular. Last time I cooked it, I threw it away and decided I was through trying to make myself like it. Love it smoked, however.

Edited by ruthcooks (log)

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

Reposted sans image:

Bailer shell. It comes sans shall and bloody massive. Google it for some idea of what it looks like. I thawed one up and, having access to no more than a barbecue and portable electric stove, thinly sliced and stir-fried it. The smell ... oh God. The smell. I can handle smell when it comes to cheese. I'm fine with that. But there are some smells--some kinds of offal, some kinds of seafood (the stockpot that has been used to steam crabs, for example)--that I just can't handle. I don't know if it's an Aspie thing or what, but some smells can bring about a physical reaction in me. I damn near hurled. One of the kids I was cooking with ate it and said it was okay but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Never again. Too scared to head back into that seafood shop to pick up sea cucumber or any of the other interesting-looking stuff. I'm afraid of how that stuff will smell when I heat it up.

edit

I hope a link is okay.

http://www.wildsingapore.com.sg/wildfilms/blog/blogfotos/0606bb/060625bbd3342m6.jpg

Edited by ChrisTaylor (log)

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Reposted sans image:

Bailer shell. It comes sans shall and bloody massive. Google it for some idea of what it looks like. I thawed one up and, having access to no more than a barbecue and portable electric stove, thinly sliced and stir-fried it. The smell ... oh God. The smell. I can handle smell when it comes to cheese. I'm fine with that. But there are some smells--some kinds of offal, some kinds of seafood (the stockpot that has been used to steam crabs, for example)--that I just can't handle. I don't know if it's an Aspie thing or what, but some smells can bring about a physical reaction in me. I damn near hurled. One of the kids I was cooking with ate it and said it was okay but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Never again. Too scared to head back into that seafood shop to pick up sea cucumber or any of the other interesting-looking stuff. I'm afraid of how that stuff will smell when I heat it up.

Sea snails are tricky, especially big ones. My personal battles with a mollusk fetish has taught me to defer to the people who catch and eat them all the time, preferably for generations.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Fish lips. Don't know from what fish. All I know is that I was with my family in London's Chinatown and we couldn't agree on a place to eat. Touristy Chinese place beckoned. I like adventure so I got the Fish Lips. It was tasteless gelatinous goo. My brother and I both came down with violent food poisoning afterwards.

Okra or Brussels sprouts. I keep trying them both, in different recipes, and I keep not liking them, despite how everyone tells me how delicious they are if cooked right. Really, I think that if you have to disguise a food to make it palatable, you might as well just not eat it. And okra and Brussels sprouts are just not palatable to me.

I feel much better now! :biggrin:

Okra or Brussels sprouts. I keep trying them both, in different recipes, and I keep not liking them, despite how everyone tells me how delicious they are if cooked right. Really, I think that if you have to disguise a food to make it palatable, you might as well just not eat it. And okra and Brussels sprouts are just not palatable to me.

I feel much better now! :biggrin:

Special K, you may pass your Brussels sprouts to me; I'll trade all my black jelly beans and any other substance flavored with anise! Oddly enough though, I love black licorice! :wacko:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Come to think about it, I really HATE milk. In Japan, they serve milk everyday at school, it's a very rich 3.5% milk and I have never drank it. I love milk products, but a glass of milk gives me shivers.

I use to hate urchins until I came to Japan and I ate the really fresh stuff including fresh sea urchins in a morning fish market not too far from Fukuoka.

I don't like to eat fish bones, most Japanese do. I get weird looks from my students when I leave the bones in my plate. I was told all my life by my dearest mother that bones were dangerous, but the Japanese keep telling me that they are healthy...

Edited by Foodietopo (log)

My blog about food in Japan

Foodie Topography

www.foodietopography.com

Fat Free (Skim) Milk... I'm not big on milk flavored water, TYVM.

Word !

Give me nice, ice cold whole fat milk or go away. Sometimes I just crave it.

Does skim milk still have that sort of blue-ish color it did 40 years ago? That right there was enough to make me run far far away.

Edited by Pierogi (log)

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"