• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Will You NEVER Eat Again?

weinoo

I'm interested in foods/dishes that will never cross your lips again. Now, don't take it so literally; of course, if you were on a desert island, and had nothing else to eat...

One of my choices is natto. Don't get offended if you happen to like natto...it's just that I don't. We have a whole topic about it over here, so you can talk about it all you want. Just - don't serve it to me, please.

What will you NEVER eat again?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Goat Cheese...having worked many years in "gourmet" retail I have tried from the top to the bottom in price, quality, and age, and just not gonna do it again.

There are plenty of things that I have learned to like and even more that I am willing to keep trying but....

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Uni, aka Sea Urchin. I've seen more than one TV chef just gushing over this stuff, how it tastes like almonds, or tastes like the sea. What a load of crap. For the uninitiated, sea urchin has the consistency and coloration of phlegm and doesn't taste much better. It is the most vile food substance I've ever eaten, but that doesn't stop me from trying it again and again. I'm hoping my palette will someday wake up and I'll suddenly see what the big deal is. But it hasn't happened yet.

I have simple tastes. I am always satisfied with the best - Oscar Wilde

The Easy Bohemian

What will you NEVER eat again?

McDonald's. (Most fast food, in fact. I'll have an In-N-Out or a Fatburger occasionally. But that's it.)

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Bear gall; I didn't know what it was when I was drinking it the first time.

Was this in Thailand, by any chance? I've read that the Thai people really enjoy bitter things.

I really cannot eat instant mashed potatoes. Not because of their substandard texture, but because it vividly evokes my being young and stupid enough to live in conditions that included sleeping with a message in my pocket stating how I wanted my remains disposed of, should I be found frozen to death. When I first went off to uni. I lived for several months on instant mashed potatoes (made with hot water from the tap, because I couldn't afford to pay for electricity, so couldn't use the stove): they were the cheapest thing going. I'm not even that fond of proper mash any longer (oddly, I haven't gone off Victorian and Edwardian fiction, which is where I got that being 'poor but honest' business in the first place).

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Was this in Thailand, by any chance? I've read that the Thai people really enjoy bitter things.

Vietnam, actually. And it wasn't really something I could refuse, for social reasons. I drank it then, but wouldn't repeat the experience if I had the choice.

I agree on goats cheese,the trouble is the billy goat urinates over the nanny as part of his courting technique and its impossible to get rid of the stink from the udder and thus into the cheese.

Pam Brunning Editor Food & Wine, the Journal of the European & African Region of the International Wine & Food Society

My link

Another vote for natto. Smell, taste and texture all read "spoiled" to me. Funny thing is, I'd actually been looking forward to trying the stuff, since I usually enjoy fermented foods quite a bit.

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

I agree on goats cheese,the trouble is the billy goat urinates over the nanny as part of his courting technique and its impossible to get rid of the stink from the udder and thus into the cheese.

Well, I had no problem with goat's cheese before reading this, but I'm going to take a second look at it now.

Chicken sashimi. Just couldn't wrap my mind around that one.

YUCK! Someone once tried to serve me Rare chicken. On purpose!

It wasn't yucky at all: very clean and smooth. But -- for I'm sure purely cultural reasons -- I just couldn't relax and treat it like tasty food. It was RAW CHICKEN.

I think this is how some of my customers feel when I offer them a cocktail with a raw egg in it.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Well, I had no problem with goat's cheese before reading this, but I'm going to take a second look at it now.

Doesn't the courting take place a while before the feeding of the young and therefore the production of the milk?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I'm done trying to enjoy frozen pizzas from a grocery store box.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Hot dogs! Lived on them for months on end back in the late 60s due to money issues - the smell of them cooking brings on nausea.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I'd have to go with a candy specialty from Avila in Spain, yemas de Santa Teresa. They're pretty much candied egg yolks, and in taste and texture they are sort of like a raw egg yolk saturated with sugar. I was in Avila and felt I had to try one, and I regretted it. I couldn't even get one bite down. There's a picture here.

Cod milt.

Didn't do it for me either, but in a chowder it adds an interesting tone.

Most processed food makes me gag - that frozen pizza is just not food.

@Big Mike: Uni has a short shelf life. Metropolitan sushi bars just don't have it fresh enough no matter what they claim. If you are ever up here in Maine, the season is October through February - try 'em then.

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Liver. Beef, pork, or chicken. I just can't. I keep trying hoping I'll develop a taste for it but no go.

Foie Gras is another story, I love that stuff on the rare occasions I eat it.

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.