• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Will You NEVER Eat Again?

weinoo

I agree on goats cheese,the trouble is the billy goat urinates over the nanny as part of his courting technique and its impossible to get rid of the stink from the udder and thus into the cheese.

Well, I had no problem with goat's cheese before reading this, but I'm going to take a second look at it now.

Doesn't the courting take place a while before the feeding of the young and therefore the production of the milk?

i am struggling with this one... if the billy goat urinates "over the nanny" how does that possibly get into her milk??

i eat lots of goat cheese and have never detected the scent of urine. ever.

I will never knowingly eat lima beans again. Or liver.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Oh, one other thing: salmon (or perhaps it was tuna) jerky. It looked and smelled fine, but had the weirdest tannic effect in my mouth, one of the strangest disagreeable sensations I've ever had. The effect was so strong, I couldn't actually taste it, because the entire inside of my mouth took on the texture and functional capacity of tissue paper.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Beef cheeks.....uhhgg the rubbery texture. Give me a good steak anyday :smile:

Smell and taste are in fact but a single composite sense, whose laboratory is the mouth and its chimney the nose. - Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

Andouillette.

As I described it elsewhere:

It smells like the after effects of a baby getting into a block of Roquefort and cutting into it produces something akin to Han Solo slicing into a tonton. The taste...well, it was better than the smell or appearance, but that isn't saying much.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

Years ago my wife and I embarked on the dreaded Atkins system. There is no doubt low carb eating leads to weight loss.

But what i will NEVER eat again is any low carb baked goods full of weird stuff. I made them and I will never make, and most certainly not eat a muffin made with soy flour and protein powder. The texture and taste is horrible. Won't ever eat anything like that again.

And roasted shreded cauliflower does NOT taste just like french fries.

Edited by lancastermike (log)

There are lots and lots of things I hope never to eat again, most of them being in the junk or fast foods/highly processed categories. There are also plenty of foods, like natto, which I have never tasted but don't want to either. At the top of my list though are the foods that if made from scratch with lots of love I still wouldn't eat ever again. They include beef liver, tripe, tapioca or any kind of bubble tea, soft boiled eggs, turkish delight and Pernod.

Chicken sashimi. Just couldn't wrap my mind around that one.

Chris,

You have JUST restored my faith in th word "gourmet". You & the gentleman who despises uni! There is a reason why civilization included the use of fire!! And there is a word, "involution", that nice people like Bourdain, have not cared sufficiently to plumb!!

Chitlins. Tasted every bit as bad as they smelled cooking. Maybe it was just the way the person prepared them but I seriously doubt they'll ever get another chance to prove themselves to me.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Natto is so many kinds of foul...and I don't have a texture problem - I can make a triple batch of tapioca disappear before it's cooled to room temp. I like fermentation flavors, but, ewwwwwwwww.

Tibetan momo balls bother me. One bad exposure as a child. I think it was the bland steamed wrapper meeting the funky mutton.

I'm queasy just thinking of the notion of a Japanese-Tibetan fusion concept...natto-laced momo balls....

Jell-O, or any other overtly gelatinized thing. Textural there, just can't handle it.

Eggplant, it's the taste as well as the texture I can't deal with.

Oddly enough, I've made peace with lima beans, which I hated when I was a kid. So long as they're not cooked to mush.

But don't try to feed me gelatin. For that reason, I've never (and *will* never) eaten a raw oyster.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Goats urine smells like the cheese, it is so powerful that it is not possible to milk a goat without contaminating the liquid.The billy is such a randy beast that he will try to mount anything he comes into contact with, a bit like politicians :biggrin:

Pam Brunning Editor Food & Wine, the Journal of the European & African Region of the International Wine & Food Society

My link

large intestine. :( it was in a breakfast soup i had in cold Songpan county. the smell, omg the smell! apparently my companion didn't detect any 'smell'. i stopped eating at once.

another disgusting/funny thing was a sweet snack (in Vietnam). i happened to walk by a vendor with a rig on the pavement, bought a little bowl of this sweet thing by pointing at it. well, i immediately vomited, literally. i was laughing at the same time. it was like snot lol. i was eating snot. luckily the vendor also had other sweet things that were a lot more palatable.

If your goat milk producer is allowing a buck (aka billy goat) near the milking goats, he or she is doing it wrong. Bucks do stink, but a good producer keeps the them well away from the milking does, who do not need his presence at all.

The doe is dried off (milking is tapered off until she is no longer producing), then she has a magic moment with the buck, which might include a golden shower, then they are separated. After her kid is born (a five month pregnancy), then milking begins again.

As far the the topic, I will never eat tapioca again. Or turnips. Or beets.

sparrowgrass

Chitlins. Turnip greens or their more rural cousin, "poke sallet." Calves liver (I will eat chicken liver in a pate, but that's about it). Raccoon, bear, beaver and possum (greasy, gamy, nasty tasting).

And -- sigh -- lamb shanks. I've TRIED to like lamb shanks, braised them in all sorts of preparations that others raved about. Just not crazy about lamb, and particularly not shanks.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Uni, aka Sea Urchin. I've seen more than one TV chef just gushing over this stuff, how it tastes like almonds, or tastes like the sea. What a load of crap. For the uninitiated, sea urchin has the consistency and coloration of phlegm and doesn't taste much better. It is the most vile food substance I've ever eaten, but that doesn't stop me from trying it again and again. I'm hoping my palette will someday wake up and I'll suddenly see what the big deal is. But it hasn't happened yet.

I've always wanted to try uni and I don't think I'll ever get the chance....you've made me feel better about that! :smile: