• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Best Modern Corkscrew

MarkIsCooking

There are several old forums on this topic, but I'm in need of some modern advice. I have a wine enthusiast's birthday next week and I'm looking to get him the very best corkscrew I can find.

I have a rabbit model like this, which I've had for years and think is awesome.

I definitely don't want your basic (though functional I know) model like this.

I have a glass of wine here and there, but I know some eGullitiers are downing several bottles a week. I need your experience !

What say you? Looking for specific manufacturers, model numbers, links to places that sell the one you think is best, etc.

Thanks in advance!!

-mark

---------------------------------------------------------

"If you don't want to use butter, add cream."

Julia Child

I have always used the basic waiter style with no problem but my wife just can't seem to get the strength to pull the cork out. Even with the rabbit style that you like she still finds it awkward to pull up on the handle. I personally find the rabbit design to be way to big for the job it has to do. Recently while searching out a better alternative to keep us both happy I tried the Screwpull like this one

I find this a very easy and effective method that doesn't take up a whole drawer in your kitchen or bar. Just keep twisting the handle and the screw goes in and the cork comes out. Finally we have a cork screw that we can both be happy with.

Best Modern..

Electric Opener!!

This one from Target works fine

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/191-5793201-2050504?asin=B000SAJGXO&AFID=msncashback_df&LNM=|B000SAJGXO&CPNG=appliances&ci_src=18492716&ci_sku=B000SAJGXO&ref=tgt_adv_XSB10001

I'll add in the As-Ho too!! If you ever have soft corks.. its a must

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)

Its good to have Morels

I have always used the basic waiter style with no problem but my wife just can't seem to get the strength to pull the cork out. Even with the rabbit style that you like she still finds it awkward to pull up on the handle. I personally find the rabbit design to be way to big for the job it has to do. Recently while searching out a better alternative to keep us both happy I tried the Screwpull like this one

I find this a very easy and effective method that doesn't take up a whole drawer in your kitchen or bar. Just keep twisting the handle and the screw goes in and the cork comes out. Finally we have a cork screw that we can both be happy with.

I second the Screwpull recommedation!

third'ed... there's just something clunky, inelegant and down-right dorky about electric wine openers.

Edited by Crouton (log)

The Screwpull works well -- for as long as it stays together. Maybe they've changed the way they're assembled, but after having two literally fall apart at the seams (that's thirty bucks in the trash), I went back to an articulated waiter-style screw.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

third'ed... there's just something clunky, inelegant and down-right dorky about electric wine openers.

Whoa!!

Its good to have Morels

Whoa!!

This is coming from a computer engineer... so take that with a grain of salt. Dork :)

Edited by Crouton (log)

I think a wine enthusiast would be very happy with a nicely made Laguiole waiter's corkscrew, for which you could pay as little or as much as you like: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=laguiole+waiter%27s+corkscrew&x=14&y=22.

That said, I do keep a Screwpull around for particularly difficult corks. They do fall apart, but if you only use the things every once in a great while, they'll last a long time.

Well Done!!

My only reason, I got one, and it surprised me. I run an Italian Wine event in Omaha and open 200 plus bottles of wine. Is thier such thing as wine openers elbow!! :shock:

This thing was a blessing!! btw It is now broken!! Ooops

But it worked well for my wife when it worked. Cheers

ohh its Doc :biggrin:

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)

Its good to have Morels

Depends upon how much you like your friend. THE best corkscrew isn't modern at all, but was invented some time ago.

go here to view.

The Estate wine opener is absolutely the best. We've had one for years & have given several our serious wino friends. Always a hit & always a conversation piece.

The real point, however, is that they are the best & easiest tool for opening wine that we've ever found.

Screwpull, waiters, and so forth are all good, but just don't compare in terms of ease of use, versatility or sheer utility at a party.

So, how much do you really like your friend? They ain't cheap.

I definitely don't want your basic (though functional I know) model like this.

Waiters corkscrews are probably the most widely used and best ones made. There are of course a lot of variations of the basic design but overall they work very well, are easy to use and very portable! I used to carry one with me all the time in my carry-on luggage until TSA came along and it said they were illegal to carry onboard.

Edited by MSRadell (log)

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

I think for a waiter a waiter's corkscrew is great, but the virtue of carry-on-person portability is much less at home. And no matter how well-made a waiter's corkscrew is, you need pretty good leverage to get corks out with it.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I had a Rabbit for a several years, and just recently put it in the Goodwill pile because I found it absolutely impossible for me to get the cork off the worm after it came out of the bottle. Getting the cork out of the bottle was slick, but getting the cork off needed brute strength or finger dexterity I don't possess. I had finally limited it's use to when I had guests that could remove the cork for me.

I should mention I have very weak hands and wrists. Still, even with that limitation, the traditional waiter's corkscrew I picked up for about 5 bucks at Trader Joe's is easier for me to use than the Rabbit was. For me, if someone were gifting me, the Laguiole would be the bee's knees, because it's so pretty.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

As usual, you guys are awesome.

I'd usually be in the camp of MSRadell in terms of sticking with the tried and true waiter's corkscrew. This gift is for a very low-tech guy turning 60 and I think I've decided to go with a Screwpull type lever design similar to the one I have had for over 10 years now.

It's very easy to use. He saw it at my house and really liked it. Case closed. Found one gift boxed just like mine with the foil cutter and a spare screw for a great price on Amazon.

Dave's link to the antique style serious model is VERY cool, though, and I'm definitely holding on that info.

Bottoms up!

---------------------------------------------------------

"If you don't want to use butter, add cream."

Julia Child

I had a Rabbit for a several years, and just recently put it in the Goodwill pile because I found it absolutely impossible for me to get the cork off the worm after it came out of the bottle. Getting the cork out of the bottle was slick, but getting the cork off needed brute strength or finger dexterity I don't possess. I had finally limited it's use to when I had guests that could remove the cork for me.

I should mention I have very weak hands and wrists. Still, even with that limitation, the traditional waiter's corkscrew I picked up for about 5 bucks at Trader Joe's is easier for me to use than the Rabbit was. For me, if someone were gifting me, the Laguiole would be the bee's knees, because it's so pretty.

Uhh... with the rabbit, you just clamp the arms around the cork and pull the lever out. It doesn't take any effort at all.

PS: I am a guy.

I had a Rabbit for a several years, and just recently put it in the Goodwill pile because I found it absolutely impossible for me to get the cork off the worm after it came out of the bottle. (snip)

Uhh... with the rabbit, you just clamp the arms around the cork and pull the lever out. It doesn't take any effort at all.

My Rabbit worked that way, I believe, precisely once, maybe twice. I don't know if I had a defective one or what, but I literally would have to wedge the lever against the counter, and lean on the squeeze handle with all my might to remove the worm from the cork. I actually replaced the worm because I knew how it was *supposed* to work, and it didn't, so I thought the worm had bent. The second worm performed the same way, so after another series of struggles with it, I ditched it and stuck with what works for me.

Edit for clarity.

Edited by Pierogi (log)

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

I seebthebimmediate problem has been solved, but I wanted ton throw a vote in for a different model of Screwpull: the portable.

http://www.amazon.com/Screwpull-S1115-31-Pocket-Corkscrew-Black/dp/B0001UZOF0/ref=sr_1_3?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1295576708&sr=1-3

It's super easy to use as the twirly top gives me a bit of leverage instead of having to just crank. I find rabbits awkward and too darn big.

Glad you found something for your friend!